Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018/2019

Comments

• Southampton tomorrow I still don't feel confident enough to look at such a game as a walkover not just yet wonder will any of the kids get game time with the big one on Wednesday. Pogba to star tomorrow then get the blame on Wednesday for being in the stands.

Tbf Pogba already got the blame when he was sent off in the first leg!

Regardless he's not involved now so up to the others to try step up and make a game of it. There is some weird twinge of confidence in the back of my head about the PSG game. Particularly given PSGs history of collapse in the competition before. And our away form has been incredible of late. I think it will be closer than people think. A solid performance would be great for confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Tbf Pogba already got the blame when he was sent off in the first leg!

Regardless he's not involved now so up to the others to try step up and make a game of it. There is some weird twinge of confidence in the back of my head about the PSG game. Particularly given PSGs history of collapse in the competition before. And our away form has been incredible of late. I think it will be closer than people think. A solid performance would be great for confidence.

Possibly without our 3 main midfielders for the PsG game.. not even a tiny hope of a win unless lingard rashford and Martial all play, even then I reckon PSG will just sit back and hit us on the counter which makes it harder for those three to get into the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    Possibly without our 3 main midfielders for the PsG game.. not even a tiny hope of a win unless lingard rashford and Martial all play, even then I reckon PSG will just sit back and hit us on the counter which makes it harder for those three to get into the game

United won a champions league final without the 2 best midfield players in europe.. scholes and keane.

BELIEVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Southampton's record at OT is worryingly good. One loss in the post Fergie era I believe. It would be pretty sickening if we drop points tomorrow but this game is certainly not a gimme.

I assume Ole's press conference is in half an hour? The joys of consistency. Would be nice to have Martial back as an option at the very least.

bangkok wrote: »
    United won a champions league final without the 2 best midfield players in europe.. scholes and keane.

BELIEVE

Yes but they had Neville, Irwin and Stam in defense and 4 strikers who had a massive wealth of experience between them..

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that to me, I'd be very surprised if it happened

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Southampton's record at OT is worryingly good. One loss in the post Fergie era I believe. It would be pretty sickening if we drop points tomorrow but this game is certainly not a gimme.

I assume Ole's press conference is in half an hour? The joys of consistency. Would be nice to have Martial back as an option at the very least.

Absolutely hate the fixture, they have really stepped up in Stokes absence to be a thorn in Uniteds side.

Man I'm being a downer today..

**** it 4-0 United.. martial Rash and Sanchez all on the scoresheet

Yes but they had Neville, Irwin and Stam in defense and 4 strikers who had a massive wealth of experience between them..

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that to me, I'd be very surprised if it happened

Ah yea, in fairness 99 team was class. Beckham played centre mid that night with butt and was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Don't get why people engage if they believe someone is posting just for a reaction.
    Surely if that's what you believe you're just giving them exactly what they want?

If you really believe someone is posting to get a rise I'd suggest just ignoring it and letting them going crazy.

source.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Going to the match tomorrow, last match I was at was the cup match against Derby, let's hope I've not become an unlucky charm. :pac:

Going to the match tomorrow, last match I was at was the cup match against Derby, let's hope I've not become an unlucky charm. :pac:

Think we will win easy enough... pogba is currently unplayable and wont be playing wed night so i reckon he will get a couple of goals and sanchez will get one

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I really hate just adding to the nonsense, but just look back over the past few pages at who has derailed it. Any mention of liverpool has come from Utd fans. The mention of some combined 11 came from a Utd fan. All the derailment of 'fans from t'other side' has come from Utd fans.

Myself and the other liverpool fan were actively trying to have a discussion about the merits of Ole V Poch. And instead of a single post answering any point I raised, there's just complaints that I posted at all.

I have no interest in stoking up 'banter', i post in whatever thread looks a bit active during the Irish night time (or daytime for me).

If people just stuck to the thread title, we'd all be grand.

I've been coasting through the thread so will have a look back at the points. I've written a bit about my views of Poch versus Ole in the past, a lot of points people will disagree with.

