Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More speed ramps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That's a problem with planning though, I don't think it was a condition that the road was to be closed, nor should it be, on permission being granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

fletch wrote: »
    If you think the Hartstown ramps are bad, take a drive through Corduff.

Thanks but no thanks, i don't want repair bills this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

My personal bugbear with exiting Ongar and turning right onto Manorfields Drive towards Allendale roundabout since those speed ramps were introduced is that as all traffic has now slowed down, it makes it harder to get an opportunity to exit. Previously, cars may have flown by at relative speed but it meant there were more (and longer) gaps between traffic to exit safely. Now you have a constant stream of braking and backed up traffic travelling over the ramps at varying speeds from both directions (some drivers actually grind to a halt just before the ramp before moving off again at 1kph!!). It therefore takes a lot longer to exit when turning right.

I'm all for road safety and am not against speed ramps per se but I don't think it reduces collisions on that particular road. If someone is careless enough to drive out in front of a moving car and is unable to guage the speed and safe distance of that car, ramps or no ramps will prevent accidents (possibly just less severity of a collision if at high speed).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm still annoyed over the changes and ramps they put in around the Carpenter Pub.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm still annoyed over the changes and ramps they put in around the Carpenter Pub.

Considering there’s two schools near there and kids regularly had to run the gauntlet, I think it’s much improved safety for them there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Hurrache wrote: »
    That's a problem with planning though, I don't think it was a condition that the road was to be closed, nor should it be, on permission being granted.

It was in the FCC development plan since 2013.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Considering there’s two schools near there and kids regularly had to run the gauntlet, I think it’s much improved safety for them there

I'd disagree. I've seen cars nearly rear end another and mount the kerb. I think it was poorly designed and could have been done in a better manner. Or at least place in proper green man crossings rather than the zebra way.

All Eyes On Rafah

I'd disagree. I've seen cars nearly rear end another and mount the kerb. I think it was poorly designed and could have been done in a better manner. Or at least place in proper green man crossings rather than the zebra way.

It’ll take a while for people to get used to them. If they’re nearly rear ending cars and mounting kerbs, they probably just need to adjust their driving style.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Didn't a kid get knocked down there just this week

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Didn't a kid get knocked down there just this week

That was next to the private school and was a 40year old man I think.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

That was next to the private school and was a 40year old man I think.
    I believe that it was a runner who was on the footpath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd agree its poorly designed. The crossing are too close to the roundabout. Its just agricultural. But on the flip side the ramps are so massive it does force all the traffic to slow, even off peak.

That people nearly rear end each other because they don't see that monstrosity of a junction just shows how badly people are driving especially in suburban areas. Commuting by bicycle around the city, D15 is one of my least areas to cycle through because drivers drive much faster, and pass much closer, and more aggressively than many other areas.

That said a roundabout that is designed so that people are going to stop suddenly in the middle of it is asking for trouble.
    No one is expecting that.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    It was in the FCC development plan since 2013.

But not planning for the housing development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ramps have gone in on the road going into the St Mochtas and Windmill estates just off the Clonsilla Road. Long, long overdue so well done Fingal.

But not planning for the housing development.

The development plan was created with the idea that housing would be built in that area alongside the development of the N2-N3 interconnector, which is why the road closure was put into the plan; as it was quite sensibly reasoned that zoning for housing and having them facing onto an old, windy, speed prone road was a bad idea. It'll sadly take an accident for someone to get sense. Incidentally, last night I had my 3rd miss with someone aggressively overtaking a person turning into their driveway and coming at me head on at great speed on their way to wherever using it as a thru road.

11 for the whole of D15, not too many considering. And I'm sure they didn't decide on them without lobbying from locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

I hate driving over them myself.
    But unfortunately they are necessary - too many inconsidered a**holes racing through residential areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Phil.x wrote: »

Someone was recently caught doing 225 km/h, I think in a 100 km/h area. Until people behave, engineering changes will have to happen.

Phil.x wrote: »

I hate them and I think they've damaged my cars. But people drive like morons locally. I can't see much alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

I absolutely detest the speed pillows on teh main roads....Most big saloons, vans and SUV's do not slow down going over them so they are pointless (I do drive a performance car with stiffer suspension and do slow down when approaching which feels like discrimination towards motorist like myself - no I do not speed, I save that for the track)

Have been trying for years to get FingalCoCo to install ramps in my estate - even directly outside my house (full ramps - not pillows) as my road is treated like a race track by many and we had a problem with joyriders for a while....There is a green area where chilren play and cars/bikes speed up/down either side.

FingalCoCo would only put in ramps if the residents agreed to a large playground on the green area (FingalCoCo were trying to use up budget) - the residents rejected the playground (it would have been totall out of character for the area and would have attracted the wrong element (at night)) - FingalCoCo refused to put in the speed ramps because the residents rejected the playground. The CoCo even put in a speed detector at the end of the street and it was stolen :/

11 for the whole of D15, not too many considering. And I'm sure they didn't decide on them without lobbying from locals.

On top of the countless others.

jim salter wrote: »
    I absolutely detest the speed pillows on teh main roads....Most big saloons, vans and SUV's do not slow down going over them so they are pointless

Exactly the type of car I'll be getting next, something that can absorb these ramp pillows with ease.

jim salter wrote: »
    I absolutely detest the speed pillows on teh main roads....Most big saloons, vans and SUV's do not slow down going over them so they are pointless (I do drive a performance car with stiffer suspension and do slow down when approaching which feels like discrimination towards motorist like myself - no I do not speed, I save that for the track)..../

All it takes is one car to slow down and the rest are forced to slow down. Its a daisy chain effect. Some drivers brake anyway, not knowing they don't have to slow down.

So they are not pointless.

I used to drive a van and an SUV before that and neither can go over these quickly.

Depends on the car and it depends on the ramp. There seems to all different kinds of ramps.

My current cars can just about go both sides of it, but you have to get it just right. One car has a sports suspension, can't get it wrong or its like hitting a wall.
    Old car had soft suspension, didn't really have much effect on it, and it couldn't go both sides, but it didn't need to.

Speed ramps are one of those "If you're doing as you should, you shouldn't have a problem" type of things. Also, I tend to consider when I enter an area with speed ramps that even if my car could sail over them, they're probably there for a reason. I don't fancy running over some kid and figure the area got the ramps because there is a greater risk.

Some ramps, particularly older ones, would do your car damage if you go over them wrong. The Roselawn road is an example. But I remember distinctly why they put them in - Coming from the Castleknock bridge towards Quinnsworth, the houses on the bend had to keep their kids out of the front garden because a car coming through the wall was an infrequent but not unheard of event. I wouldn't mind them replacing those ramps over time with more modern ones, but they also remind me why we need the ramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Victor wrote: »
    Someone was recently caught doing 225 km/h, I think in a 100 km/h area. Until people behave, engineering changes will have to happen.

Thats utterly irrelevant to a discussion of the need for physical traffic calming in residential settings.

Yeah generally have no issues with speed ramps. Like the ones on the strawberry beds. I've been passed on my bike at 93kph in a 50kph zone (the radar operated displayed showed this). There's a certain cohort of brain dead drivers for which there seems to be no other solution to slow them down. Other than a complete re-engineering of road layouts with chicanes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Other than a complete re-engineering of road layouts with chicanes etc.
    When the ramps were originally installed on Diswellstown Road I predicted that the traffic islands would cause pinch points and cars would be aggressive towards cyclists at those points. I was right.

I suggested bypasses to the left to allow cyclists get through safely. They said they weren't necessary.

In France, I saw one or two chicanes where the road went single lane for a few metres. I think that they would be good. With the amount of traffic on some roads there'd nearly always be oncoming cars to make you (or them) yield.

Advertisement