Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

MidMan25 wrote: »
    It's 10 days away, it won't verify like every other chart at that timeframe.

Ten days away is the middle of April.. f**k that dark blue right off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Believe it or not, the opening days of April last year were even colder and wetter than the latest offering (which I find surprising myself as a can't even remember it being so)

Weather map for this day last year.

DWD_1_2018040400_45.png

Look familiar?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

pad199207 wrote: »
    Supposed to be a run this evening, instead it’s cup of tea and a clubmilk

This is great hot chocolate weather. Making one right now :)

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Believe it or not, the opening days of April last year were even colder and wetter than the latest offering (which I find surprising myself as a can't even remember it being so)

Weather map for this day last year.

DWD_1_2018040400_45.png

Look familiar?

Wasn't that the old beasht?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

lawred2 wrote: »

That was late Feb/early March.....a full 6 weeks earlier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It was mad looking!

Easterly wind would cut ya off though, felt really bitter.

4qpdN3c.jpg

Terrific capture Syran.

New Moon

highdef wrote: »
    That was late Feb/early March.....a full 6 weeks earlier!

Was it? I do remember something at the start of April

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

There was nothing exceptional but I believe some people got some snow but it was no Beast, as you described it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Artane2002

There was a rain/sleet event and I think a snow-ice advisory.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Artane2002 wrote: »
    There was a rain/sleet event and I think a snow-ice advisory.

Had sleet here in Dublin 16 on the 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Terrific capture Syran.

Thank you, glad to hear that as it was not pleasant to be there at the point in time!
    Artane2002 wrote: »
    This time last year was more torturous for me personally. 7 days or more of overcast skies in a row, I shudder at the thought of that, you probably know too well how much I hated the first half of April 2018 :P.

Technically it was 3 consecutive dull days in Dublin (Tuesday 10th to Thursday 12th) with easterly winds drawing low cloud in off the cool Irish Sea. Friday 13th was almost a completely dull day again but the sun appeared in the evening and I was like, what is that orange glow in the sky?

Fortunately, the second half of April was far superior and the last week had some nice, cool sunny days.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I remember it. Easter Sunday was April 1st last year and it was bucketing sleet and wet snow in Donegal that day. The cold lasted through the following days. Bitter cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Winter was too warm, Spring too cold,a good hot summer on the way please God.

Winter was too warm, Spring too cold,a good hot summer on the way please God.

I'm with you.

Keeping expectations extremely low for this Summer though as to avoid potential disappointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Now up to 11mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Now up to 11mm

Dry here in Arklow since hours ago,5 I think than God!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain hammering down outside, sky reception gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Out of the whole summer i think July will be best for dry and warm weather, CFS has been hinting that scenario as well but very unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It’s the middle of spring. It’s too late for anything special. Ofcourse it’s going to verify. This is Ireland.

April 1981; April 1917; April 1933, would suggest otherwise. These are extreme examples, but there have been other episodes of April snow fall in years gone by. In fact with the Polar night jet disintegrating at this time of year, April can sometimes be a month of notable contrasts; fairly cold, then warm up quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wet, chilly and grey out here today, but no wind so that is good...west mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Artane2002

This is the frostiest/iciest April morning in my memory with some nice fern frost. It's not particularly frosty but good for April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

April 1981; April 1917; April 1933, would suggest otherwise. These are extreme examples, but there have been other episodes of April snow fall in years gone by. In fact with the Polar night jet disintegrating at this time of year, April can sometimes be a month of notable contrasts; fairly cold, then warm up quite quickly.

Nacho your been a bit Nick picky with you 3 examples, extreme snow falls in April are rarer than white Christmas to be fair.
    Most people on boards wouldn't be old enough to experience 81. let alone the other two examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭glwaymiko

Bright sunny morning, slight grass frost in early morning...east Galway

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nice cover of snow to be seen this morning on the (higher) Dublin Mountains.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

certainly no snow or frost here in Meath, driveway and path's around house mostly waterlogged, lots of surface water and partial floods on minor roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Truly glorious out!
    The wind has changed to se and the sun is strong and sweet.

blue sky and azure ocean, air aromatic and pure

west mayo offshore idyll.. all is forgiven!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

some day in the West!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Blue skies, dry after frost last nite,north Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

ZX7R wrote: »
    Nacho your been a bit Nick picky with you 3 examples, extreme snow falls in April are rarer than white Christmas to be fair.
    Most people on boards wouldn't be old enough to experience 81. let alone the other two examples.

Nick who?:pac:

• Advertisement

Pretty meh in Dublin after a mixed morning.

Interesting how the two most anomalous -NAO Aprils were 1979 and 1995. Both were followed by very different summers to each other. 1979 was cool and wet with the infamous Fastnet yacht disaster. 1995 was.... well I think you know.

https://twitter.com/mikarantane/status/1114158806039244801?s=21

https://twitter.com/ekmeteo/status/1114162001066983424?s=21

Advertisement