Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Siemens Alarm - wireless install

Options
  • 28-02-2019 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Folks,

I’m hoping you can help me with with the following questions about selecting an alarm system.

Some background... I’ve recently moved into an old house. We’ve done the basic renovations to make it very liveable (windows, kitchen,painting & decorating, etc) however in the next 5-7 years we’re going to have to rewire / replumb the house and possibly extend the kitchen.

Due to an attempted break-in recently I’m keen to get an alarm installed. From my research I’m keen to get the Siemens SPC alarm installed.

For ease of installation at this point I was planning to go with a full wireless install, and then (perhaps) move to a wired installation when the big renovations are being done at a later date.

When engaging with an alarm company for a quote on the Siemens SPC alarm they advised me against it as there is not a wireless Inertia detector that picks up the breaking of glass.

Based on this should this put me off the Siemens SPC alarm?

Should I look at an alternative product?

Many thanks for your help! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes. Siemens Vanderbilt only have wireless contacts. You could add wireless shock via 3rd party devices using a quick bridge receiver to convert the wireless into wired zones. A bit messy IMO.
    I'd recommend you take a look at the GSD i1070 . They have a full wireless portfolio and will also give you the option to integrate or replace with wireless later on.

Was there any feature in particular sending you towards Siemens Vanderbilt.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alan_2019

Koolkid - many thanks for your advice!

Im interested in the Seiemns Vanderbilt as it has strong features like:
    - good mobile app compared to other solutions
    - home integration capabilities
    - can incorporate other devices like fire alarms into the solution

Can you elaborate on why the bridge is messy? It is just the setup or does it impact the operation of the alarm aswell?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I' also say look at the GSD i1070

How much integration are you looking for with home automation?

If you were using a quick bridge for other brand wireless devices this involves installing a quick bridge receiver. All the wireless devices are programmed (learnt) into this unit not the alarm.
    From this unit you are then given an output to wire in wired inputs on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Alan_2019 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I’m hoping you can help me with with the following questions about selecting an alarm system.

Some background... I’ve recently moved into an old house. We’ve done the basic renovations to make it very liveable (windows, kitchen,painting & decorating, etc) however in the next 5-7 years we’re going to have to rewire / replumb the house and possibly extend the kitchen.

Due to an attempted break-in recently I’m keen to get an alarm installed. From my research I’m keen to get the Siemens SPC alarm installed.

For ease of installation at this point I was planning to go with a full wireless install, and then (perhaps) move to a wired installation when the big renovations are being done at a later date.

When engaging with an alarm company for a quote on the Siemens SPC alarm they advised me against it as there is not a wireless Inertia detector that picks up the breaking of glass.

Based on this should this put me off the Siemens SPC alarm?

Should I look at an alternative product?

Many thanks for your help! :)

He would be correct what he says re the wire free Inertias.

If your going to be cabling down the road you could also install a trap pack, wire free PIRs and add wired inertias to the alarm at a later date when you get it cables.

Down side to this is an intruder is in your home by the time a PIR is activated but it gives you an option now with the option to add wired inertias at a later date when works are finished on the house.

Advertisement