Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More speed ramps

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

hardybuck wrote: »
    Fingal could be using their time better figuring out how to reduce congestion rather than firing in more speed ramps.

However I see conversation has gone into motorist v cyclist again.

If the council are of the belief that speed ramps improve safety, they should probably consider putting them into cycle lanes too.

We've all met that aggressive, normally male, cyclist in all the gear who thinks he's Lance Armstrong. There are a few sections of the Phoenix Park in particular where they're dangerous to everyone around them.
    Yeah, 5kgs of carbon fiber at 30km is just as dangerous as 1+ ton of metal at 50km. They should install some cycle speed ramps pronto.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We've all met that aggressive, normally male, cyclist in all the gear who thinks he's Lance Armstrong. There are a few sections of the Phoenix Park in particular where they're dangerous to everyone around them.
    What do they do that makes them agressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yeah, 5kgs of carbon fiber at 30km is just as dangerous as 1+ ton of metal at 50km. They should install some cycle speed ramps pronto.

I know someone who died there. I wouldn't make light of it.

What do they do that makes them agressive?

It's just human behaviour and some people will behave badly regardless of the mode of transport they use.

Some of them are very vocal and verbally aggressive. There's one guy going around castleknock who seems to just shout at people.

Much like there are aggressive drivers there are aggressive cyclists who have an aggressive cycling style. I've noticed a lot of cyclists who are traveling too fast to allow themselves to stop safely if they need to. Most of the time they're probably hurting themselves, but that type of thing can cause accidents and harm everyone they share the road with.

Maybe some basic training should be mandatory before people can qualify for things like the cycle to work scheme.

But if we're accepting the basic principle that speed ramps are a good thing, we should afford the same protections to cyclists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

But if we're accepting the basic principle that speed ramps are a good thing, we should afford the same protections to cyclists too.

It implies that you're accepting a basic principle that bikes are as dangerous as cars, which is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    It implies that you're accepting a basic principle that bikes are as dangerous as cars, which is ridiculous.

I think you're jumping to conclusions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You've already got there before me several times.

Other than the fact they're a form of transport with wheels, there's no comparison when it comes to the dangers involved.

Hurrache wrote: »
    You've already got there before me several times.

Why are you so defensive?

Just to come back to your edited post, the similarity is that a measure to reduce speed in certain areas may boost safety.

There is international precedent for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its not 5kgs its the weight of the bike + rider. Besides no ones comparing the two.

The Park is under the OPW, and whats needs is a park ranger to pull people cycling dangerously and/or recklessly and tell them to cop on.

Wouldn't need all these ramps, for road uses, drivers or cyclists if there was more enforcement.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's just human behaviour and some people will behave badly regardless of the mode of transport they use.

Some of them are very vocal and verbally aggressive. There's one guy going around castleknock who seems to just shout at people.

Much like there are aggressive drivers there are aggressive cyclists who have an aggressive cycling style. I've noticed a lot of cyclists who are traveling too fast to allow themselves to stop safely if they need to. Most of the time they're probably hurting themselves, but that type of thing can cause accidents and harm everyone they share the road with.

Maybe some basic training should be mandatory before people can qualify for things like the cycle to work scheme.

I was going to respond to each of your points individually but to be honest, all of what you've posted here is crap so its best just to label it as such
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fingal could be using their time better figuring out how to reduce congestion rather than firing in more speed ramps.

However I see conversation has gone into motorist v cyclist again.

If the council are of the belief that speed ramps improve safety, they should probably consider putting them into cycle lanes too.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of any speeding cyclists that are regular maiming and killing people and have to be forced to slow down to stop this happening.

Incidentally, I drive and cycle and find speed ramps an necessary pain in the ar$e thanks to the motorists who treat the roads like a race track. One thing that would greatly help when cycling would be a pass through left and right of the ramp. Until motorists get the message and slow down, I'd say build them more often and higher.

I was going to respond to each of your points individually but to be honest, all of what you've posted here is crap so its best just to label it as such
    :rolleyes:

We'd have a great discussion forum if everyone took the same approach. If you want to engage in debate do it properly.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Interesting. I wasn't aware of any speeding cyclists that are regular maiming and killing people and have to be forced to slow down yo stop this happening.

Incidentally, I drive and cycle and find speed ramps an necessary pain in the ar$e thanks to the motorists who treat the roads like a race track. One thing that would greatly help when cycling would be a pass through left and right of the ramp. Until motorists get the message and slow down, I'd say build them more often and higher.

I think Irish cyclist deaths have risen by the highest level among EU states in the past ten years.

While cycling deaths are rising by about 8% a year, deaths among motorists has fallen by about 5% a year.

I'm sure that's a multifaceted issue, and plenty of cyclists have been hurt through no fault of their own.

However I think the common denominator here is human behaviour. Some cyclists will be safe and others won't.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Interesting. I wasn't aware of any speeding cyclists that are regular maiming and killing people and have to be forced to slow down yo stop this happening.

The fixed fines that were brought in seem to be intended to force better cycling behaviour. There's also been some high profile cases in the media of cyclists Vs pedestrian accidents.

https://irishcycle.com/2015/07/19/cycling-fines-what-you-need-to-know-from-august-1/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/almost-5-000-on-the-spot-fines-issued-to-cyclists-1.3977141%3fmode=amp
    Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I think Irish cyclist deaths have risen by the highest level among EU states in the past ten years.

While cycling deaths are rising by about 8% a year, deaths among motorists has fallen by about 5% a year.

I'm sure that's a multifaceted issue, and plenty of cyclists have been hurt through no fault of their own.

However I think the common denominator here is human behaviour. Some cyclists will be safe and others won't.

Not sure what the relevance of these statistics are. Anyway, let's not let it descend into motorists versus cyclists. At the moment there's a huge problem with speeding motorists and Fingal are trying to stop this by building speed ramps. if people slowed down and treated the roads with a bit of respect, there'd be no need for these to be built in the first place. Until that happens, they'll continue to pepper our roads.

As a cyclist I've always found D15 to have some of the worst Driving in the city. Especially when it comes to giving cyclists some space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

They have in st catherines park, no joke.

Phil.x wrote: »
    They have in st catherines park, no joke.

Where in Catherine's park?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

beauf wrote: »
    Where in beech park?

https://goo.gl/maps/hok8jkHF2tCkojeK6

Entrance between Clonsilla train station and the gates into Luttrellstown Castle.

Lovely spot.

EDIT: Thought you said "where is beech park" for a minute. Need to pay more attention.

Where in beech park?

catherines park

• Advertisement

I meant in Catherine's park where are the cycling specific ramps.

There is about 4 or 5.

There is about 4 or 5 ramps.

There's about 4 or 5 ramps.

Thanks. It's that around the pitches? Never noticed them before.

Thanks. It's that around the pitches? Never noticed them before.

Yes, at the bmx end.

Must have a problem at some point. I'm only ever walking there.

Advertisement