Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for gaming keyboard and mouse!!

Options
  • 28-02-2019 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey guys, Im currently building my first gaming pc, I’ve decided on everything except the keyboard and mouse and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions? I’m not big into competitive multiplayer but I will be dabbling in games like GTA, Dead by Daylight and Rainbow Six Siege so would like to have a good keyboard/mouse combo. I had my eyes on the Razer Holiday Bundle 18’ but it seems to be sold out in most places and the places that have it in stock are charging almost €200. My budget is around €150 for everything (would also really like a mousepad with LED lighting) so if anyone has any suggestions for bundles or individual components it would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I got a corsair k63 mechanical keyboard for 65 pounds and a Logitech G203 for 17 pounds. I also got a victsing large gaming mouse matt (no LEDs) which is massive and silky smooth (10 pounds).

I couldn't fault any of the above. Keyboard doesn't have num pad which I like, gives more space for mouse movement. Cherry red switches which Ive grown to really like. Mouse is very smooth and customizable. Very accurate too. All for just 92 pounds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Forego the G203 & get the wireless G305 & some Lithium AAs.
    G603/703/403 wireless also recommended.

As for keyboard, anything with Cherry MX Red or Silvers is good.
    Avoid the cheaper Browns/Blues.

Also Razer is known for bad QA/longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LeeMaher92

I’ve been hesitant to get a wireless mouse as I’ve heard that they may lead to some type of input lag, is that just myth?

LeeMaher92 wrote: »
    I’ve been hesitant to get a wireless mouse as I’ve heard that they may lead to some type of input lag, is that just myth?

Logitech's latest mice (G305, 403, 603, 703, 900, G Pro) are lagless.

I'd expect any higher-end mouse newer than 2017 to be the same.
    Look up RocketJumpNinja for detailed reviews: http://rocketjumpninja.com/

So you would both recommend the Corsair K63? And in terms of the wireless mouses is there much of a difference between the most and least expensive? As i said I’m not an elite pro gamer so I don’t need the absolute top of the line!

• Advertisement

So you would both recommend the Corsair K63? And in terms of the wireless mouses is there much of a difference between the most and least expensive? As i said I’m not an elite pro gamer so I don’t need the absolute top of the line!

After about 2 weeks of looking up reviews, asking on here and other forums, the K63 is probably the best keyboard you can get for its price range.

Newer wireless mice are lagless for common use but I do attend LAN groups / Parties and have heard that too much wireless in the same room can cause disconnections of the devices randomly. I don't know this for a fact but my best friend who attends LAN events over in the UK says he's had it happen to him.

I just recommend the mouse I got because I can't speak for the others as I have never owned them and for the price its great.

Edit: I bought everything off amazon.

I use the new Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse. Really like it. Very good price too.

The K63 is very aesthetically pleasing, unfortunately it’s just red backlighting but I’ll get over it lol! Is the keyboard mechanic? And is it quite loud? In terms of the mouse I’ll probably fork out a bit more than 17 for the wireless logitech with led lighting to guarantee good quality and something aesthetically pleasing!

Mechanical switches are louder than membrane simply by design.

"Silent"-Red should be decently quieter though.

https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=kb&xf=7009_mechanical~8375_Silent-RGB-Red~8375_Silent-Red&asuch=&bpmin=&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=uk&plz=&dist=&mail=&sort=p#productlist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Having had past experiences with mouse and keyboards from Razer, stay well clear of them. Quality is muck and don’t last. Logitech Corsair and even Hyper X do solid gear.

• Advertisement

LeeMaher92 wrote:
    The K63 is very aesthetically pleasing, unfortunately it’s just red backlighting but I’ll get over it lol! Is the keyboard mechanic? And is it quite loud? In terms of the mouse I’ll probably fork out a bit more than 17 for the wireless logitech with led lighting to guarantee good quality and something aesthetically pleasing!

It is mechanical and its not loud for a mechanical keyboard but you would find it loud as first moving on from a membrane keyboard. Once you get used to it though you would hardly notice it.

All Logitech gaming mince have customizable LED's, you just get more features as you move up the price tree, wireless, customizable weight, more programmable mouse buttons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

madcabbage wrote: »
    Having had past experiences with mouse and keyboards from Razer, stay well clear of them. Quality is muck and don’t last. Logitech Corsair and even Hyper X do solid gear.

I've found Razer mice to be great with only 1 dying around the year-old mark and all the others lasting for years. Saying that, I wouldn't buy anything apart from a mouse from Razer.

Think I’ll be going with the Corair K63 and Corsair Harpoon Wireless as my OCD is too strong to have a different brand of mouse and keyboard haha thankfully I’ll be able to customize the led on the mouse to match the K63 nicely! While I have the attention of you fine folk, is there any gaming chairs you would recommend? All the DX racers and GT Omega chairs are quite pricey and im wondering if I’d be better off just getting a regular old office chair 😂

Can't help you there I'm afraid, I game on a recliner with a table I made myself to fit it perfectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Think I’ll be going with the Corair K63 and Corsair Harpoon Wireless as my OCD is too strong to have a different brand of mouse and keyboard haha thankfully I’ll be able to customize the led on the mouse to match the K63 nicely! While I have the attention of you fine folk, is there any gaming chairs you would recommend? All the DX racers and GT Omega chairs are quite pricey and im wondering if I’d be better off just getting a regular old office chair 😂

Check out adverts or done deal for people selling office furniture. You might find an absolute bargain on a chair that will offer propper support to your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Venom wrote: »
    I've found Razer mice to be great with only 1 dying around the year-old mark and all the others lasting for years. Saying that, I wouldn't buy anything apart from a mouse from Razer.

I wouldn't buy anything from Razer, their quality is muck. They spend their money on marketing, not their products.

Their keyboards ask for premium prices for example but use some of the crappiest switches you can get.

For mice having tried lot's of brands over the years I will now not buy anything other than logitech. I learned the hard way. Other brands just don't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

I've been looking up this exact thing over the past few weeks, I've decided on the Fnatic miniStreak keyboard (w/ MX Browns) and Logitech G305.

I wanted something smaller than a full keyboard with numpad, was thinking of going with a 60% keyboard like the Anne Pro 2, Vortex Pok3r, Ducky One 2 Mini, Varmilo VA68M or Massdrop ALT, but decided on the slightly larger, but still small Fnatic miniStreak as it still has dedicated media keys which I like to have, as well as a F key lock feature, so you can lock the F row to either act as normal F keys or lock it to their secondary uses (volume, media controls, macros). The miniStreak has a lot of features, as well as the fairly important point that it's widely available online with easy delivery to Ireland, most of the other keyboards I mentioned either have a backlog for months or have to be shipped from the USA/China therefore needing to pass through customs.

With the mouse, I knew the Logitech G Pro Wireless was pretty much the holy grail of mice as you'll find if you look at comparisons, but didn't want to spend €160 on a mouse, ideally wanted wireless (as the tech has reached the point where there's no real difference), so it came down to a few wireless options: Razer Mamba Wireless, Logitech G703, Steelseries Rival 650, Logitech G900/903 and Logitech G305, the G305 being cheap (got it for €40 on Amazon) I just bought to try it out, liked it, so I've kept using it. All the Logitech use the same HERO sensor, which is considered to be the best out there, so the differences really just come down to size, shape and weight. If I had to buy another mouse that wasn't the G Pro Wireless, I'd get the Razer Mamba Wireless, Rocket Jump Ninja compared the G703 and Mamba, and said the Mamba was just better in every way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im sort of in the market for a nice keyboard too, the one i have is ok but i do like these newer ones.

@shamelessidiot how are you getting on with the Fnatic miniSTREAK ?

I've just pre ordered a Glorious Model O. Will be the lightest mouse i've owned. Whenever i get it that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Are madcatz R.A.T mice not the sh1t anymore? hahaha I'm out of touch. I still have my R.A.T 3

• Advertisement

jme2010 wrote: »
    Are madcatz R.A.T mice not the sh1t anymore? hahaha I'm out of touch. I still have my R.A.T 3

Considering Madcatz lifted themselves out of of bankruptcy not 2 years ago... who knows.

Don't think Madcatz were ever a no.1 recommendation though.

Logitech, Benq/Zowie, Steelseries & Razer are where it's at for mouse shape.
    But best thing I find is to browse through RocketJumpNinja's Top 40 and his youtube channel to understand what makes a good fit for your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Sorry to hijack but can I get recommendations for a mechanical keyboard ?

Need something that will be use-able in an open plan office.
    Would silent switches with o-rings be okay or am I liable to drive everyone around me mad ?

I have a corsair with reds at home that's definitely too loud :D

Just avoid Blue switches.

MX Silent Red should be ok (they're different from regular MX Reds).

However the chassis & stabilizers can have just as much of an effect as the switches.
    Another thing you can do to silence a bit is to put the keyboard on an oversize XXL mouse mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Red switches with thick rubber O rings to stop them bottoming out might do the trick.

Might feel a bit like a membrane keyboard at that point though.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Red switches with thick rubber O rings to stop them bottoming out might do the trick.

Might feel a bit like a membrane keyboard at that point though.

Nah, if anything go straight for the MX Silent Red (aka Pink) switches. Their housing has a little rubber stopper on both sides to dampen sound on both the upstroke & downstroke.
    They still feel like Reds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Nah, if anything go straight for the MX Silent Red (aka Pink) switches. Their housing has a little rubber stopper on both sides to dampen sound on both the upstroke & downstroke.
    They still feel like Reds though.

Have one in my basket now, just convincing the other half its a good idea to spend that much on a keyboard for work.

8ish hours per day I think I'd like something nice to type on :)

OP have you gotten the goods yet? What's your opinion?

Advertisement