Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Indoor Championships 2019- Glasgow 1st-3rd March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

ENGLISH M (IRL) Fifth 1:50.70
    It´s ridiculous that someone can go on the inside and get away with it. Hopefully they will disqualify him. I felt really good which is frustrating but what can you do? He pushed in the inside of me and tried to claim it was my fault.

LEARMONTH G (GBR) Disqualified UPDATED
    This is the second time in a few weeks that this has happened, so I´m just a bit devastated. I don´t really know what caused the accident I need to watch it back. It might have been my fault, I don´t know. I´m really pleased Jamie is going through though he really deserves it. I have been voted team captain and that´s an honour I´m going to take away from this event. I´m going to wake up tomorrow and it´s a new day. I´m going to come in and cheer for my team. I´m not just going to be a drip at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

walshb wrote: »
    Delighted for him...

Ah that's good....I think someone hacked your account over the past hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ah that's good....I think someone hacked your account over the past hour

I am genuinely happy.

If that is the ruling so be it. I just think it’s wrong..the rule, that is!

Had Mark finished 4th and some faller came in behind him and got a finals place due to a protest I’d be the exact same...

Some talent this lad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I am genuinely happy.

If that is the ruling so be it. I just think it’s wrong..the rule, that is!

Had Mark finished 4th and some faller came in behind him and got a finals place due to a protest I’d be the exact same...

There are far better people than me here to point out the faulty logic of this position - and indeed already have above. The guy finishing 4th is totally irrelevant to the argument, he or she has had their chance, run their race and proved not good enough. If there wasn't an appeals procedure in place for incidents occurring during the race, you're leaving it open to the scenario, as outlined above, of athletes being taken out with no recourse but to bitterness and feelings of being hard done by. From watching the odd bit of speed skating now and again, it's exactly the same procedure. Even more common in that sport from my occasional observation.

• Advertisement

Gerry made a good point about a qualified athlete now having to share a lane...

The final is no longer a fair and equal race to all...ludicrous...

That is not sport in its purest sense...

Hope he wins. Great athlete, Irish too...

My view is purely from a sporting perspective...

Btw, what if this happens in the final? Rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Gerry made a good point about a qualified athlete now having to share a lane...

The final is no longer a fair and equal race to all...ludicrous...

That is not sport in its purest sense...

Hope he wins. Great athlete, Irish too...

My view is purely from a sporting perspective...

Btw, what if this happens in the final? Rule?

Lanes are pretty much irrelevant over 800m.

By the way, in sprints races aren't fair and equal for all on an indoor track. Those on the outside lanes have an unfair advantage.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Lanes are pretty much irrelevant over 800m.

By the way, in sprints races aren't fair and equal for all on an indoor track. Those on the outside lanes have an unfair advantage.

Yes, but they have their own lane.

These 800 lads are big men. 2 of the 7 are not in the same race...

They have to share a lane for a portion of the race...

Anyway, do you know the rule for the final should an athlete be illegally impeded? If what happens yesterday happens today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yes, but they have their own lane.

These 800 lads are big men. 2 of the 7 are not in the same race...
    Which has already happened in 4 of the 7 800m races so far. In fact, in heat 2 in the first round, despite having a DNS athlete in lane 1, the two runners in lane 3 still shared a lane. So yes, it is still the same race

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Dead heat if you ask me!

• Advertisement

Some of these lasses need to cover up a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Bronze For English!! Some running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

Thrilled for him !!

Nice medal...

Didn’t have the pace/strength when it mattered..

In a great position starting the last lap..

It’s a medal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff Mark, held on well for the bronze.

Nice medal...

It’s a medal...

Your a fffin wand!!!

Edit: You’re a fffin wand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

Nice medal...

It’s a medal...

Your very tough on him or have very high standards..
    Mark just won a medal in a European championship. !!

4Ad wrote: »
    Your very tough on him or have very high standards..
    Mark just won a medal in a European championship. !!

Not at all..

Great medal..

I honestly was hoping for a silver or gold. I rate the man.

Just felt with a lap to go he didn’t show us what he really is capable of. Looked labored the last 40 meters or so..

English on top form could have won there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Delighted for him. Would have nearly expected the 4th placed notionally faster finisher to pass him in the final 100m but Mark cleverly held him at bay forcing him slightly wider (and running as fast as he could too of course 😄 )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Very bad organisation of the medal ceremonies,temporary podium put up in the stadium today after complaints,no flags apart from something flashed up on a screen during the winner's national anthem.

• Advertisement

Mark has been crippled with injuries for the last few years, he ran his 2nd and 3rd fastest indoor 800's ever this year. To see him get back and looking this good this early in the year is fantastic. A Bronze medal is a brilliant result and when you consider he just ran his 3rd fastest 800 indoor time in his 3rd race in 3 days, it bodes even better especially when he was running 100% in the semi after the fall yesterday

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Mark has been crippled with injuries for the last few years, he ran his 2nd and 3rd fastest indoor 800's ever this year. To see him get back and looking this good this early in the year is fantastic. A Bronze medal is a brilliant result and when you consider he just ran his 3rd fastest 800 indoor time in his 3rd race in 3 days, it bodes even better.

Yip, 3rd medal in European indoor/outdoor, 2 bronze and a silver. He’s a great runner who’s been terribly unlucky with injuries the past while, hopefully he can be injury free for a sustained period and improve on what’s been a great career at only 25 years of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why does Hamilton keep saying "the ten hundred metres"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

My four year old stayed in her Nana's house last night (bear with me :pac:).

I went to collect her this morning and the first thing she did was go over to the corner of the room and shout 'hey Dada, watch this, watch how fast I am'

She then sprinted across the room.

Turned out they were watching the action last night.

So proud.

She was quite slow though. Needs work.

Missed Mark’s interview...

How did he assess his race?

Gerry is after taking my opinion of myself down a peg or 10 there with the comment on terribly slow 1k times:pac:

Missed Mark’s interview...

How did he assess his race?

He said “ Unless I can live up to walshb’s high standards from Boards i’m at nothing, as he said sure i’m only a plodder. walshb is the man!!! “

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nice medal...

It’s a medal...

You don't have much of a hope when you're racing against a fella who shares his name with a Speedy Gonzalez catch-phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Gerry is after taking my opinion of myself down a peg or 10 there with the comment on terribly slow 1k times:pac:

Yeah I'm waiting for people in work tomorrow to ask me how much my 1k time is faster than the really slow lads who were on the telly last night! :(

• Advertisement

I missed whatever he said, but I would hope from an athletics point of view he analyzed the race in detail...

Gerry usually knows his sh1t..

Advertisement