Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Hygiene

Options
  • 28-02-2019 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

In our house - like many - we have a multi-purpose dish cloth that is used for all forms of wiping and cleaning up. To me it is just a bacteriological nightmare but my wife uses it for just about everything. Worst, she likes to give the table 'a good wipe' just before dinner.

There must be a better way!! Help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

We use a scouring sponge to wash pans, plates, or to wipe down the hob. They are disposable, we usually replace them once a week (perhaps more often sometimes).

We would use it to wipe down countertops in the kitchen initially but then finish with anti bacterial spray and a wad of kitchen roll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Make sure she washes them in a washing machine or soaks them in boiling water before using them, and to keep rotating them frequently. Tell her to use an antibacterial spray as well when she's cleaning. That should keep the germs at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Anti bac cleaning wipes. Very reasonably priced in German supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Are there any 'friendly' antibacterials? She hates the place 'smelling like a swimming pool'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Rotten!

As long as she washes or throws them out every day or 2 its fine. But keeping the same one for a week itd be filthy.

I just use sponge with hot water and spray for wiping or scrubbing down the hob then the blue cloths for the table with hot water and soap

• Advertisement

donalh087 wrote: »
    Are there any 'friendly' antibacterials? She hates the place 'smelling like a swimming pool'.
    The ones I get don't smell strong. They come in a variety of scents: apple, ocean (?) and lemon, which is lovely and fresh but not at all overpowering

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Glad to hear I’m not the only one..

My wife wipes the counter almost instinctively when she walks into the kitchen and all I can see are germs being spread around.

I hate those cloths..

Of course, the OP could also boil wash or throw out the cloths every day or so. Not just his Mrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Rennaws wrote: »

My wife wipes the counter almost instinctively when she walks into the kitchen and all I can see are germs being spread around.

I hate those cloths..

How long has she been doing this for, maybe your family have built up a resistance to the bugs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Sardonicat wrote: »

The environmental aspect puts me off these as handy as they are. It seems like a lot of unnecessary waste. I think the washing the cloths regularly option is the best one personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

How long has she been doing this for, maybe your family have built up a resistance to the bugs

The kitchen is spotless tbf (I’m a germ phobe) and the cloths are washed frequently and used with antibacterial wipe but I still hate the damn things.

That said I use mountains of kitchen roll.

The environmental aspect puts me off these as handy as they are. It seems like a lot of unnecessary waste. I think the washing the cloths regularly option is the best one personally.
    I agree 100%. I use them cos I'm a carer for an 87 yo with diminishing cognitive ability and frankly never the greatest understanding of germ contamination. If i had cloths in the kitchen when my back is turned the same cloth could be used to wipe a shoe, then his mouth and then the table so really for his sake and mine I use anti bac wipes in the kitchen. If he needs a cloth for something specific he has to ask me for it. It really is the best for all concerned, believe me!

OP asked for alternatives to cloths so I gave the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

donalh087 wrote: »
    In our house - like many - we have a multi-purpose dish cloth that is used for all forms of wiping and cleaning up. To me it is just a bacteriological nightmare but my wife uses it for just about everything. Worst, she likes to give the table 'a good wipe' just before dinner.

There must be a better way!! Help.

How many times have ye gotten sick over this issue.

More problems are seen in families through excessive sterilisation of every surface.

If it’s working it’s probably fine.
    Clean the cloths regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The "wipes" are basically throw-away plastic. Wasteful and polluting.

Ordinary cloths are fine if laundered regularly - a clean one every day or two, throw used ones in the hot wash. Or soak them overnight in water with a teaspoon of bleach.

And I've trained myself not to worry about "germs" as long as we are all strong and healthy, which we are. Meaning, "germs" aren't doing us any harm!!

PS The very old person wouldn't have so strong an immune system and need more careful hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

_Brian wrote: »
    How many times have ye gotten sick over this issue.

Very good question. The answer is obviously none. And the rest of the kitchen is fine with me it's just the table before a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

we've a drawer with a fine pile of cloths (bought in dunnes) and a fresh one put at the sink 2/4times a day depending on how wet they get.
    we use those green/yellow sponges for washing up and its replaced every week.

cloths thrown into wash. no wipes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wipes are an environmental disaster. It’s just akin to throwing away plastic.

Neither am I a fan of overuse of anti-bacterial sprays etc. I believe they’re more damaging in the long run as they could impede the development of natural immunity. Hot water and soap are the best cleaning agents for the majority of dirt. Every so often you do need to bust out the Jif or Cillit Bang, but that should be the exception.

There’s nothing wrong with using cloths as long as they’re regularly rinsed out in hot water and allowed to dry. Leaving one to sit in a damp pile is obviously not a good idea.

we've a drawer with a fine pile of cloths (bought in dunnes) and a fresh one put at the sink 2/4times a day depending on how wet they get.
    we use those green/yellow sponges for washing up and its replaced every week.

cloths thrown into wash. no wipes here.
    And how many times a week are you putting on a 60° wash for those cloths? Are they going straight into the washing machine or into a laundry basket, damp, to fester and contaminate other items that will be washed at a lower temperature?

dudara wrote: »

There’s nothing wrong with using cloths as long as they’re regularly rinsed out in hot water and allowed to dry. Leaving one to sit in a damp pile is obviously not a good idea.
    There is if your nice clean cloth has been used to wipe a mouth or a shoe without your knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just keep the kitchen clean. Use disposable things like J cloths or similar if you are worried. There is plenty of evidence that exposure to ahem, germs helps us all in the long run with building up immunity.

There is far too much emphasis on cleaning and anti bac stuff these days. And still people get sick. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I saw a programme the other evening about this . They sent sponges , J clothes and dishcloth to a lab to asses the bacteria count . The one that had the most bacteria by a huge margin was the tea towel used to dry dishes
    They said the reason was the cloths were rinsed often and used with soap and washed often . The tea towel was put away wet and bacteria thrived in the dampness .
    The one tip they gave was to hang the tea towel on a radiator or over the handle of an oven door to let it dry

Personally I think the over use of wipes is not only bad for the environment but also bad for childrens immune system
    The anti bacterial wipes are not allowing the kids build up strong immune systems
    Kids need to come across bacteria to strengthen their immune systems

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Some obsessive cleaners (not including OP here BTW) can turn into hoarders. I think it is an obsession for some.

There is if your nice clean cloth has been used to wipe a mouth or a shoe without your knowledge.

I think a bit of training is required :)

I think a bit of training is required :)
    He has dementia. Not a lot I can do except choose my battles ( I tried on this issue, believe me!) and use wipes as much as I agree with what people are saying about the environmental impact.

He has dementia. Not a lot I can do except choose my battles ( I tried on this issue, believe me!) and use wipes as much as I agree with what people are saying about the environmental impact.

My apologies. You’re fighting a bigger battle than a dirty cloth.

My apologies. You’re fighting a bigger battle than a dirty cloth.
    No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Just keep the kitchen clean. Use disposable things like J cloths or similar if you are worried. There is plenty of evidence that exposure to ahem, germs helps us all in the long run with building up immunity.

There is far too much emphasis on cleaning and anti bac stuff these days. And still people get sick. Go figure.

I agree.

Clean your t-towels and cloths every day.
    Always rinse the cloths in hot water before and after using them to wipe a surface.

Anti-bacterial wipes and sprays are unnecessary and causing a bigger problem that they claim to solve.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/22/health/leukemia-clean-childhood-study-intl/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The tea towel was put away wet and bacteria thrived in the dampness .
    The one tip they gave was to hang the tea towel on a radiator or over the handle of an oven door to let it dry

Who in god's name puts their tea-towels away wet? Enough people that it's an issue, clearly, but I'm always left a bit "Huh?" by these kind of things.

Same with the report last week that baby wipes are the no. 1 cause of drain and sewer blockages in the UK and Ireland, my immediate reaction was "Who the hell flushes them???" Again, the answer is clearly flippin' loads of people but I was kind of floored because it would never even enter my brain to flush one and I don't know anyone else who does either.

I dunno, maybe I'm just incredibly out of touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I use mostly cloths and teatowels rather than wipes. Every time I put on a wash (usually every second day) I throw in the used cloths and replace them with clean ones. I always have plenty of kitchen roll too and would use that instead of a reusable cloth if, for example, I was wiping down a counter after chopping raw meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

We have dishcloths that are used every day to clean up after cooking - it's rinsed in hot water and soap and spray is also used to wipe down the surfaces. It's rinsed again after use and left at the side of the sink. I would change it every few days or so but certainly not 2-4 times a day like another poster above?

Tea towel is left to dry on the oven door and don't use wipes or kitchen roll as they're only a waste.

Compared to other posters above I sound filthy but our kitchen is spotless and we have never been sick or anything from not having multiple cloths / disposal wipes on the go!

Advertisement