Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderlands 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Anyone buying this digitally?
    Yes once it hits a relevant platform (read GoG/Steam).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah it almost seems like it doesn't quite hit the same heights as BL2, but it's better than TPS and with some QoL improvements. That'll do me anyway.

I appreciate you trying to manage my expectations but it's too late.

Yeah it almost seems like it doesn't quite hit the same heights as BL2, but it's better than TPS and with some QoL improvements. That'll do me anyway.

I appreciate you trying to manage my expectations Penn but it's already too late.

Oddly they only sent out review codes to US reviewers for fear of leaks apparently :rolleyes:

Shift code for 5 golden keys for BL3

ZFKJ3-TT3BB-JTBJT-T3JJT-JWX9H

Needs to be done on the old shift site here https://shift.gearboxsoftware.com/rewards

Take care when selecting the game and platform you want to redeem it for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I only got 3 keys.

Still happy though better than none.

Ha I never actually noticed how many it was I just assumed it was 5 like they usually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I wonder can anyone help me. Those codes above were three for Borderland 3 and three for Borderlands 2. I redeemed them on Xbox and they are there under codes but they do not show up in game. Anyone know what wrong? It is the Handsome collection so someone online said you have to open the pre-sequel and accept the terms in there so I did but they still do not show up in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

PC gamer review doesnt inspire comfidence.

https://www.pcgamer.com/borderlands-3-review/

• Advertisement

Can't read it in work but the PC gamer score is dragging the metacritic aggregate down to 85 so it's a bit of an outlier. I saw one comment from the article that it skates by with numbers flying and goons exploding, both positive features in my eyes.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dcully wrote: »

Hmmmmmmm

Worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dcully wrote: »

It really seems like their only complaints boil down to the writing/humour (which seems similar to the previous games, yet is being called out here for being too juvenile) and lack of end-game content (even though with Mayhem mode it seems like there's more end-game content than there was for BL2 at launch irrespective of incoming DLCs).

Can't say I'm in anyway concerned about what's in that review. Some of the juvenile humour in the previous games could be annoying and even some of the more satirical humour/jabs could have been better served by being a bit more subtle and generally just written better, but a 63/100 when those are the only real faults they can point at in the game seems wildly off imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It really seems like their only complaints boil down to the writing/humour (which seems similar to the previous games, yet is being called out here for being too juvenile) and lack of end-game content (even though with Mayhem mode it seems like there's more end-game content than there was for BL2 at launch irrespective of incoming DLCs).

Can't say I'm in anyway concerned about what's in that review. Some of the juvenile humour in the previous games could be annoying and even some of the more satirical humour/jabs could have been better served by being a bit more subtle and generally just written better, but a 63/100 when those are the only real faults they can point at in the game seems wildly off imo.

I think the reviewer didn't like the endgame loop either and seems he was expecting more of a games as a service effort. Most of his previous articles are about Fortnite so probably just prefers that type of game.

Edit: apparently he's PC Gamers "bad boy"

His bio -
    James is PC Gamer’s bad boy, staying up late to cover Fortnite while cooking up radical ideas for the weekly livestream. He can still kickflip and swears a lot. You’ll find him somewhere in the west growing mushrooms and playing Dark Souls.

I'm very much old school and prejudiced. I can't help but think less of someone who enjoys Fortnite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t like Fortnite, but I’d almost take it above Borderlands. The ‘try hard’ writing and humour is series-ruining for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm very much old school and prejudiced. I can't help but think less of someone who enjoys Fortnite.

Doubt he actually does.

490282.png

Its rather annoying that Eurogamer didnt get a review code, as my opinions normally align with them. I dont trust IGN and PC Gamer just sound like grumpy old men.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Vicxas wrote: »
    Its rather annoying that Eurogamer didnt get a review code, as my opinions normally align with them. I dont trust IGN and PC Gamer just sound like grumpy old men.

ACG does very good and fair reviews. Think he is spot on on most of his calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Vicxas wrote: »

Say that'll happen more and more, the bigger sites are probably still worth it for publishers sending out a codes. Better to just get the game into the hands of youtubers or streamers who completely separately to any sponsorship deal do try to make their content enjoyable for their audience which only helps the game.

Not sure I believe the stuff about it being US publication only getting it, that some are saying as there's load of reviews from other European sites. Probably PR giving them the brush.

• Advertisement

I don’t like Fortnite, but I’d almost take it above Borderlands. The ‘try hard’ writing and humour is series-ruining for me :(

It can definitely be like that, and it can be dangerous playing these games with contact lenses due to how often the humour and writing will make you roll your eyes.

But it can really nail it some of the time, even if it might tend to overplay the same joke in later DLCs/games.

Ultimately though, the gameplay can be so much fun that the forced humour just never bothers me enough to put me off. That and my first BL game was BL2 where some of the writing was just so damn good and I had no knowledge or expectations that a lot of it really took me by surprise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't find anything in Borderlands 2 funny. It's just regurgitated memes and nerd culture humour. Also don't see them changing it in BL3 as it never harmed sales of that game.

The end game being a bit slight will change with post game content and inevitable expansions.

I'm pretty sure I found it funny the first time but have replayed it so often I can't remember. I do remember claptrap being defeated by stairs or Mad Maw and his merry midgets as humorous. Maybe it's just my juvenile sense of humour.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I found it funny the first time but have replayed it so often I can't remember. I do remember claptrap being defeated by stairs or Mad Maw and his merry midgets as humorous. Maybe it's just my juvenile sense of humour.

Handsome Jack I just thought was brilliant throughout, some of his lines were great. Some of Claptrap's humour, some of Tiny Tina, even DLC characters like Mister Torgue... a lot of them are really funny at first, but tend to have diminishing returns. Most of what I found funny were just some of the smaller things. I picked up BL2 on a complete whim, not knowing anything about it at all. Then when you pick up your first gun and a message pops up saying "You just moved five feet and opened a locker. Later, when you're killing skyscraper-sized monsters with a gun that shoots lightning, you'll look back on this moment and be like, "heh."", I knew I'd enjoy the game.

Some of the humour is funny. Some of the humour is stupid. Some of the humour is so stupid, it's funny.

As far as selling points of the game though, I wouldn't consider the humour to be a big selling point. It's first and foremost a looter-shooter, and that's what I'm looking forward to most.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I dont play games for humour or story,i watch movies and tv shows or whatever for that i focus 100% on gameplay and its served me well for over 20 years of gaming.
    BL always had this in bucketloads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Didn't find anything in Borderlands 2 funny. It's just regurgitated memes and nerd culture humour. Also don't see them changing it in BL3 as it never harmed sales of that game.

The end game being a bit slight will change with post game content and inevitable expansions.
    Sir; I wish to report a Zombie who needs to eat funny bones :P. Tiny Tina (and her dedicated DLC) was brilliant and a driving force behind me picking up the sequal to get more of her.
    He said no? Well there's only one thing to do; look him politely in the eye, nod politely, and KILL THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF HIM!

Tiny Tina and Sir Hammerlock made BL2 for me.

Nody wrote: »
    Tiny Tina (and her dedicated DLC) was brilliant and a driving force behind me picking up the sequal to get more of her.

Tiny Tina can get grating after a while but her DLC was, for me, the pinnacle of BL writing and humour. It was fantastic throughout with a really great story too. Her interjections in The Pre-Sequel were also pretty great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nody wrote: »
    Sir; I wish to report a Zombie who needs to eat funny bones :P. Tiny Tina (and her dedicated DLC) was brilliant and a driving force behind me picking up the sequal to get more of her.

Some people find the Big Bang Theory funny.

I don't know, BL2 just didn't gel with me and the humour was just so try hard like a bad youtuber... which is what people like so what do I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Tales from the Borderlands had the best comedy writing in the whole series. Some genuine laugh out loud moments in that game.

Advertisement