Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing car battery concerns

• 28-02-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have a 2003 Peugeot 406 Hdi. The original battery has only just died after 15 years in the car. I have got a replacement, but changing a battery these days is not so straightforward as it used to be what with all the electrics on cars now.

The battery is flat. At the moment I have a solar powered battery maintainer in the windscreen attached to the cigarette lighter. The radio works and I can open & lock doors.
    But, I am concerned about changing the battery over with the replacement battery that I have. Here are some of the instructions for disconnecting a battery on this type of car:
    Whenever a vehicle battery has to be disconnected, switch off all equipment interior lights etc. close the doors
    leaving the driver's window down.
    2. Switch off the ignition and remove the key and DIAG if connected.
    3. Wait a full 3-minutes before disconnecting the battery.
    The BSI must be allowed to go to sleep i.e into 'Power Save' mode. Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even opening the bonnet will wake up the BSI on the vehicle fitted with an alarm.
    If the battery is under the bonnet open the bonnet first and leave it up.

The BSI is the ECU that controls things like immobilizer, instrument cluster, central locking etc. It seems there is a danger of these not working properly after disconnecting the battery.

Full instructions here:-
    https://bit.ly/2EBYXBL

So I cannot open the driver’s window, no power, for some reason, the only window that will open on the car is the driver’s side rear passenger door window.
    The cigarette lighter in the car works but only lukewarm.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed given that I cannot open the driver’s window?
    Has anyone ever used a memory minder that you hook up to another battery and connect either to the OECB port or to the cigarette lighter? Examples like this available on Amazon:-

https://amzn.to/2T2UIIt

https://amzn.to/2SAFzsE

Could this be a way around this problem of the BSI potentially corrupting itself?
    Which would be the best one to go for? The one that attaches to cigarette lighter or the one to the OECB port?

Any advice / suggestions much appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

Hi ,
    I have 2001 406 2.0 HDi , I am aware of the BSI procedure you call out .
    I have disconnected my battery several times, both to replace the battery and to carry out repairs on the car .
    I have never carried out the whole procedure .
    what I normally do is:
    Remove key from ignition ,
    Close door
    Open bonnet ,
    Leave for about 5 minutes
    Disconnect battery
    In your case replace battery
    Reconnect battery
    Insert key in ignition
    Start car
    Check to see all systems are working.

the only other thing that may catch you is the radio , if it is the original it will be coded to the chassis.
    if it is an aftermarket unit you may need a code .

P.S. you did well to get 15 years out of a battery :D

davycha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Just use the backup power over obd2 and it keeps the computers happy. I bought that kind device from aliexpress and works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Hello,
    I have a 2003 Peugeot 406 Hdi. The original battery has only just died after 15 years in the car. I have got a replacement, but changing a battery these days is not so straightforward as it used to be what with all the electrics on cars now.

The battery is flat. At the moment I have a solar powered battery maintainer in the windscreen attached to the cigarette lighter. The radio works and I can open & lock doors.
    But, I am concerned about changing the battery over with the replacement battery that I have. Here are some of the instructions for disconnecting a battery on this type of car:
    Whenever a vehicle battery has to be disconnected, switch off all equipment interior lights etc. close the doors
    leaving the driver's window down.
    2. Switch off the ignition and remove the key and DIAG if connected.
    3. Wait a full 3-minutes before disconnecting the battery.
    The BSI must be allowed to go to sleep i.e into 'Power Save' mode. Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even opening the bonnet will wake up the BSI on the vehicle fitted with an alarm.
    If the battery is under the bonnet open the bonnet first and leave it up.

The BSI is the ECU that controls things like immobilizer, instrument cluster, central locking etc. It seems there is a danger of these not working properly after disconnecting the battery.

Full instructions here:-
    https://bit.ly/2EBYXBL

So I cannot open the driver’s window, no power, for some reason, the only window that will open on the car is the driver’s side rear passenger door window.
    The cigarette lighter in the car works but only lukewarm.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed given that I cannot open the driver’s window?
    Has anyone ever used a memory minder that you hook up to another battery and connect either to the OECB port or to the cigarette lighter? Examples like this available on Amazon:-

https://amzn.to/2T2UIIt

https://amzn.to/2SAFzsE

Could this be a way around this problem of the BSI potentially corrupting itself?
    Which would be the best one to go for? The one that attaches to cigarette lighter or the one to the OECB port?

Any advice / suggestions much appreciated. Cheers.

What's the condition of the BSI? You'll need to see if it's showing any signs of corrosion

Memory serving, the unit is located near the fusebox above the accelerator cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

i don't suppose it matters which window is open, I imagine that's just to gain access on a "just in case" basis

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bronco Bullfrog

davycha wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I have 2001 406 2.0 HDi , I am aware of the BSI procedure you call out .
    I have disconnected my battery several times, both to replace the battery and to carry out repairs on the car .
    I have never carried out the whole procedure .
    what I normally do is:
    Remove key from ignition ,
    Close door
    Open bonnet ,
    Leave for about 5 minutes
    Disconnect battery
    In your case replace battery
    Reconnect battery
    Insert key in ignition
    Start car
    Check to see all systems are working.

the only other thing that may catch you is the radio , if it is the original it will be coded to the chassis.
    if it is an aftermarket unit you may need a code .

P.S. you did well to get 15 years out of a battery :D

davycha

Thanks very much for info. The radio is also the original, so yes it is VIN coded, so should be no probs there. Yes unreal 15 years! Can't explain it, I did a lot of motorway driving, so I don't know if that had any bearing on it. The make of battery is VARTA 12v L2 400/640 A (EN) that type of Varta doesn't seem to be still available, but other Varta batteries worth looking at. I'd recommend them! Cheers ;)

• Advertisement

w211 wrote: »
    Just use the backup power over obd2 and it keeps the computers happy. I bought that kind device from aliexpress and works.

Cheers thanks for that, I was thinking of going for that option, I have heard the ones that connect to cigarette lighters don't always connect too well. People can end up with problems.

What's the condition of the BSI? You'll need to see if it's showing any signs of corrosion

Memory serving, the unit is located near the fusebox above the accelerator cable

Cheers thanks for the info much appreciated.

Advertisement