Firstly I don't buy the narrative that Ole lacks experience, yes his success and best experience has come in the Norwegian League and with the United reserves, which many don't value but he's been coaching long time (longer than Poch).

I don't think Ole get's enough credit from some who say he's only there because he's an ex player, certainly a factor but saying that does him an injustice I think. It's funny enough that Poch's career or breakthrough really came from him being an ex-player thrown into a manager role of his club, with no previous experience I believe.

I rate Poch a lot, really like him but I would much rather we continued with Ole and see where this goes than completely changing ship again. It's been talked over and over but there's no denying he has some great experience tapping into the knowledge of Fergie, knows the club and what the fans want, managed a lot of the players at underage so already has had relationships with them and knows what their capable of, and he's built a great team around him. His analytic brain when it comes to the game has been noted previously before he got the job as extremely impressive (years on the bench I suppose!) and I've posted many times but Beckham around 7-8 years ago mentioned he could be a future United manager after Fergie.

He's won over the players, implimenting style and formation to get the best out of them and generally improving them. This isn't the first time he's rebuilt a former club that he played for and coached youths for, so for me I feel it can be sustainable.

Our fanbase, dressing room and overall feel has been divided and up and down since Fergie left. For once in those years we've had a great consistent stretch of optimism and a feel good factor where things are looking to improve. I think making a change now would ruin the work that has been done and set us back to a rebuild mode from scratch. New manager, brings in his own staff and will need to build relationships with the players again and go through the period of deciding who's staying, who's going and who's our targets. Ole has been afforded time to do this already.

In my opinion it's not worth scraping the progress that's being done in fear that Ole can't continue it or that he isn't a big enough name. People might refer to it as pre-emptive but he's most certainly done enough already to warrant the job in my eyes.

I always wanted poch... my number one choice. One of the best young managers around, but the job ole has done, the feel good factor, zero bull****, respect the players have for him, the backroom team, i think he should be given the job in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

As a Liverpool fan I can tell you my view has changed from hoping Solsjkaer gets the job to hoping he doesn't. Genuinely think he should be in the mix for manager of the year, certainly if he gets them into the CL or heaven forbid wins the thing. Utd at Anfield this year was the worst performance I remember from them there. He's breaking records with the same team. Ultimately it may not work out, football's a fickle business but I don't think there's a serious debate that he won't be given the chance.

Looks like no change on the injury front. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Looks like no change on the injury front. :(

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/1101421821990133761

Everyone else was already announced as being out for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Absolutely hate the fixture, they have really stepped up in Stokes absence to be a thorn in Uniteds side.

Man I'm being a downer today..

**** it 4-0 United.. martial Rash and Sanchez all on the scoresheet

F**k it, yeah I think we will win with a bit to spare.
    I know their record against us is good.

But tbf they've lost twice to Cardiff in the last few months.

Even a patched up United team should be too good for them.

Rom will be full of confidence after Wednesday night. Marcus possibly back in the starting XI.
    And Pogba will definitely play.

2-0 United.

And hopefully a draw in the North London derby :)

A front line of rashford Sanchez and lukaku should be more than enough... I hope martial is left out completely and let recover fully and be used then on wednesday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

A front line of rashford Sanchez and lukaku should be more than enough... I hope martial is left out completely and let recover fully and be used then on wednesday

Might be wise to hold back Rashford from the start as well.

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/1101421821990133761

Everyone else was already announced as being out for a few weeks.
    Here was Ole's initial quote.
    I don’t think there will be many changes. We have got the last session today, but w are not going to risk anyone if they are not 100 per cent. So let’s see tomorrow when we wake up.

The squad will be looking similar, still. Maybe one third of it will be Academy kids - maybe even more. So that is a good point to take out of it.

He then followed it up with this which I had not seen.
    It's the last session today but we're not going take any risks. Maybe Anthony, but it might just be a few more days before he's ready, so probably the squad will look similar to what it did at Wednesday.

But to me that reads as we are more than likely going to have the same squad tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

DM_7 wrote: »
    Might be wise to hold back Rashford from the start as well.

I was dissapointed to see him come on against Palace..... He should of been rested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Generally speaking, top level clubs hire managers with a higher expectation of success built upon the foundations of their careers to date.

