Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Dublin accent dying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There is a big field behind the recycling centre with several sheep grazing on it.

Horses and cows up the mountains near Stepaside.

Lots of semi abandoned and unused farmland between Lucan and Newcastle.

Go north and the Dubs know their spuds....thousands of tons of them in gigantic fields.

The farmer and the city boys should be friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

jimgoose wrote: »
    What is "schweeer"?

The accent of your friendly, neighbourhood ne'er do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

hahaha fair enough.

if thats what you call "comparisons in debate".

Something fishy about your comparisons though. I think i've seen those comparisons somewhere before.

Fair enough for somebody attempting to call me out for some reason.

Do explain your concerns.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 centralchill

nullzero wrote: »
    Fair enough for somebody attempting to call me out for some reason.

Do explain your concerns.

My first post was aimed at you and the other person equally.

You took it personal with me, the other person didn't.

That's why we are going back and forth.

I've no problem with you genuinely. I'm ready to move on if you are haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

My first post was aimed at you and the other person equally.

You took it personal with me, the other person didn't.

That's why we are going back and forth.

I've no problem with you genuinely. I'm ready to move on if you are haha
    Unfortunately some people can't help but make things about themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Ush1 wrote: »
    So were actually better at being culchies than culchies themselves?:pac:

First ye send your gurriers down the country, then ye send your working poor to drive our house prices up and now ye tractor-beam farming into The Pale!

I mean, it doesn't pay much so hope you don't need to pay rent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Well, my 4-year-old manages to make the English word 'school' into two syllables. I correct her each time and she just makes more of an elongated two syllables out of it for the craic, laughing her heart out. Two days ago as I was driving I corrected her and she took the piss out of it again, only to be followed by her 2-year-old brother in the seat next to her who is now, for the first time, making two syllables out of that word. And laughing through it all.

Feck it; I give up. She can 'done that', 'seen that' and eat 'crips' to her heart's content as seo amach.

sorry but I lol'd... I could have written that :D

giz a bih -> it's give me a bit, bit has a T,t,t,t,t

i spend my day saying "insert word" has a T

and she says "i like putting a Y on them..." obviously she hasn't realised it's a H yet, lol

and on it goes day after day

I'm fighting (with a T) a losing battle :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I got a text off my daughter the other day to say she was on her way into Tesco in Finglas and overheard one young wan saying to the other;

'Shurupp you Brenda, yiv a set o' teeth on ya like a row o' burnt out gaffs'

Clearly alive and well in Finglas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

There are a number of Dublin accents, ranging from Anto and Jono to something resembling a posh English accent.
    I think the posh one is far worse, a result of our colonial past, more imperial dna in the dubs than us culchies.
    Seriously these threads always descend into city vs country, blah blah......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Iv thought the same thing hearing young wans on the bus these days they sound like something from made in Chelsea or Essex kinda fake to me but whatever I suppose that’s the way it is these days.

And even younger boys taking up the YouTube gamer American talk when speaking about or playing games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

silverharp wrote: »
    I liked the old Dublin accent , did its skanger version always exist or where did that even come from?

The very strong high-pitched variant you hear now is relatively new I believe (not as new as the mid-atlantic speak, but still pretty new).

About 100 years ago most Dublin people spoke somewhere between Ronnie Drew (see https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/681-history-of-rte/685-rte-1950s/288211-living-with-lynch-radio-comedy-series-begins-1954/) and CJ Haughey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I met a lad working for Irish Rail before. He said the top brass in the group were considering putting a 'wet carriage' on the Friday trains out of Dublin. It would be a carriage set aside exclusively for 'True Blue' Dubs. The sort who think they are fierce funny and witty, and have the need to shout everything out to prove it. Anyways this carriage would have its own toilet so they can go in there and snort cocaine in peace without annoying other customers. And they can can drink as much Orchards Thief and sing as much Crazy World as they want.

Seemed like a great idea.

Heard that as well John, some rumour that they were bringing on empty flagons of Tizer in case the stool room gets blocked.

Poor lad down around Dunsandle Junction got a belt of a full bottle on the back of the neck.

Drank the lot and his only comment was it must have been left near the heater .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Is the lad with the suitcase of "jewellery" still trading?

His sales patter was mildly entertaining.

I don't know. I don't work there :D just use to pass if you were on a day out in town as a kid.

