Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical help - valve extenders on deep section wheels

Options
  • 28-02-2019 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

So my wife, thanks to me, has now got Reynolds Strike carbon clinchers. -It's an awful long time since I had deep section anythings, so I kinda need to learn or refresh myself on how modern deep section carbon wheelset works. I want to avoid the "I've a puncture, how do I change the goddamn tube in these things" phone call :)

They're very deep so they have long black valve extenders. Setting the bike up yesterday the front pumped up no bother but the rear didn't so much. It take and hold air but while pumping there was air escaping around pump head and the pressure gauge wouldn't give a reading.

Does anyone have these wheels or similar that could help me troubleshoot?

Also - it seems they're tubeless ready as well, so maybe that's the better way to go with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Take out the valve extender and the valve core.
    Get some plumbers tape (very cheap ) and put some around the threads of the valve extender that go into the valve of the tube then a little around the valve core.
    Screw the lot back together as tight as possible.
    That should stop any leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Sling the valve extenders and just pop in tubes with 80mm valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Sling the valve extenders and just pop in tubes with 80mm valves.

+1 for that suggestion. Just remember to stick a 80mm long valve tube into the saddle bag in case of a puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Nice one. Thanks all. - Didn't know there was such a thing as 80mm tubes.

While I source them ill try taping up the existing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Are they tubeless ready bloke? lovely bike - best of luck to mrs bloke with it btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

lennymc wrote: »
    Are they tubeless ready bloke? lovely bike - best of luck to mrs bloke with it btw.

Cheers man. They are tubeless readyable. They came on the bike with tubes in but the tubeless valves came separately if you wanted to go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

+1 on the 80mm valve tubes. Simple solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

As others have said 80mm. I have used valve extenders too and have had the problem you describe pumping. However when pumping the needle momentarily hits a high and I took that as the pressure within. There is some air leakage through the extender but from memory no more than latex. So if you pump up before each ride its not something to worry about.

Advertisement