Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderlands 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm level 10, not sure if i should continue or level up the Siren.. I'm currently playing Moze, her tank is pretty powerful, but its slow and clunky and doesnt really suite my play style..

Heck since playing BL2, snipers my automatic go to, so probably best playing Zane instead me thinks >_<

Ugh decisions :(

Theres a
    Destiny
    Easter Egg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

PC folks, this has probably been mentioned elsewhere but for performance if you need to trim anything from Visuals/Advanced drop 'Volumetric Fog' and 'Screen Space Reflections' . I've an i8700k(@5Ghz per core)/2080ti with around 15% OC/32GB ram. The game would mostly run between 50-60Hz @4k with some dropping to mid 40s on Badass (all ultra), minus motion blur (I hate it) and AA (don't need it). Each step in either of the options I mentioned added about 4-5 FPS. I settled on V-Fog at Medium and Screen-SR at High to even out pretty much all scenes at 60fps where I've left it capped. To be sure I ran some captures for both on what I figured where scenes that would involve both heavily and the differences are almost negligible, you really have to hunt through static images to find an improvement which means during game...forget it. Now there may be other scenes that use both more heavily (I did notice a difference with the Screen-SR on icy surfaces earlier for example) but it looks like the engine right now does not properly cull these pipelines for scenes that are not heavily using them so they induce the same load when enabled whether the scene is heavily or lightly using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    PC folks, this has probably been mentioned elsewhere but for performance if you need to trim anything from Visuals/Advanced drop 'Volumetric Fog' and 'Screen Space Reflections' . I've an i8700k(@5Ghz per core)/2080ti with around 15% OC/32GB ram. The game would mostly run between 50-60Hz @4k with some dropping to mid 40s on Badass (all ultra), minus motion blur (I hate it) and AA (don't need it). Each step in either of the options I mentioned added about 4-5 FPS. I settled on V-Fog at Medium and Screen-SR at High to even out pretty much all scenes at 60fps where I've left it capped. To be sure I ran some captures for both on what I figured where scenes that would involve both heavily and the differences are almost negligible, you really have to hunt through static images to find an improvement which means during game...forget it. Now there may be other scenes that use both more heavily (I did notice a difference with the Screen-SR on icy surfaces earlier for example) but it looks like the engine right now does not properly cull these pipelines for scenes that are not heavily using them so they induce the same load when enabled whether the scene is heavily or lightly using them.

Hardware Unboxed usually do a good guide for the bigger releases.

One Xbox I've played about 5 hours on 'resolution' then switched to 'performance' for a few hours. The fps increase was nice wasn't worth the downgrade in visuals so switched back. Seems to run at a decent (for console) frame rate on the higher visual setting and no noticeable drops so far.

Split screen on the other hand , game play is fine but the menus lag like fook.

• Advertisement

Grenades are wrong in this vs previous games. Nowhere near as effective and as fun.

EDIT: Actually shields are crap too

I usually turn v sync off in games, but it appears i cant turn it off for this game, i can see the option but just cant change it to off, or am i missing something?

My games running fine, i may tinker with settings lately, i do get the odd fps lag but its usually just when loading into a place and then its grand from then on..

Anyway, decided to continue with Moze, cant be arsed restarting at the mo :p

And just done a kickass mission with
    Zer0
    , savage :)

TitianGerm wrote: »

Hardware Unboxed usually do a good guide for the bigger releases.

Aye, and it's refreshing to see unadulterated detail in this day and age, good guide.

But there's also still the fun of finding it yourself, and in the process understanding what the features really mean and how they tie together. Which maikes BL3s optimisations more puzzling. Typically once we got passed pixel-density expanders like AA being the biggest hog it came down to whatever shadow tech was in place. Whether it was shadow-map size/and now RTX, general complexities or the anciallaries such as SSAO/HBAO. But those make little difference here. Modern fog has been a perf hog I'd say in the last 4 or so years in how much it ties particle physics to lighting but again in a good engine it should only be an issue when there is a tremendous and obvious amount in play - The Division/Div2 are a great example in that the differing levels are very visually obvious but slowdowns occur in scenes where it visually should. In BL3 it's like an always-on-toggle, regardless of use.
    I tend to hate the overuse of the term 'un-opoptimised', where it's used as a buzzword whenever anything does not achieve the FPS the owner presumes but here it is deserved. It's a known process that is not working properly imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

nix wrote: »
    I usually turn v sync off in games, but it appears i cant turn it off for this game, i can see the option but just cant change it to off, or am i missing something?

My games running fine, i may tinker with settings lately, i do get the odd fps lag but its usually just when loading into a place and then its grand from then on..

Zer0

Cant turn it off in window borderless?? umm that one.

I have Gsync and the only way to turn it off was to go full screen.

Level 12 now and not a fan of Fl4k :/

the monkey with a shotgun attacks everything all the time

Zer0

Do you have an override set in your GFX card control? I have seen some config bugs personally. Resolution and FPS lock are not saving on my own game. If I check the menu they are where they should be but are not actually active. I have to toggle from/to them again to enforce on each restart.

• Advertisement

Do you have an override set in your GFX card control? I have seen some config bugs personally. Resolution and FPS lock are not saving on my own game. If I check the menu they are where they should be but are not actually active. I have to toggle from/to them again to enforce on each restart.

Its the game, you cant turn it off unless you switch to fullscreen.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its the game, you cant turn it off unless you switch to fullscreen.

Very true but not because it's this game, but because anything other than fullscreen is subject to the desktop setting, and disables efficiency overrides.

Very true but not because it's this game, but because anything other than fullscreen is subject to the desktop setting, and disables efficiency overrides.

G Sync Predator monitor, V sync is my nemisis :pac::pac:

dreamers75 wrote: »
    G Sync Predator monitor, V sync is my nemisis :pac::pac:

Nice :)

I moved to gaming on a TV a year ago so 60FPS is now my 'thing'. Trust me I've done everytihing I could to move beyond that over the years. I bought a 120Hz asus monitor about a decade ago, before 144hz was also a 'thing', I loved seeing how how pure digital could re-acquire CRT silkiness. It took a lot for me to pause on that race but right now I love the TV more than the silkiness of non-refresh-limited/+100hz gaming. Still I miss it, or rather want both. I hear the 2019 LG OLEDs are going to be added to GSYNC compatible and thank god for HDMI-2.1 and VRR.

Now to wait a year or so and convince Mrs. Creed the current TV would look better in the living room and I need one of those GSyncyOledGods for the mancave to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Playing as Amara, currently lvl18. Really enjoying it so far. Her skill isn't the most imaginative, but it's decent and once I get to the capstone in the Mystical Assault tree, I can use it twice as often and it'll get a damage boost too, so should turn it into a proper damage-bomb. Totally wrecking everything with Jakobs pistols though. Have always been the best weapons in the game.

Only criticisms I have so far:

Some of the maps are too big and confusing. Spent ages trying to get to an objective in Lectra City but couldn't find it or how to get to it because it was underground, and the map wasn't entirely helpful in trying to figure out how to get underground. It also means you might be heading towards an objective on the minimap and end up running into a dead end because you're supposed to go all the way around.

Not sure how fond I am of losing the d-pad to switch weapons. Pressing down to switch to an alt firing mode is good, but being able to map weapons to different d-pad buttons in previous games was key. I can imagine trying to get from weapon 1 to 4 in the heat of battle will have huge consequences. Would have preferred maybe holding the weapon swap button to switch firing mode of the same weapon, and keep the d-pad as it was. Swap missions in the menu as before and figure out something else for the ping system (which is useless for playing solo)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »

Not sure how fond I am of losing the d-pad to switch weapons. Pressing down to switch to an alt firing mode is good, but being able to map weapons to different d-pad buttons in previous games was key.

Mind f**king blown :eek: I never knew you could do that in the previous games :pac:

RopeDrink wrote: »

You can speed up Iron Bear a bit with the flame-thrower side-arm. I'm having a blast with her so far. Passive incendiary to melt people as a trooper and, if your shield does get popped for some reason, hop into Iron Bear and mow everything down while your shields replenish. Just got my hands on a weapon set with a very noticeable power-spike. Seems going full incindiary with her can be very, very nasty for anything that isn't a multi-shielded :P

Yeah i decided to stick with her and am enjoying her a lot more now, i got the rail gun with the chain effect and attachment to make it incendiary and im just melting everything on screen with it now.