Don't remember him but next time if I'm going through Henry Street, Ill look out for him and let you know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

On a somewhat tangential note, do any of yiz know anyone who was offended by Tommy McAnairey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

jimgoose wrote: »
    For me, Ronnie Drew will always be the benchmark. Where's me batha boogah?? :D

I will just pull out this quote as illustrative of the level of utter ignorance of many here on this topic. Pay attention, muppets, and let the real D4 educate you.

Go and seek out any footage on You Tube of interviews given by the two Dubliner legends Ronnie Drew and Luke Kelly and then ask yourselves: which one grew up in Sherrif Street (inner city, north side, home of the arch skanger family the Hutches) and which was from Dun Laoghaire, leafy suburb on the south side, once known as Kingstown and for years bastion of the Unionist community in the Republic?

Actually, the rather well spoken Kelly, (loyal member of the Communist Party of Ireland) was the Sherrif Street northsider and the rasping, ahhgerruptheyaardyabollix Drew was from Dun Laoghaire. Surprised?

Here's some more: simpering "celebrity chef" Donal Skehan and greatest ever rugger bugger Brian O'Driscoll: northsiders.

Imelda May and Joe Duffy, both of whom are keeping "jewel an' darlin' Dublin" accents to the fore on the public airwaves? Southsiders. And how about the denizen of them all, the man with the strongest, most nasal and most prolific creator of spurious extra syllables into what should be a single vowel sound, the great Brian Kerr? Also a southsider. "Yer knaow wha'rrI meeyun"?

The OP makes a fundamental error by referring to "THE" Dublin accent. There is no one Dublin accent. Like many big cities it has a spectrum of accents that span, not primarily districts but social classes. At either extreme end of the spectrum, the accents are pretty horrendous.

There's the Brian Kerr example, typically found among League of Ireland football managers and heroin addicts. Whiney, nasal, awful. Then at the other end there's the "Aow moy Gawd!" accent beloved of those who go "Dine tine on the DORT from BE-E-E-ETERSTINE" but make sure to get off before the "Nwerth soide" which is even worse.

In between these two extremes, you get some accents that are actually quite pleasant on the ear. In particular the traditional "protestant" accent exhibited by many RTE personalities of yesteryear and of which the most salient example today is probably former justice minister Alan Shatter. He might talk a lot of rubbish, but he says it very nicely.

Almost nobody I know who lives in or grew up in Dublin 4 speaks like Skehan or O'Driscoll. Nor, to be fair, do too many sound like Imelda May or Brian Kerr. As befits those lucky people who live in the nicest part of town our accents tend to be civilised but not snooty, Irish but not unintelligible, and soft-spoken, not nasal.

So to reiterate: the differences between Dublin accents are more to do with class than location; rich and poor areas are to be found on either side of the river; and even those raised in poor circumstances can be found to speak in well modulated tones thanks to time spent among peers from more privileged backgrounds. At least, that's why I suspect Luke Kelly sounded as cultured as he did.

There's no such thing as a "D4 accent". Yiz are all talking out yizzer hoops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Meath is where you will find a Dublin accent these days

emeldc wrote: »
    I got a text off my daughter the other day to say she was on her way into Tesco in Finglas and overheard one young wan saying to the other;

'Shurupp you Brenda, yiv a set o' teeth on ya like a row o' burnt out gaffs'

Clearly alive and well in Finglas :)

Yeh, my dorter was in the changing rooms in the gym and this one was in the shower.

Two other ‘solth of de eeeart’ types were toweling themselves down and one of the said”Jaysus Myra, look at the thatch on yer one, looks like she was hit between the legs with a bag a sooh’!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Yeh, my dorter was in the changing rooms in the gym and this one was in the shower.

Two other ‘solth of de eeeart’ types were toweling themselves down and one of the said”Jaysus Myra, look at the thatch on yer one, looks like she was hit between the legs with a bag a sooh’!

Very weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html

Any Dubs want to take this and see what the results are? Pretty spot on for me - Caaavan

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sitting on the 40 bus right now and I can confirm the Dublin accent is not going. Or, the only accents left are the nasaly howeya accents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Go and seek out any footage on You Tube of interviews given by the two Dubliner legends Ronnie Drew and Luke Kelly and then ask yourselves: which one grew up in Sherrif Street (inner city, north side, home of the arch skanger family the Hutches) and which was from Dun Laoghaire, leafy suburb on the south side, once known as Kingstown and for years bastion of the Unionist community in the Republic?

