Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Dublin accent dying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Omackeral wrote: »
    I think you'll find that a) his points were countered and b) they're GIFs, not funny pictures Grandad.

Agist as well. I may be fifty eight years of age but that doesn’t give you licence to mock my age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Countered my royal Irish ass.

Just because you never heard something, dude, doesn’t mean nobody else heard it.

Next you will be trying to tell us you never heard of ‘Phibsboro’ being pronounced ‘phizzboro’ or ‘Chapelizod’ pronounced ‘Chapelizard’

Would you go way out of that buddy.

No such place called Phibsboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

chosen1 wrote: »
    Speaking as a culchie here, your posts are embarrassing.

In what way, pal?
    I have never in my life heard a Dub rhyme Spurs or Dub with boot or tool etc.

Wouldn't be the greatest fan of some Dublin accents but the same can be said of extreme accents in numerous parts of our country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No such place called Phibsboro.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phibsborough

chosen1 wrote: »
    I have never in my life heard a Dub rhyme Spurs or Dub with boot or tool etc.

Wouldn't be the greatest fan of some Dublin accents but the same can be said of extreme accents in numerous parts of our country.

Neither did I, my friend

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Countered my royal Irish ass.

Just because you never heard something, dude, doesn’t mean nobody else heard it.

Countered, yes. Nobody else seems to have heard it. Surely stands to reason that if I'm from and work in working class Dublin then I'll most likely have heard it.
    Next you will be trying to tell us you never heard of ‘Phibsboro’ being pronounced ‘phizzboro’ or ‘Chapelizod’ pronounced ‘Chapelizard’

No not at all because I've heard both of those things and they're part of the vernacular is some instances. Weak debate tactic that. Have heard both of them. Sure Phibsborough has an event called Phizzfest most likely because of this. The Chapelizard thing is very well known. Tellerife? Nah

Countered, yes. Nobody else seems to have heard it. Surely stands to reason that if I'm from and work in working class Dublin then I'll most likely have heard it.

No not at all because I've heard both of those things and they're part of the vernacular is some instances. Weak debate tactic that. Have heard both of them. Sure Phibsborough has an event called Phizzfest most likely because of this. The Chapelizard thing is very well known. Tellerife? Nah

Apologise for mocking my age earlier. I have worked too hard and raised two children not to have my age made fun of by scuts like you.

Next thing you will be saying you never heard of Dubs flying to ‘Lisburn’ when they were going to ‘Lisbon’ or that they saw ‘David Ferrity’ on the golf channel when it was ‘David Feherty’.

Would you get up the yard, mate.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Apologise for mocking my age earlier. I have worked too hard and raised two children not to have my age made fun of by scuts like you.

That's gonna be a 'no' from me Dawg.

• Advertisement

Working class people from Dublin love caterwauling about how working class they are, like it gives them some sort of credibility for being from the mean streets. Many of them lack the down to earth practicality of their country cousins, though. Blowing their money on brand new cars every year and going on tacky package holidays in Man United jerseys.

Next thing you will be saying you never heard of Dubs flying to ‘Lisburn’ when they were going to ‘Lisbon’ or that they saw ‘David Ferrity’ on the golf channel when it was ‘David Feherty’.

Would you get up the yard, mate.

Why are you making up these scenarios in your head? It's weird.

This style of ''next thing you're gonna say is...'' is absolutely so wide of the mark it's surreal. I literally just responded to your Phibsborough and Chapelizod examples and you didn't acknowledge that but keep on going with these other things you're thinking up for some reason. I'm countering examples you've given already. Not anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Working class people from Dublin love caterwauling about how working class they are, like it gives them some sort of credibility for being from the mean streets. Many of them lack the down to earth practicality of their country cousins, though. Blowing their money on brand new cars every year and going on tacky package holidays in Man United jerseys.

Know the sort. Love telling you how they grew up on Sherrif Street or in the Ballymun Flats, but did ok, didn’t become a junkie, got a job etc. Or that they were the first from their area to go to university. Real mawkish stuff. Like they want a medal or something as they had it tougher than anyone ever before in the history of humanity.

Well... be better if they fronted up and debated properly instead of insulting genuine folk like yourself.

They seem to have a reality problem as you rightly point out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Flipping hope it is lol

You cry about ageism and stereotyping but have no bother tarring a whole bracket of people yourself. Hypocritical.

FWIW, I drive a 2005 Focus, went to Iceland last month and think Irish people fawning over United and Liverpool is ridiculous.

Why are you making up these scenarios in your head? It's weird.

This style of ''next thing you're gonna say is...'' is absolutely so wide of the mark it's surreal. I literally just responded to your Phibsborough and Chapelizod examples and you didn't acknowledge that but keep on going with these other things you're thinking up for some reason. I'm countering examples you've given already. Not anything else.

Is it true or is it not, that is the question, my friend.

You keep waffling with no substance.

Well... be better if they fronted up and debated properly instead of insulting genuine folk like yourself.

They seem to have a reality problem as you rightly point out.

They are utterly classless. Personal insults and attempts to rile people up rather than engaging in discussion.

They are utterly classless. Personal insults and attempts to rile people up rather than engaging in discussion.