Are you using the launcher or mini gun for the secondary fire? I tried the mini gun but it didnt seem to be doing much damage and it overheats too quick. So i went back to the launcher, currently speccing a bit into that tree so i can get the attachment that boosts the damage of direct hits by like 36%..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Encountered One Punch [Man] in Lebra City subway, lives up to his name... my poor pet. :p

Found an awesome Legendary Jacobs revolver that does 55 damage per shot with a fire rate of 12/s. With a capacity of 8, you're out within less than a second doing insane burst damage... and that's a level 12 pistol! My FL4K just tears through everything with the cloak 100% crits with the passive to not wear out after 3 shots. With Jacob's crit ricochets I can clear out areas quick with it. :D

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Mind f**king blown :eek: I never knew you could do that in the previous games :pac:

There's a dpad symbol beside each weapon slot in previous games showing which button it correlates to. Meant I usually tried to have pistol as Up, shotgun as Down, Smg Left and rifle/other Right (though as Sal that changed due to gunzerking). That way I knew which weapon to switch to on the fly.

Will miss that ability alright. Don't know how you managed without it :D

Penn wrote: »
    There's a dpad symbol beside each weapon slot in previous games showing which button it correlates to. Meant I usually tried to have pistol as Up, shotgun as Down, Smg Left and rifle/other Right (though as Sal that changed due to gunzerking). That way I knew which weapon to switch to on the fly.

Will miss that ability alright. Don't know how you managed without it :D

You can change it to classic in the settings, it puts the fire mode controls on hold
    X/Y buttons then.

• Advertisement

Whens a good time to use golden keys by the way? i have 5 but am gonna keep some encase of other play through's..

You can change it to classic in the settings, it puts the fire mode controls on hold
    X/Y buttons then.

Seriously? Awesome, will check it out. Was going to look but still only have three weapon slots unlocked so hasn't been a major issue thus far anyway. Cheers

At the end of the Atlas, at last mission
    Rhys asks is you like his moustache, when you answer you get a pop up saying he will remember that
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Anyone else having issues with FL4k, in co-op the pet just stands there and does nothing alot of the time.....its so frustrating and game breaking. Has not done it in solo (yet) but in co-op its just terrible....level 28 now and I am enjoying the game but I think co-op makes it great craic.

But with Fl4K the animal pet is absolutely key to everything so if it does not respond to any commands its game over!!!

Really hope they fix it soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Rofl, encountered a hilarious bug that happened during a crucial moment during the story;

Spoiler:
    When Maya dies in the Vault, after she got disintegrated her Gun was still in the air, and throughout the scenes that gun is just dancing about in the background, as though possessed, while Ava and the twins have their exchange
    ... XD

Whens a good time to use golden keys by the way? i have 5 but am gonna keep some encase of other play through's..

Just every 2-3 levels I use one. If you follow certain accounts on twitter they post shift codes for golden keys every few days, so no point holding on to keys for too long.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with FL4k, in co-op the pet just stands there and does nothing alot of the time.....its so frustrating and game breaking. Has not done it in solo (yet) but in co-op its just terrible....level 28 now and I am enjoying the game but I think co-op makes it great craic.

But with Fl4K the animal pet is absolutely key to everything so if it does not respond to any commands its game over!!!

Really hope they fix it soon....

Only I have with rando coop is being kicked because the host assumes I am stealing their loot.............

Got my first legendary drop last night, an SMG that seems to fire bullets of every element type, or at least a random combination. Also figured out how to check my mail and collected a bunch of rewards, some from having pre-ordered or VIP or Special Deluxe edition or whatever. Favourite is a legendary grenade that makes enemies drop more cash when they get hit, so that's helping fund some SDU upgrades.

• Advertisement

I think I've had more legendary drops already in the wild as in not bosses or named enemies than in the previous games combined.

Best so far is the Cloud Kill smg. Does serious corrosive damage. Literally melts stuff. That was a mission reward though.

The Jakobs companion pistol is very nice indeed. 14 round magazine on mine. Ignites enemies on crits.

Advertisement