Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Explain please??

Low pressure was centred over us/just to the south of us bringing very cool and strong northeasterly winds and wet weather.

Edit: Sryan beat me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Low pressure was centred over us/just to the south of us bringing very cool and strong northeasterly winds and wet weather.

Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It ended off with a dartboard low right over top of Ireland. Before that, a nice Bank Holiday weekend and Monday if on the cool side.

Oh joy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    big improvement today after the cold and wet conditions of the past week. Unfortunately the forecast for first half of May is looking brutal. We could be lighting fires till June.
    Artane2002 wrote: »

Are we talking about anything approaching record low temperatures for May?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

I don't think it will be record breaking low for May which was -5.6 Donegal 4th May 1979 going by met. It could get down to - 4 in the Midlands

• Advertisement

Here's the chart that I was talking about

NmVKFkN.jpg

Unlikely to verify this way but the outlook still looks like a cool one.

Mild balmy evening in Dublin with bird song. Idyllic really. Amazing how the absence of a breeze can make such a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

lawred2 wrote: »
    Mild balmy evening in Dublin with bird song. Idyllic really. Amazing how the absence of a breeze can make such a difference.
    Noticeable breeze all evening in North Kildare and VERY far from being in any way balmy with a current temperature of 9.8c. Put a "1" in front of the "9" and I would consider it balmy for the time of evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Are we talking about anything approaching record low temperatures for May?

not record low but certainly chilly. Daytime temperatures may struggle between 9 and 13C for much of the first half of May, and some night time frosts, plenty of rain at times. There is even a chance of wintry showers in parts of the UK.

Was it really balmy in Dublin last night folks?

• Advertisement

Was it really balmy in Dublin last night folks?

Not in my opinion anyway, the night was quite cold and the day was cool, jacket weather. To each their own though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Fairly crap start to May in Donegal as well, grey and dreary with showers yesterday, same again this morning so far.

Haven't seen the forecast all week but hopefully we get a bit of sunshine over the weekend at least

that MT forecast is seriously disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Turning much colder for a time, particularly at night, over the next 48 hours and not feeling great on windward east coasts. A real taste of Winter. Around 7 - 10c daytime - but dropping just below freezing inland after dark.

gfs-0-42.png?12

gfs-1-42.png?12

Well at least it's not just Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

g9fpP1W.jpg

Turning much colder for a time, particularly at night, over the next 48 hours and not feeling great on windward east coasts. A real taste of Winter. Around 7 - 10c daytime - but dropping just below freezing inland after dark.

The uppers over Scotland look incredible for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Notably cool (mean national max) temps for the first week of May over the last 45 years or so. LTA is between 13c and 14c.

1979: 9.1c :eek:
    1982: 10.2c
    1985: 11.3c
    1996: 11.3c
    1981: 11.4c.
    (Met Eireann)

Will be interesting to see what first week in May this year will bring in terms of cool max temps. My guess would be around 11.5c to 12.5c. Cool for the time of year for sure, but given that sun is very strong at this time of year, it is unlikely to feel unpleasent to any great extent when out and about. Healthy weather all round if you ask me.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

It's still spring, i'm not sure what some people expect. Hasn't been too a bad spring down here in Cork at all, save the proper warmth for mid summer.

There are some people on here who moan relentlessly about normal Irish weather, fair enough if it's much wetter or colder than normal but if it's around average then why the moaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I had a Finnish friend earlier complaining to me that it is snowing there and they already had temperatures of 20C+ last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

MidMan25 wrote: »
    It's still spring, i'm not sure what some people expect. Hasn't been too a bad spring down here in Cork at all, save the proper warmth for mid summer.

There are some people on here who moan relentlessly about normal Irish weather, fair enough if it's much wetter or colder than normal but if it's around average then why the moaning?

Or much hotter than normal in winter!

As another poster said, with strong sun this time of year it shouldn't feel unpleasant so hopefully that will be the case. I won't complain about lowish temps once it's dry and bright. In fact I'll take that over higher temps and constant grey drizzle.

But some proper heat in proper summer would be really lovely. Fingers crossed.:)

Funny that people on here who “moan” relentlessly about normal Irish weather in winter when it comes to “white gold” and the total lack of it aren’t subjected to the same level of criticism or comments.

I agree with some of this, we shouldn't expect summery weather yet since it's still Spring but I can definitely see why people would moan strong northeasterlies and wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A definite chill in the air. even the cuckoo has stopped calling... west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭joe199

Feeling cold in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Sun trying to come out here in West cork. 14 c with no wind, feels nice outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Even though there is cold air coming im sure it will still feel warm in the sun...but probably much colder in the shade and cloudier places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm in my conservatory and find it very pleasant. It's dry and bright here in Tralee this afternoon, even if a little chilly.

Each to their own when it comes to the weather and as we all have to live the weather it brings out the quirks and crankiness in us all when it doesn't suit us. Likewise people celebrate it in their own way when it's good. For example, personally, I couldn't imagine barbecues and dressing like I was headed for the nearest playa in March or April as seems to be the trend with many. For me that's for the real summer. So as yet all my shorts and skinny tops etc are still in the attic and it's nice to be looking forward to all of that. And if we don't get it there's always the land of the real summer playas, Spain.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

acequion wrote: »
    I'm in my conservatory and find it very pleasant. It's dry and bright here in Tralee this afternoon, even if a little chilly.

Each to their own when it comes to the weather and as we all have to live the weather it brings out the quirks and crankiness in us all when it doesn't suit us. Likewise people celebrate it in their own way when it's good. For example, personally, I couldn't imagine barbecues and dressing like I was headed for the nearest playa in March or April as seems to be the trend with many. For me that's for the real summer. So as yet all my shorts and skinny tops etc are still in the attic and it's nice to be looking forward to all of that. And if we don't get it there's always the land of the real summer playas, Spain.:)

I had a BBQ two weekends ago, when temperatures got to 22c in the garden. Had I not worn shorts and a t-shirt and instead worn jeans and a jumper, I would've been way too warm. I dress for the weather at the time, not for what month it is. Why would you want to avoid making use of fine warm weather outside of meteorological summer?

I could just imagine the reply I'd get if I had been invited to a BBQ by friends two weeks ago when we had that lovely weekend and I say that "I couldn't possibly go because it is April and it's just not right to have a nice time in the garden with family or friends in April..... June, July and August are the only permissable months for such activities. From June 1st, I will be able to join you but not before then because it's just wrong." I'd be a laughing stock and rightly so!

You're also saying that you are finding it very pleasant in your conservatory. Of course you are. You're indoors with no breeze and the room is trapping nearly all the solar radiation that is passing through the glass plus we're less that 7 weeks from the summer solstice..... So of course it's pleasant in your greenhouse. It is absolutely incomparable to the weather outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Non-descript day but a lovely evening in Dublin.

Advertisement