Actually, the rather well spoken Kelly, (loyal member of the Communist Party of Ireland) was the Sherrif Street northsider and the rasping, ahhgerruptheyaardyabollix Drew was from Dun Laoghaire. Surprised?

Here's some more: simpering "celebrity chef" Donal Skehan and greatest ever rugger bugger Brian O'Driscoll: northsiders.

Imelda May and Joe Duffy, both of whom are keeping "jewel an' darlin' Dublin" accents to the fore on the public airwaves? Southsiders. And how about the denizen of them all, the man with the strongest, most nasal and most prolific creator of spurious extra syllables into what should be a single vowel sound, the great Brian Kerr? Also a southsider. "Yer knaow wha'rrI meeyun"?
    !

This is pretty much what I mean by an old style Dublin accent:

You don't really hear it much now, you have the overdone stage dub accent (as you point out Imelda and Holy Joe, but also Brush Shiels and Damien Dempsey etc etc ). I don't think the Northside/Soutside thing really applies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Well, my 4-year-old manages to make the English word 'school' into two syllables. I correct her each time and she just makes more of an elongated two syllables out of it for the craic, laughing her heart out. Two days ago as I was driving I corrected her and she took the piss out of it again, only to be followed by her 2-year-old brother in the seat next to her who is now, for the first time, making two syllables out of that word. And laughing through it all.

Feck it; I give up. She can 'done that', 'seen that' and eat 'crips' to her heart's content as seo amach.

'Done that'? 'Seen that'? Yous must be awful posh. Real Dubs say 'Dun dah', 'See-yen dah' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

antodeco wrote: »
    Sitting on the 40 bus right now and I can confirm the Dublin accent is not going. Or, the only accents left are the nasaly howeya accents

Well, get the DART to Dun Laoghaire instead and you'll think you're in California or somewhere.

antodeco wrote: »
    Sitting on the 40 bus right now

That's another thing I remember for bus numbers. If it was say 40A, it's called the 'Four o Ahhh'!

Lorelli! wrote: »
    That's another thing I remember for bus numbers. If it was say 40A, it's called the 'Four o Ahhh'!

As in:
    Ooh Aah Four o ahhh
    Say Ooh Aah Four o ahhh

.....OK I'll leave now....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nation 98

Bambi wrote: »
    The proper Dublin accent is pretty much dead, its either dortspeak now or the schweeer junkie accent

Not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nation 98 wrote: »
    Not true.

Okay.

As in:
    Ooh Aah Four o ahhh
    Say Ooh Aah Four o ahhh

.....OK I'll leave now....

:D

I will just pull out this quote as illustrative of the level of utter ignorance of many here on this topic. Pay attention, muppets, and let the real D4 educate you.

The OP makes a fundamental error by referring to "THE" Dublin accent. There is no one Dublin accent. Like many big cities it has a spectrum of accents that span, not primarily districts but social classes. At either extreme end of the spectrum, the accents are pretty horrendous.

There's the Brian Kerr example, typically found among League of Ireland football managers and heroin addicts. Whiney, nasal, awful. Then at the other end there's the "Aow moy Gawd!" accent beloved of those who go "Dine tine on the DORT from BE-E-E-ETERSTINE" but make sure to get off before the "Nwerth soide" which is even worse.

In between these two extremes, you get some accents that are actually quite pleasant on the ear. In particular the traditional "protestant" accent exhibited by many RTE personalities of yesteryear and of which the most salient example today is probably former justice minister Alan Shatter. He might talk a lot of rubbish, but he says it very nicely.

Almost nobody I know who lives in or grew up in Dublin 4 speaks like Skehan or O'Driscoll. Nor, to be fair, do too many sound like Imelda May or Brian Kerr. As befits those lucky people who live in the nicest part of town our accents tend to be civilised but not snooty, Irish but not unintelligible, and soft-spoken, not nasal.

So to reiterate: the differences between Dublin accents are more to do with class than location; rich and poor areas are to be found on either side of the river; and even those raised in poor circumstances can be found to speak in well modulated tones thanks to time spent among peers from more privileged backgrounds. At least, that's why I suspect Luke Kelly sounded as cultured as he did.

Snickers you seem to be a bit interested in the various ‘Dublin ‘ accents wonder have you noticed a ‘Sithe Dublin’ accent springing up on the airwaves?

It’s not a ‘Dort’ accent but the letter ‘e’ and ‘o’ are the giveaways.

“I am not going’ becomes “I am not gawing “
    “I was desperate’ becomes “I was dasparate “

Miriam Au Callaghan with her ‘gasts ‘ (guests) and ‘raude’(road) is a good model
    But the great Sally Hayden is the supreme commander of this accent.

I’ll try to dig up an example but would be interested to hear your views.

• Advertisement

https://cdn.rasset.ie/manifest/audio/2019/0226/20190226_rteradio1-ryantubridy-sallyhayde_c21517521_21519279_261_/manifest.m3u8

Snickers. There’s an example.

Excellent journalist, but the accent is I think quite unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'd say there's a lot of howyas around

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I love sitting in old Dublin pubs listening to the old Dub men speak their language. They have such a love of life, their pints of Guinness, their horse racing, the rolled tobacco. It's a beautiful culture

They're friendly buggers too, I've often struck up conversations with an auld Dub at the bar. They enjoy shooting the breeze with a culchie every now and then. A lot of them are big hurling men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Don’t be so thin-skinned. All I said is that the ‘salt o da erth’ Dublin accent is a noise that can be irritating at best, and downright offensive at worst. It’s an accent that gives impression of John Player Blue, a day ‘in da boooookeees’, battering the wife, Ray and chips for dinner, racing pigeons, and never having worked a day in your life.

The Cork and Kerry accent would like to have a word.

Bambi wrote: »
    This is pretty much what I mean by an old style Dublin accent:

That is indeed a fine example of "AN old style Dublin accent" with the emphasis on the indefinite article. :)

Another fine example of A Dublin accent from older times was that of former Taoiseach Garret Fitzgerald. His was a lot more well to do than this gentleman but it was still a long way from the mangled diphthongs of today's bright (and rich) young things.

Accents change over time. The cheerful Cockney accent of 70-100 years ago is a lot different from the Ali G style accent popular with a lot of younger people in today's Greater London.

I don't think the Northside/Soutside thing really applies

I think you're 100% right there.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

I live in Dublin and have never spent more than a holiday in the bog. I'd be surprised if our country cousins valued intellectual conversation more than Dubliners. The Irish in general seem to revel in ignorance, thinking it makes them "authentic" and "down to earth".

How often do you hear someone brag about how "down to earth" they are and that they have no "airs and graces". To me that always translates as "I am a thick f*cking peasant and proud of it. Don't be usin' any big words with me ye fuc*in' snob ye"

A bit harsh, a bit bitter. Yes - there's an element that relishes ignorance - and that can be skanger or culchie. But in my experience, we're not THAT bad. Go to parts of England, or America, and then you'll find 'insular' and 'ignorant', even amongst the wealthier segments of the population.

By and large, most Irish people I interact with and speak with express a curiosity and an interest in the wider world. The 'I love to be ignorant' element is disappearing rapidly because communication flows faster, literacy, numeracy and education has vastly improved, and its no longer a viable life choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I love sitting in old Dublin pubs listening to the old Dub men speak their language. They have such a love of life, their pints of Guinness, their horse racing, the rolled tobacco. It's a beautiful culture

They're friendly buggers too, I've often struck up conversations with an auld Dub at the bar. They enjoy shooting the breeze with a culchie every now and then. A lot of them are big hurling men.

The people you describe are God's own for sure.

But I'm alarmed that we may be seeing (and hearing) the last of them.

The issue is a broader than Dublin though. In Limerick, the Irish urban area I'm most familiar with myself, the same dreadful dynamic plays out. The old 'r'-rolling melodious accent is going. A new orcish ear-ripping skanger whine has been on the rise for some decades now. Along with the accents - something else is disappearing. A physical toughness, a simple manliness, a patience, a happiness with little, a disregard for status, a sense of humour, a slowness to panic, a self-sufficiency - all evaporating slowly but steadily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

In Cork some kids are calling sweets “candies,” and car parks “parking lots.” American culture has a huge influence over here. Not unusual to hear kids calling the guards “police” either. Irish culture is being watered down dramatically. Maybe it’s a middle class or upper class thing. As others have said working class areas are more likely to have the traditional accent of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

KevinCavan wrote: »
    In Cork some kids are calling sweets “candies,” and car parks “parking lots.” American culture has a huge influence over here. Not unusual to hear kids calling the guards “police” either. Irish culture is being watered down dramatically. Maybe it’s a middle class or upper class thing. As others have said working class areas are more likely to have the traditional accent of the area.

Cork people still sound like cork people, don’t worry about that. There’s also a difference between picking up American words - we’ve been doing that for a century - and a changed accent. And the “guards” are the police force of Ireland. I’ve used both terms for years. I use cops as well - and that’s American for sure. Police is standard English.

There is a bit of a vocal fry appearing in some south Dublin accents, and the raised question intonation in what’s not a question, but it’s not that common.

What’s in fact happening is many accents are getting rougher as others have opined here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I love the old Dublin accent.
    I would have it a thousand times before that fake D4 stuff you here from wannabees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

i wonder what percentage of people living in dublin are actually orginally from dublin at this stage... half the country must have moved here for work

Was always like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Most young children and teens nowadays in Ireland had yank accents

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Some years back a bunch of tracksuited teenagers bantering among themselves overtook me on Westmoreland St, I'd almost swear the loudest one had his vocal chords surgically removed from his throat to behind the bridge of his nose, I can't remotely imitate it no matter what I do with my nose, mouth, tongue or throat which it why it intrigues me so much, plus why do they put on so thickly?

Interesting about that Peppa Pig thing, someone said to me once they moved back to Ireland because they didn't want their child to have an English accent, like all his son's Irishness was going to be expunged at birth by random geographical location.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough not to have to spend a lot of time in Dublin. The accents and general maudlin attitude down in the capital is totally at odds with my own beliefs. For example I have never watched X Factor or ordered a takeaway meal, nor have I cried at any melodramas starring Ryan Gosling.

There is an element of anti-intellectualism and propensity for sentimentality among the populace of Dublin that I think the rather more stoic citizenry of "de country" are fortunate for not sharing and I dread any day I have to go down to the capital.

My son is in college down there though and he loves it. So who knows.

So Dubs are sentimental, anti-intellectual Gosling fans. Or a sufficient element of them are to have you dreading visiting the place.

Probably best if you stay where you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

The scary thing is the accents mentioned mightn’t be “put on.” Children are growing up with I-pads in their hands watching American Youtubers.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

dd973 wrote: »
    Some years back a bunch of tracksuited teenagers bantering among themselves overtook me on Westmoreland St, I'd almost swear the loudest one had his vocal chords surgically removed from his throat to behind the bridge of his nose, I can't remotely imitate it no matter what I do with my nose, mouth, tongue or throat which it why it intrigues me so much, plus why do they put on so thickly?

Interesting about that Peppa Pig thing, someone said to me once they moved back to Ireland because they didn't want their child to have an English accent, like all his son's Irishness was going to be expunged at birth by random geographical location.

The very type that brings out the extreme right wing side of my persona. I'd happily have them rounded up and put to work on Luas line construction - Burma Siam style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why does Dubs have such stupid ear-killing accents?

So blind people can hate them too...

KevinCavan wrote: »
    The scary thing is the accents mentioned mightn’t be “put on.” Children are growing up with I-pads in their hands watching American Youtubers.
    I think it's a lot less conscious than most people believe, alright.

I've been told I have a Dublin accent, despite the fact I still believe I sound like a culchie. I hate being characterised like one of those people from Cavan who arrive in UCD and, by Freshers week, are speaking like they've lived in Mount Merrion their whole lives (I'm not that bad).

But it does happen, subconsciously. Even after travelling with a Corkonian friend for a few weeks, I could hear the west cork lilt creeping into my voice.

You'd have to be very immature and/or insecure to deliberately alter your accent these days. In fact, I love the accent of my home place. But changes will creep in, depending on where your friends are from, and the media you consume etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Argh heeeear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

So Dubs are sentimental, anti-intellectual Gosling fans. Or a sufficient element of them are to have you dreading visiting the place.

Probably best if you stay where you are.
    I'm very happy to stay here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I'm very happy to stay here.

Where is here by the way? We’re at a disadvantage, you attack Dublin but we don’t know where this powerhouse of intellectual achievement that is the village you live in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement