Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Dublin accent dying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Snickers you seem to be a bit interested in the various ‘Dublin ‘ accents wonder have you noticed a ‘Sithe Dublin’ accent springing up on the airwaves?

It’s not a ‘Dort’ accent but the letter ‘e’ and ‘o’ are the giveaways.

“I am not going’ becomes “I am not gawing “
    “I was desperate’ becomes “I was dasparate “

Miriam Au Callaghan with her ‘gasts ‘ (guests) and ‘raude’(road) is a good model
    But the great Sally Hayden is the supreme commander of this accent.

I’ll try to dig up an example but would be interested to hear your views.

Rathgar meets Sloane Square.

That's actually an accent very particular to the alumni of Alexanda College in Milltown, where both Miriam & Rachel Allen were educated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yamanoto wrote: »

That's actually an accent very particular to the alumni of Alexanda College in Milltown, where both Miriam & Rachel Allen were educated.

Interesting. As children do pick up accents from peers not parents that makes sense. The U.K. posh accent depends to a large extent on schools as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yamanoto wrote: »

Yasss, you are corract.

The 'e' is pronounced as 'a' in all cases.

Varry interasting...... check it out.... It's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Interesting. As children do pick up accents from peers not parents that makes sense. The U.K. posh accent depends to a large extent on schools as well.

I have a little niece in England . Both parents are Irish and Mum was at home until she was 18mts . Within weeks of her going to creche her accent changed and now at 3 is a pure London accent !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Where is here by the way? We’re at a disadvantage, you attack Dublin but we don’t know where this powerhouse of intellectual achievement that is the village you live in.
    Another mistake, another edit. Think before you post, good man. :rolleyes:

This thread is about Dublin so I posted about Dublin, sharing my observations and speaking generally. Of course, I will not be sharing my address in a public forum nor will I rise to any emotive attempts to "attack" me. It's up to you not to take my comments personally.

Woke Hogan wrote: »

This thread is about Dublin so I posted about Dublin, sharing my observations and speaking generally. Of course, I will not be sharing my address in a public forum nor will I rise to any emotive attempts to "attack" me. It's up to you not to take my comments personally.

Good call Hogan.. Now can we damp this stuff down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Not much of that legendary (or nonexistent) Dublin wit and humour on show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

I'm lucky enough not to have to spend a lot of time in Dublin. The accents and general maudlin attitude down in the capital is totally at odds with my own beliefs. For example I have never watched X Factor or ordered a takeaway meal, nor have I cried at any melodramas starring Ryan Gosling.

There is an element of anti-intellectualism and propensity for sentimentality among the populace of Dublin that I think the rather more stoic citizenry of "de country" are fortunate for not sharing and I dread any day I have to go down to the capital.

My son is in college down there though and he loves it. So who knows.

Without electricity or broadband it would be hard for you to order food and presumably you dont have a TV either.

You country folk get ur entertainment chasing your pigs around in the parlour. A country intellectual is someone who reads the farmers journal?

Its my field

Ashamed of your area. Understandable.

• Advertisement

Ashamed of your area. Understandable.

How would he be ashamed of his area? The dude just doesn’t want to publish where he lives on a busy public forum. Very understandable. I think you might need to ‘take a chill pill’.

People tend to find the ‘Heffo’s Army’ style of accent to be obnoxious and unpleasant on the ear. Some jackeens then mistakenly believe they are funny guys, and try so hard to be funny while delivering their crass and base ‘humour’ in that accent. Monumental pain in the hole those sorts are - think a short stumpy lad in his mid-50’s wearing a tracksuit bottom, white runners, and a Manchester United jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

It's unfortunate that Dublin is the point of disembarkation for most tourists visiting this country. There must be many continental Europeans that return to France or Sweden with the opinion that your average Irishman is some loud brash lad with an accent like air escaping from a tire. Wondering why all the Irish he met insisted on speaking through their nose and braying loudly in pubs. Laughing at their own god awful jokes. Wheh Wheh Wheh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's called evolution

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Noesnot, ****in egit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Everytime I hear a muck savage or blow in rubbish Dublin makes me wonder what's ****ing keeping yous here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'll take my scumbag Dublin accent over a Cavan or Cork accent any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You'd hear a lot of them at water meter installations years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I'll take my scumbag Dublin accent over a Cavan or Cork accent any day.

Good job, cos nobody else will.

branie2 wrote: »

For sure, big fcuking Dublin fire brigade heads on them, up at 6 am for the first time in their lives, throwing shapes in case ‘ the man’ got the spongs on the record.Couldnt have that pal, nau waaay man.

Shuffle off down to the welfare office in the afternoon, before hitting the cot full of cheap beer and swamping the mattress.

Stults of the highest order..wasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://youtu.be/fQobhG6PORA

A very pleasant Dublin accent.

For sure, big fcuking Dublin fire brigade heads on them, up at 6 am for the first time in their lives, throwing shapes in case ‘ the man’ got the spongs on the record.Couldnt have that pal, nau waaay man.

Shuffle off down to the welfare office in the afternoon, before hitting the cot full of cheap beer and swamping the mattress.

'The man' being a Garda, I'd presume?

• Advertisement

'The man' being a Garda, I'd presume?

No.... Ashtown Gate.

That brings back a memory, Brendan. Took a chance in hiring a stumpy little Dub with a tash during the recession. Fûcker would sleep on the floor if there was work in the bed, but I’m soft enough and kept him on for a few weeks.

The fella rings me one morning going, ‘Sorreee Boss, won’t be in this morrrnin’, me laringitus is killin’ me’. Was suspicious but said nothing.

I was in the barbers later on that evening and picked up a copy of the Evening Herald. Who was on page 3 only your man with a bunch of other red-faced Storeee Buds in yellow jackets at some water meter protest. Whitehall Against Water Meters or something.

Gave the fûcker the boot the next morning, and now only hire Lithuanians and Poles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

They should show The Snapper on the telly every evening until the problem is gone

jpfahy wrote: »
    They should show The Snapper on the telly every evening until the problem is gone

Sharon's havin contraptions Da

Red aler'! Red aler'!

That brings back a memory, Brendan. Took a chance in hiring a stumpy little Dub with a tash during the recession. Fûcker would sleep on the floor if there was work in the bed, but I’m soft enough and kept him on for a few weeks.

The fella rings me one morning going, ‘Sorreee Boss, won’t be in this morrrnin’, me laringitus is killin’ me’. Was suspicious but said nothing.

I was in the barbers later on that evening and picked up a copy of the Evening Herald. Who was on page 3 only your man with a bunch of other red-faced Storeee Buds in yellow jackets at some water meter protest. Whitehall Against Water Meters or something.

Gave the fûcker the boot the next morning, and now only hire Lithuanians and Poles.

John , you learned the hard way.

You see, here’s the deal.

What the auld doob wants is a soft job to get a base.The base is the important bit.

Any state job where you can’t be sacked will do, An Post, County council, Dail usher, hospital porter ...you know yourself.

Once bedded in there the Auld Doob will ride the place ragged, work like fuhhrke below the radar on the ‘other job’ but do fcuk all in the real job.

John, you don’t need me to tell you what’s going on, guys running bouncy castle companies, doing security, events, the lot, while the the base job provides the safety net.

John,then they are there at every march and protest waving placards and roaring and shouting.

You couldn’t make it up, mate.

Monumental pain in the hole those sorts are - think a short stumpy lad in his mid-50’s wearing a tracksuit bottom, white runners, and a Manchester United jacket.

That’s my mental image of you.

Most of your caricature of the mid fifties saddo on the prowl (well written takedown of that kind of sad loser by way) is written in Dublinese. I literally hear a strong Dublin accent when you post.

I suppose it’s just an internet character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Good job, cos nobody else will.

Just as well, I'm rather attached to it :)

Most of your caricature of the mid fifties saddo on the prowl (well written takedown of that kind of sad loser by way) is written in Dublinese. I literally hear a strong Dublin accent when you post.

That reminds me, isn’t Brian Lally doing Country Time on RTE radio tonight:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

And they saved you paying water charges!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It must be a sight for sore eyes with you up on your soap box ranting and raving to a load of Polish and Lithuanians .
    Can they make any sense of the bollix you spout ?

Something out of a cartoon, that strains at the seams with pithy innuendo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's unfortunate that Dublin is the point of disembarkation for most tourists visiting this country. There must be many continental Europeans that return to France or Sweden with the opinion that your average Irishman is some loud brash lad with an accent like air escaping from a tire. Wondering why all the Irish he met insisted on speaking through their nose and braying loudly in pubs. Laughing at their own god awful jokes. Wheh Wheh Wheh.

Interesting choice of username.

And they saved you paying water charges!

I'm sure some people would have been willing to pay the charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    And what wonderful accent do you speak with? Go on, give us a laugh
    mariaalice wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/fQobhG6PORA

A very pleasant Dublin accent.
    Why was W Axl Rose and Lord Lucan beeb'd out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Inshallah it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

People tend to find the ‘Heffo’s Army’ style of accent to be obnoxious and unpleasant on the ear. Some jackeens then mistakenly believe they are funny guys, and try so hard to be funny while delivering their crass and base ‘humour’ in that accent. Monumental pain in the hole those sorts are - think a short stumpy lad in his mid-50’s wearing a tracksuit bottom, white runners, and a Manchester United jacket.

Was in a pub in Liverpool and there were a bunch of these cretins that you described all roaring at each other interspersed with exaggerated laughter, it was so unintelligible that I initially took them for mad Scousers, when I twigged they were Cliche Dubs I felt embarrassed to be Irish, scummy c---ts they were, not the gangland types but just fookin odious anyway, certainly wasn't going over to strike up conversation with them.

Why do these people spend their whole lives jerking off about coming from somewhere?, also couldn't work out why a bunch of blokes all virtually sat on each other's laps proximity wise were all screaming and shouting their inane bantz either.

dd973 wrote: »
    Was in a pub in Liverpool and there were a bunch of these cretins that you described all roaring at each other interspersed with exaggerated laughter, it was so unintelligible that I initially took them for mad Scousers, when I twigged they were Cliche Dubs I felt embarrassed to be Irish, scummy c---ts they were, not the gangland types but just fookin odious anyway, certainly wasn't going over to strike up conversation with them.

Why do these people spend their whole lives jerking off about coming from somewhere?, also couldn't work out why a bunch of blokes all virtually sat on each other's laps proximity wise were all screaming and shouting their inane bantz either.

Imagine that !
    People enjoying themselves in a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Reptilia10

Yes. You still get it in tough areas, but among middle class Dubs there has developed an awful hybrid American-D4 accent. I blame the proliferation of American tv programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Was at a stag in Killkenny recently and in one pub there was a swarm of dub scummers shouting and roaring at each other in their best (Ah here...) Conor McGregor accents. Ah here where's Johnno, ah here i dunno ah here..... ah here. Bit annoying but we laughed. Bless em. Not the worst lads.

But to be fair i'd rather be exposed to the inner city dub accent than the fake american twang i'm hearing a lot these days in the Irish under 25 demographic. What's that about? Every second word is 'sure' or 'right' in a clearly american accent.

Mom
    Sneakers (Shoes / runners)
    Soda (Lemonade / fizzy beverage)
    Mall
    Bangs (something to do with hair)

If your Irish and you've never been to the US and you're saying any of those ^ words just Fuk off. Stop it.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm lucky enough not to have to spend a lot of time in Dublin. The accents and general maudlin attitude down in the capital is totally at odds with my own beliefs. For example I have never watched X Factor or ordered a takeaway meal, nor have I cried at any melodramas starring Ryan Gosling.

There is an element of anti-intellectualism and propensity for sentimentality among the populace of Dublin that I think the rather more stoic citizenry of "de country" are fortunate for not sharing and I dread any day I have to go down to the capital.

My son is in college down there though and he loves it. So who knows.

The city that gave us Oscar Wilde, Brendan Behan and James Joyce is a bastion of anti-intellectualism?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The city that gave us Oscar Wilde, Brendan Behan and James Joyce is a bastion of anti-intellectualism?

Dont forget Samuel Beckett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Dont forget Samuel Beckett

What's a bridge got to do with this ?

I mean it's a nice bridge and all but still !!!

The great Sally Hayden was on world report this am just before sorry beefoe er
    0830 this am.

What an amazing accent........raffugees in bauts

I’d love to get hersalf, Meeriam, and Dalla Kilroy into the same studio... The microphaunes would surely mallt.

Great journalists though.... of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Infonovice

I noticed a lot of the kids speaking with an american twang, are kids that come from non national parents.
    They must have learnt american english before coming over here.

I have Polish friends aswell who have been here a long time and they are the same. American twang with a now Dublin accent too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It’s amazing how personally people from Dublin are taking the observations in this thread. I wonder if the curriculum is different in the capital to encourage feelings over thinking.

It’s amazing how personally people from Dublin are taking the observations in this thread. I wonder if the curriculum is different in the capital to encourage feelings over thinking.

I just find it hilarious that anyone would think there is a generic Dublin accent !! It varies hugely from one spot to another !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

More the deluded statements that a "scanger" accent is a dublin accent. There are many varieties of dublin accents.

I mean it like me asking you did you drive your Massey Ferguson to work because you're not from dublin. Generally you can judge a place by whether people want to move to or from it. Based on this Dublin is an attractive place. Anyway go out and check on the cattle , the weathers pretty poor out there.

It's also pretty impressive the amount of milage yourself and one or two others are getting out it.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I just find it hilarious that anyone would think there is a generic Dublin accent !! It varies hugely from one spot to another !

Give us some examples dude.

Like the short vowel popular in the Finglas area.

Where ‘Seán’ is pronounced ‘Shon’ and over ‘there’ is pronounced ‘theeeere’

Over to you dude I’m off to Telllerife(Tenerife) for me hollydays.

Let’s hear from you ,dude.

• Advertisement
Advertisement