This is the kind of crazy thinking that lead to Mourinho being hired.

(also the kind of thinking that meant a cohort of managers seemed to be in permanent rotation, never achieving much but always getting jobs on the basis of experience)

'Solskjaer unsure on Valencia future'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11651574

More than likely gone

'Poch: I finally won a trophy!'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11651445

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,714 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

More than likely gone

Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Headshot wrote: »
    Fingers crossed

Ronaldo's replacement

• Advertisement

More than likely gone

Liked the quotes regarding De Gea negotiations.
    "David has done fantastic since he came, the club really showed how much they wanted him back in the day, when Eric and the gaffer found him.

"There were probably 'keepers there that were better at that time but the belief the manager showed in him when he was criticised early on has paid dividends now.

"He has been player of the year for the last four or five years. We are grateful to have him but then again we have Sergio and Lee, so we have a fantastic goalkeeper department.

"I don't think there is any manager in the world who would beat me on that respect."

Pretty much noted how great he is, but also gave credit to the club and including the back-ups. Praise all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ronaldo's replacement

Valencia had some really good seasons, great pace and crossing ability

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Liked the quotes regarding De Gea negotiations.

Pretty much noted how great he is, but also gave credit to the club and including the back-ups. Praise all round.

I thought he was saying that the club has cover if he leaves, that they won't be held to ransom maybe?

Here was Ole's initial quote.

He then followed it up with this which I had not seen.

But to me that reads as we are more than likely going to have the same squad tomorrow.

Other than Martial nobody is expected back for a few weeks. This was known before the Palace game, so I confused as to why you're surprised that the squad will be similar to Wednesday.

RayCun wrote: »

I wasn't having a go; he's been a good servant. Just reminiscing of Fergie selling possibly the world's best and buying Valencia.

• Advertisement

I wasn't having a go; he's been a good servant. Just reminiscing of Fergie selling possibly the world's best and buying Valencia.

No matter who he signed, they were never going to be like ronaldo. Valencia was excellent for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RayCun wrote: »

Had, that's the thing.
    Great crossing ability, smashing the ball off defenders shins maybe but crossing ability? Nah.
    Before he broke his leg,he was very good but after that,he was functional.

The year he got player off the year (i think) he set up a load of goals by getting to tge byline and dinking it across the box

Never saw him do it after the injury though not sure what happened him as he didnt lose the pace he just forgot how to be a winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't really want to denigrate Pochettino, if the club were managerless and looking for a new manager then he would be as good a candidate as any. Not a great candidate, he is a guy who has never won anything and has never managed one of the really big clubs, but considering the managerial market out there he could make a case for himself.

But that isn't the scenario. We are not managerless and he is not some great proven manager that would demand consideration for the role. And not only are we not managerless, in fact there is a guy there who has done pretty damn good at every turn so far.

This isn't "find a manager", it's "stick with a guy doing well or gamble on somebody else", it's "stick or twist" and frankly I don't think anything Pochettino has done gives him enough weight to make the club want to twist.

Had, that's the thing.
    Great crossing ability, smashing the ball off defenders shins maybe but crossing ability? Nah.
    Before he broke his leg,he was very good but after that,he was functional.

He had his best season assist wise the year after the leg break so that cant be used as an excuse for him.. he just lost it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The great thing is you can wait until the end of the season to decide on both Ole and Pochetinno. Ole's start is genuinely as good as it could possibly have been, considering that winning every game isn't a reasonable expectation. And yet, he's 3 - 5 losses away from getting nothing out of it in terms of a CL, FA Cup or CL place for next year.

It's absolutely possible that a heavy defeat in Paris allied to a cup exit and a slight drop off in the league leaves things a bit more nuanced in May. He's not going anywhere else and won't be getting huffy if a decision is delayed so I'd let the next couple of months play out - for both managers. Whatever you're thinking of either now might be substantially different when the season is concluded.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The great thing is you can wait until the end of the season to decide on both Ole and Pochetinno. Ole's start is genuinely as good as it could possibly have been, considering that winning every game isn't a reasonable expectation. And yet, he's 3 - 5 losses away from getting nothing out of it in terms of a CL, FA Cup or CL place for next year.

It's absolutely possible that a heavy defeat in Paris allied to a cup exit and a slight drop off in the league leaves things a bit more nuanced in May. He's not going anywhere else and won't be getting huffy if a decision is delayed so I'd let the next couple of months play out - for both managers. Whatever you're thinking of either now might be substantially different when the season is concluded.

If Utd finish outside the top 4 it won't be Oles fault. The fact that he's got Utd challenging for it says everything that needs to be said. We already had a bad defeat at home to PSG and bounced back by beating Chelsea away. Not winning the FA cup won't change anyones opinion either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Utd finish outside the top 4 it won't be Oles fault. The fact that he's got Utd challenging for it says everything that needs to be said. We already had a bad defeat at home to PSG and bounced back by beating Chelsea away. Not winning the FA cup won't change anyones opinion either.

I completely agree that it won't be his fault. But emotion and the feeling of momentum is a tangible thing. It's all good vibes right now and rightly so - but it only takes a few losses and negative competitive outcomes to change the mood a little. At which point it might be easier to pull up and objectively ask the question of Ole / Poch

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I completely agree that it won't be his fault. But emotion and the feeling of momentum is a tangible thing. It's all good vibes right now and rightly so - but it only takes a few losses and negative competitive outcomes to change the mood a little. At which point it might be easier to pull up and objectively ask the question of Ole / Poch

A few losses won't actually change anyones opinion, because we're all aware that the run isn't sustainable. Especially with the heavy injury list.

The fact is though that bringing Poch in would be a bigger gamble at this stage than keeping Ole, who's shown himself to be a good tactician who can motivate the players and who (admittedly in a smaller league) has actually won leagues and cups.

A few losses won't actually change anyones opinion, because we're all aware that the run isn't sustainable. Especially with the heavy injury list.

The fact is though that bringing Poch in would be a bigger gamble at this stage than keeping Ole, who's shown himself to be a good tactician who can motivate the players and who (admittedly in a smaller league) has actually won leagues and cups.

Completely agree.

Like I said, big fan of Poch but I think we've become so focused on bringing in a big name both on the pitch and in the stands that we something overlook whether the parts fit.

Right now he may not be a big name but he's completely proven he deserves the job and exactly like you say making a change and starting new would be a big risk when for once we are looking solid and in the right direction, for how long it lasts who knows. If he was a bigger name there would be less questions regarding whether to give him the job or not. Despite how good Poch has been the last number of years no guarantee he will do it for us and foolish to throw away what Ole has built in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

This is all kind of unnecessary though.

Pochettino has proven capable of getting a limited squad challenging on multiple fronts over the course of seasons. That is not in doubt. That they haven't won anything doesn't change that fact.

Ole has done a remarkable job, literally the best job any new manager has ever done in the Premier League. Right now he can do no wrong, and has rightly put himself in the reckoning for the permanent position.

But it doesn't matter. His strong start hasn't suddenly given him extra bargaining powers that means the powers that be now need to snap him up. Nor has his success meant Poch needs to win the league or CL to oust him from the permanent role. The permanent role is vacant and will remain so until the summer. Shifting the decision making to now is hypothetical and irrelevant, as relevant as an alternative league table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

As things are now

Who wants ole

Who thinks he isn't the man for the job long term

I personally want ole, his passion for the club and the fans is first class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

at this stage unless it completely falls apart ole has to get the job

most of the worries i have is more the id hate to see a legend sacked if this was half season wonder sort of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

sky88 wrote: »
    at this stage unless it completely falls apart ole has to get the job

most of the worries i have is more the id hate to see a legend sacked if this was half season wonder sort of thing
    Shorter contracts year on year would take the sting out of it just let him stay term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,225 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

From an outsider looking in, here are my thoughts:

Ole's getting the job. The sooner it becomes overall accepted, the easier it gets. Fans are all on his side so not giving the job will undo all the work he has done to pick the team off the ground.

Remember everything being said about buying a CB and how United's entire season rested on that one signing that was never made. He has proven that to be a load of s***e. Especially when you look at the above stats about United conceding the least goals since he took over.

Remember when at the start of the pre-season, the "special one" said that the young players at United were not good enough. Well straight after the Liverpool-United game in his interview, Sky basically gave Ole the chance to start moaning and crying about injuries straight away, but instead he turned it around and said that instead it was a "great opportunity for great young players" coming through instead. (something i have to give big credit to Ole for)

Remember when it was always a case of Martial starting a game on the left wing and Rashford on the bench. On 70 mins, the sub would be made and one would come on for the other and then the following game, it was the other way around and we were told that the 2 of them couldn't play together. Ole has them playing great together, especially Rashford.

Remember when all the United fans were saying how petulant Pogba was and had to leave the club etc, took the old managers side in the weekly war of words. Saying how they needed to invent this new position just to accommodate him etc. And now look at Pogba and they are now claiming that he is the best midfielder in the league and other superlatives.

Ole, and well Ferguson behind the scenes too, have changed all of that mindset in United fans heads from the utter tripe they were fed before hand and lapped up to now actually believing in the team and what they have instead of constantly hearing complaints every week. Ole is getting it no matter what. Ferguson actually likes him and that is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

I definitely have jumped from "why Ole" to "why someone else". I think by changing things in the summer we won't get any immediate benefit. If things don't work out with ole next season it's no different to another manager coming in and failing but he has momentum, he has respect, he has inside knowledge of the club.

When Moyes was appointed I was happy because I felt we were trying to build another legacy, granted that's a very difficult thing to do twice in a row after the GOAT retired, and obviously it didn't go to well. LVG and JM were brought in based on their track record but they were only ever going to be short/medium term even if successful at United.

The timing feels right to give Ole a go and see if he can build something long term. He is only 48, and I feel there is nowhere he'd rather be so if he can carry on in a similar vein then we could potentially have a long term manager. Stability always helps, I would prefer a gradual increase in success rather than peaks and troughs that can happen with short term/quick fix appointments.

If Poch got the job and did well I feel the Real carrot would be hanging in front of him constantly. This is fantasy stuff but Ole could have 20 years of management in him. I say fvck it, let's give it a go. He has won trophies as a player and manager to a lesser extent. He's got a winning mentality and I feel players will respect him when he's trying to motivate them for the big games. It won't happen overnight but barring a complete collapse, a couple of seasons of a steady ship is exactly what the club needs. After what Jose did here, the only way is up. As Leicester showed, if you work with each other and play for each other that's a huge part of the battle won.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

areu4real? wrote: »
    I definitely have jumped from "why Ole" to "why someone else". I think by changing things in the summer we won't get any immediate benefit. If things don't work out with ole next season it's no different to another manager coming in and failing but he has momentum, he has respect, he has inside knowledge of the club.

When Moyes was appointed I was happy because I felt we were trying to build another legacy, granted that's a very difficult thing to do twice in a row after the GOAT retired, and obviously it didn't go to well. LVG and JM were brought in based on their track record but they were only ever going to be short/medium term even if successful at United.

The timing feels right to give Ole a go and see if he can build something long term. He is only 48, and I feel there is nowhere he'd rather be so if he can carry on in a similar vein then we could potentially have a long term manager. Stability always helps, I would prefer a gradual increase in success rather than peaks and troughs that can happen with short term/quick fix appointments.

If Poch got the job and did well I feel the Real carrot would be hanging in front of him constantly. This is fantasy stuff but Ole could have 20 years of management in him. I say fvck it, let's give it a go. He has won trophies as a player and manager to a lesser extent. He's got a winning mentality and I feel players will respect him when he's trying to motivate them for the big games. It won't happen overnight but barring a complete collapse, a couple of seasons of a steady ship is exactly what the club needs. After what Jose did here, the only way is up. As Leicester showed, if you work with each other and play for each other that's a huge part of the battle won.

He's even younger . 46 the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

areu4real? wrote: »
    I definitely have jumped from "why Ole" to "why someone else".

Me too, but I think the club shouldn't confirm it until end of the season.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement