Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Thought I'd post here with my experiences after 2 months of ownership and 4k on the clock.

Like other posters above at the minute I'm underwhelmed with the Aurora Blue given that it cost a premium However, the day I took delivery was a bright sunny day so from experience I know it really does stand out in good weather - although there's not much of that about.

The ambient internal lighting is also underwhelming (I came from a current model Leon FR plus where it's outstanding) but I don't really notice it either way at this stage I'm so used to it.

Other niggles include having to OK the settings every time I get in even though I'm the only driver and having to set my preferred style to 'Performance' each time too as it resets to 'Comfort' each time. In the Leon it remembered this. If anyone knows how to keep it set I'd appreciate the tip. Having to turn off lane assist each time is not peculiar to this car, I believe it's a NCAP rating matter. Some cars don't even allow it to be switched off at any point.

The big one for me was after 3 weeks of ownership when the door of the charging port locked itself. I located the manual switch (open boot, see plastic button down to the right, twist 90 degrees either way and push material in - switch is the yellow loop, pull it down). In my case this didn't budge it so I had to go to the dealers who broke the lock and ordered a replacement part. So I was driving a 3 week old car around for 7 days with duck tape holding the door shut while waiting for the new part 🙄. Mine was (at least) the 2nd car this had happened to and apparently it's not unheard of in the ID.3. On the plus side it's a known fault now and the dealer replaced the part in 45 minutes while I waited. Presumably the part is now held in stock too. I didn't post this one here before now because like some other posters I didn't really want to start putting up negativity at the time as most hadn't even got their cars yet. Didn't seem right somehow.

To get my Nextbase dashcam working I ordered a 5m cable online (about €11 posted from Ireland) and fed it down and under the passenger seat and out to the USB-C ports in the centre console where I used a USB-C adapter I already had to connect it. All works well. I know some are hardwiring via the fuse box but that wasn't for me.

One question:

Is it possible to show the odometer in the cockpit while driving? No matter what fiddling about I do I can't set that?

On the whole I'm very happy with the Born. It being a new model I expected bugs and it appears it's nothing like as bad as the ID.3 is for them. I find it a very comfortable and enjoyable car to drive and it's even still turning heads. I was told in a car park in Arklow last week that 'it looks like a transformer' - I'll take that.

Is it possible to show the odometer in the cockpit while driving? No matter what fiddling about I do I can't set that?

Turn off the cruise control, I believe. Same as your Leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

I don't think you can display the odometer on the small screen behind the wheel, only via the Long Term info on the Driving Data display on the main screen. Annoying that the user settings are not saved each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Izzy77

At last! Loving the car but what I'm the name of god is the story with the steering wheel volume control?? Am I totally stupid as it doesn't work for me..it may or may not respond and even then it's only maybe by one increment? I have to use the sliders on the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Congrats on collection. I think you are the last here waiting on one this year.

Steering wheel you have to kind of swipe on the volume for +/- and not just press them. It is pretty annoying but you get used to them.

• Advertisement

Ah I see! I'll try that. I wasn't able to give my full attention driving down home and was probably battering them a bit alright! Lovely drive home..

I was very sure about the change by the time I got to the dealer - diesel is mental again.

It's such a lovely car inside too. Very happy.. oh after all my giving out, the wheels are a lot nicer than I had anticipated 🙂

Thanks for your help!

What colour did you go for? I'm pretty sure you said many pages back but really this is just a hint for a photo 😉

Yeah standard 18s are fine once you have them and you won't be seeing many Borns around for a while with the upgraded wheels so nothing to compare against for next few months anyway. Those sliders under the screen aren't lit at night so they're not going to be great considering it will be dark for a lot of driving now. There's another way within the screen too but the steering wheel is the easiest way. You'll catch those steering wheel buttons accidentally too at the start, I did anyway but not so much now.

Best of luck, we all seem to be reasonably happy and everyone that has seen my car is impressed

Well I'm an idiot!! My 10 year old just told me how to work the volume on the steering wheel. You were quite right in your directions Buddybubs. Its me that needs to be reprogrammed!

Quasar grey. Very very happy with it. Mind you there was a fab aurora blue there for college too. It's really lovely. Still love that colour.

Luckily I'm used to a lot of the controls and the way around the different screens from my old car. That keyboard noise will have to be deactivated forthwith though.. I'll have a right look at everything later without little hands tryin to help!

I shall try to remember to put a picture up sy_flembeck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Ok so this has been bugging us while driving. For cruise control when increasing/decreasing how do you do in smaller increments than 10?

Set or res button on steering wheel Will go up in single increments. Did today anyway!

Apologies another newbie question..a problem which I thought I had sorted but has returned..when I unlock the car, no front or rear lights are coming on. They were - sporadically- but aren't anymore. The only lights on are the puddle and door lights. I was used to the lights in the Leon, especially coming out early in the morning on early starts. Anyone have this problem? I was very underwhelmed earlier expecting the lovely light animation they're so proud of and then... nothing 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There should be a coming home/leaving home settings in the car settings on the page with the exterior lighting? Lights must also be on auto.

If you haven't already, change your auto headlights to come on early, this may be stopping them working depending time of day.

Thanks a million. Think I'm sorted..I was like a bold child last night when they wouldn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Done my first long trip in my Cupra Born , Dublin - Donegal 283km , charged to 100% range showed 410km , arrived with 110km left.

very happy with that , found the drive very comfortable and so far delighted with the car .

First sunny day I recall since I collected the car....washed it and took a few pics. Have to say it does look well in the sun

What speeds were you doing? I did mainly motorway spin Dublin to Longford about 45 mins motorway at 120/130 or so then 25 mins at 90/100. My only long spin to date.

210 kms I think and I was left with just over 100.

The Aurora blue is stunning. Looks really well with the copper accents. I still love it. Next time! This is the quasar grey. Must say I was really pleased when I picked it up.

That's lovely too. For some reason I thought you were getting the vapor grey.

• Advertisement

Vapour grey was available but I preferred this colour so went with this. It looks good with the cyclone wheels too. It's a shame we can't get internet radio like the IDs without having to purchase data unless there's another's way around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I’m crunching the numbers on finance right now. If anyone has picked up a 58kwh non-E boost on a PCP recently, what GMFV did they get?

At the old price it was €17,500. Probably wouldn't be too far off that with the updated pricing recently.

Just keep in mind the finance numbers are slightly off as they can't do VRT relief until it's in the dealer.

I was quoted €440p/m on a €48,500 car before grants (13,500 trade-in plus 5,000 grant for deposit) and when it arrived it was €337p/m as there was €3,000 VRT relief for my spec.

Dublin to ardee exit i was doing 110 aprox , ardee to falcarragh anywhere from 100 to 60 traffic was heavy

Are there heated wing mirrors on the v1 version? I can't find anything in menu for it anyway....about the only thing I miss so far from my old car if there isn't.

Also, really enjoyed using the adaptive cruise on the m4/n4 in slow moving and occasionally stop start traffic this morning. Just let the car do the work I kept it straight and kept my eyes open and that was it. Never had ACC before

If you have the icon on the lower right you'll have heated mirrors.

Thanks Davey, I am a dope, I never even though of looking there since everything else is in the screen. I do have heated mirrors so. So obvious when told!

Havent touched the windows/mirror controls since 1st day I got it

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Anyone getting a message saying "New settings are now available for your user account. Do you want to apply them?" (or something to that effect)?

It keeps reappearing even if I press cancel...

• Advertisement

Yep and I did accept the new settings once and it set my screen setup back to default and I had to sort them again.

I haven't got the message since then mind you but it was coming up every time I got into the car.

Advertisement