Correct Woke, time to give this thread a miss for a while

These dudes are just trying to rise things,

Bye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Bye bye :)

Is it true or is it not, that is the question, my friend.

You keep waffling with no substance.

The pair of you must lack comprehension skills or else are just ripping the piss

. Every point made by both of you has been countered. Hogan, you write off swathes of people but complain that someone called you ''Grandad'' in a tongue-in-cheek fashion. Here's a little thing you should know; not everybody knows how old you are and the instance in which that was said was irrelevant to it anyway. Very precious looking for an apology.

Bye , have a nice night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Heard a kid say "he thrun me bag out the bus window" a while ago. Classic Dublinese. :D

You’re dead right. I will go for a run, be the bigger man instead of rising to childish personal insults.

Note for people from Dublin: tracksuits are used for exercise outside of the capital, as opposed to formal wear.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Heard a kids say "he thrun me bag out the bus window"a while ago classic Dublinese. :D

I wonder if his teacher learned him that.

You’re dead right. I will go for a run, be the bigger man instead of rising to childish personal insults.

Note for people from Dublin: tracksuits are used for exercise outside of the capital, as opposed to formal wear.

Hypocrite. I suppose you're from a different time though... :pac::pac::pac:

The pair of you must lack comprehension skills or else are just ripping the piss

. Every point made by both of you has been countered. Hogan, you write off swathes of people but complain that someone called you ''Grandad'' in a tongue-in-cheek fashion. Here's a little thing you should know; not everybody knows how old you are and the instance in which that was said was irrelevant to it anyway. Very precious looking for an apology.

Excuse me but I was only speaking generally, making my observations about people from Dublin known. I have never resorted to the kind of personal attacks people have made against me in this thread.

I wonde if his teache leaned him that.

Fyp. Don't forget, we don't use the letter R in Dooooooooblin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

What's with all this talk about the Dublin population been celebrity obsessed and uncultured riff raff?

You'd swear that the average rural farmer was listening to Wagner and debating Existentialism after a day plowing the fields.

Would that be like Wellington Boots ? They're used for work-wear as well as formal wear outside Dublin.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Fyp. Don't forget, we don't use the letter R in Dooooooooblin.

Gerrup ourra dat we do!

Gerrup ourra dat we do!

Shurrup yew ye tick.

The pic of the chihuahua is perfect for that line.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

MOD

Keep it civil please folks and stay on topic.

Agist as well. I may be fifty eight years of age but that doesn’t give you licence to mock my age.

Yet you posted this earlier on;
    Playing the victim. Feelings first.

Describes you perfectly :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Heard a kid say "he thrun me bag out the bus window" a while ago. Classic Dublinese. :D

Ah here the child was wrong its
    " i thrun me bag owada bus winda "

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Ah here the child was wrong its
    " i thrun me bag owada bus winda "

''onto the ro-wid.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

''onto the ro-wid.''

In Chapalizard

The South Dublin accent isn’t so bad. It definitely sounds more refined and classy than the northern equivalent. Reaping the benefits of placing an emphasis on education.

The South Dublin accent isn’t so bad. It definitely sounds more refined and classy than the northern equivalent. Reaping the benefits of placing an emphasis on education.

If you knew your capital you'd know the South/North divide is no longer relevant. The big socio-economic divide is East/West now as coastal property prices have risen.

The various Dublin accent's aren't dying. Some of the "posh" Bob Geldof ones aren't new either, they've been around as long as the inner city accent.

The "mid-Altantic" accent is found all over the country along with the UK terms like nonce, prat and numpty you see so often on this site typed out by Irish people.

• Advertisement

That was a short run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Do some culchies get all their ideas about Dublin from Fair City?

Gas thread.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Do some culchies get all their ideas about Dublin from Fair City?

Gas thread.

A lot of it's from Fair City, bar-stool talk and the odd trip to Croker. Some of my rural inlaws at my wedding were surprised that none of my family had distinct inner city accents! The ones that didn't travel around Ireland much assumed we'd be "their" preconceived typical idea of a Dublin person.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

“An’ all an’ anyways” has to be my favourite Dublinism.

“An’ all an’ anyways” has to be my favourite Dublinism.

Ha! And don't forget "your ma", two small single syllable words that wins all arguments hands down. :)

"What's that smell?"

"Your ma"

Ha! And don't forget "your ma", two small single syllable words that wins all arguments hands down. :)

"What's that smell?"

"Your ma"

Has to be pronounced correctly though.

Yer maaaa

/End thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Would that be like Wellington Boots ? They're used for work-wear as well as formal wear outside Dublin.

I know a guy who went to a night club on New year's Eve with his jeans outside the wellies.

No one batted an eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Infonovice

thread gave me an aul giggle there:pac:

doesn't Johnny, Brendan, Paddy & Mr/Mrs Hogan all sound like a nice tight little click there.

so tight they are like four open tabs all beside one another..

Infonovice wrote: »
    thread gave me an aul giggle there:pac:

doesn't Johnny, Brendan, Paddy & Mr/Mrs Hogan all sound like a nice tight little click there.

so tight they are like four open tabs all beside one another..

Good clean fun Info, that’s whats it’s all about.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Good clean fun Info, that’s whats it’s all about.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Glad yer ma enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement