Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mk1 Ford Focus wheel bearings?

• 28-02-2019 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

Sounds and feels like I have to do the front driver side wheel bearing on my wifes old 04 Ford Focus. Engine and body aren't too bad so worth keeping it another year.

Anyway Micksgarge as an example have the required bearing (non ABS model) for prices varying from €15.99 to €46.99. Cheapest is by Japan Parts and dearest SKF, in between are FAG, KLAXCAR FRANCE, SNR, OPTIMAL, Quinton Hazell and GSP (no particular order).

Is there any point in me getting the more expensive bearings or are any other of the makes know for quality?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

my3cents wrote: »
    Sounds and feels like I have to do the front driver side wheel bearing on my wifes old 04 Ford Focus. Engine and body aren't too bad so worth keeping it another year.

Anyway Micksgarge as an example have the required bearing (non ABS model) for prices varying from €15.99 to €46.99. Cheapest is by Japan Parts and dearest SKF, in between are FAG, KLAXCAR FRANCE, SNR, OPTIMAL, Quinton Hazell and GSP (no particular order).

Is there any point in me getting the more expensive bearings or are any other of the makes know for quality?

I am sure even the cheapest on can last that car rest of the remaining life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

w211 wrote: »
    I am sure even the cheapest on can last that car rest of the remaining life.

That was my thinking but I have come across some crap in the past, so thought it was worth asking. For example I've had Quinten Hazell clutch parts fail one after another so wouldn't buy anything they do on principle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

my3cents wrote: »
    That was my thinking but I have come across some crap in the past, so thought it was worth asking. For example I've had Quinten Hazell clutch parts fail one after another so wouldn't buy anything they do on principle.
    If you are not lucky, at least you have the money to buy 2 more times the same price range bearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Oops!

Buy the mid range priced one, i presume it's the GSP one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Oops! wrote: »
    Buy the mid range priced one, i presume it's the GSP one?

I saw the bargain alert for 60% of from GSF and because I needed a few other bits just blindly bought from them. If it lasts two years that will be good enough. I'm getting quite good at doing focus wheel bearing :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement