Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More speed ramps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I used to drive a van and an SUV before that and neither can go over these quickly.

I've driven both BMW x5 and 640d (not mine) and both sail over these type of ramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah generally have no issues with speed ramps. Like the ones on the strawberry beds. I've been passed on my bike at 93kph in a 50kph zone (the radar operated displayed showed this). There's a certain cohort of brain dead drivers for which there seems to be no other solution to slow them down. Other than a complete re-engineering of road layouts with chicanes etc.

They should have a bigger gap between those speed ramps, there's one every 50 meters it seems. Then again I don't use that road too much maybe thats what was needed at the time

jams100 wrote: »
    They should have a bigger gap between those speed ramps, there's one every 50 meters it seems. Then again I don't use that road too much maybe thats what was needed at the time

All it takes is one busybody to email their local clr and ask the to get a review the area, that person doesn't have to even live in that area of dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm happy to be living around a bunch of busy bodies as assholes rat running the local road made it thoroughly unpleasant and dangerous. Occasional speed checks, fixed digital signs and numerous speed signs don't get through to their dumb and ignorant brains.

You find the people complaining about the ramps most tend not live where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Hurrache wrote: »
    Occasional speed checks, fixed digital signs and numerous speed signs don't get through to their dumb and ignorant brains,
    The word occasional here is critical - there aren't enough speed checks by Gardai. People will change their behaviour if it hits their pocket (22c per plastic bag made us all change!!). People should be in constant fear that there may be a speed check in an area but most of us could go months without seeing a Garda (even when they had more in the force than now).

• Advertisement

I'm happy to be living around a bunch of busy bodies as assholes rat running the local road made it thoroughly unpleasant and dangerous. Occasional speed checks, fixed digital signs and numerous speed signs don't get through to their dumb and ignorant brains.

You find the people complaining about the ramps most tend not live where they are.

And the busy bodys are mostly cyclists who don't cycle on the cycle lanes provided, baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

Phil.x wrote: »
    And the busy bodys are mostly cyclists who don't cycle on the cycle lanes provided, baffling.

The cycle lanes are in awful condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This implies you don't know how cycle lanes work, or why speed ramps are needed. Its a vicious cycle.

It's baffling that you still believe they should use them, and still believe they're in any sort of condition for widespread use.

But your attitude slips out, roads are only for cars and they should be entitled to drive however they want.
    beauf wrote: »
    Its a vicious cycle.

I see what you did there.

It's baffling that you still believe they should use them, and still believe they're in any sort of condition for widespread use.

But your attitude slips out, roads are only for cars and they should be entitled to drive however they want.

I see what you did there.

I use them every day, those cycle lanes are perfectly fine and safe.
    Maybe the "professional" lycra brigade don't like them when they cycle to the local coffee shops for big fat cakes and cream.
    And yes that road is only for motorized vehicles as there's a perfect bike lane and two footpaths and we all know cyclists love a good footpath.

• Advertisement

Maybe the "professional" lycra brigade don't like them when they cycle to the local coffee shops for big fat cakes and cream.
    And yes that road is only for motorized vehicles as there's a perfect bike lane and two footpaths and we all know cyclists love a good footpath.

You can't turn right from a cycle lane. At some point you have to use the road.

Most of the cycle lanes in my area, have huge kerbs. You have to dismount to get on and off them.

Also you can't go a round about on them. In my area, they either stop at the roundabout, provide no way to leave them, or disappear at the roundabout. One roundabout has them on one side of the roundabout only.

Most of the cycles just stop in the middle of nowhere. You always end up on the road at some point.

Then you shouldn't mix people going flat out at 30kph+ and those walking and kids going slowly on bikes. Any one doing high speed should be on the road. We'll soon have eScooters on them too.

The other issue is speed ramps are not only for cyclists, they are for the protection of other drivers, pedestrians, local residents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ah, yes. The cyclists that are using the roadway and the footway at the same time.

Victor wrote: »
    Ah, yes. The cyclists that are using the roadway and the footway at the same time.

Well they're a law to themselves, nothings off limits to most.

Throwing out the tired old tropes, lycra, brigade, cakes, footpaths.

I just won a bottle of wine for a full house.

Should be paying road tax.

You realise the reason for your beloved speed ramps is because of motorists being a law unto themselves.

Speed ramps slow you down. Cyclists taking the centre of the road slow you down. Rush rush rush.

The irony being the ramps are only there because so many drivers are breaking the law and driving dangerously.

raheny red wrote: »
    Speed ramps slow you down. Cyclists taking the centre of the road slow you down. Rush rush rush.

No they don't you just go faster over them and skim past the lycra brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No they don't you just go faster over them and skim past the lycra brigade.

Ah yes. reminds me of my encounter on the strawberry beds a few years back.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057125981&page=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

To sum this thread up.

Ramps are a minor inconvenience to most but we understand why they're necessary.

The small minority who get really annoyed by them are the very reason we need them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yes the point seems to be lost on so many. If people drove responsibly and safely there'd be no need for them in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yes the point seems to be lost on so many. If people drove responsibly and safely there'd be no need for them in the first place.

And if my auntie had wheels, she’d be a wagon. And come to think of it, given how she drives we’d still need the ramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Prefer if they did something about the roundabout at the entrance to Manorfields estate, its an accident waiting to happen with the majority of drivers giving right of way to pedestrians and the odd one flying through it ignoring pedestrians completely. Have seen a few close shaves in the last couple of weeks alone.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DvB wrote: »
    Prefer if they did something about the roundabout at the entrance to Manorfields estate, its an accident waiting to happen with the majority of drivers giving right of way to pedestrians and the odd one flying through it ignoring pedestrians completely. Have seen a few close shaves in the last couple of weeks alone.

You might drop a line to roads@fingal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Victor wrote: »
    You might drop a line to roads@fingal.ie

Already have, albeit a while ago now. Must do so again.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

raheny red wrote: »
    A couple more bumps.

That's the same set of bumps that is already being discussed.

That's the same set of bumps that is already being discussed.

D'oh, carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Fingal could be using their time better figuring out how to reduce congestion rather than firing in more speed ramps.

However I see conversation has gone into motorist v cyclist again.

If the council are of the belief that speed ramps improve safety, they should probably consider putting them into cycle lanes too.

We've all met that aggressive, normally male, cyclist in all the gear who thinks he's Lance Armstrong. There are a few sections of the Phoenix Park in particular where they're dangerous to everyone around them.

Incoming cliché bomb with a false narrative follow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I wish they would put some more ramps along our road.

Cars are flying down through a 50KPH L road until they hit the first ramp into the village

Advertisement