Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The new settings screen will show up a few times then go away for a few weeks. If you accept them then some of your settings reset, like ambient lighting. From what I can tell, drive profile, reverse mirror down etc all stay though so not a huge pain. A fix has been recently confirmed but it's in a control module and will need to be updated at a dealer so I'd say keep the car a while and see if there's any small issues here and there and go in. One of my passenger speakers has a slight rattle but no urgency to bring it in just yet. A lot of the smaller issues people seem to have had with the car go away after the first month or so.

The manual says it only works below 20C and full power for 2 minutes, then after that based on temperature. It didn't seem to be doing anything after 10 minutes the other day whereas on my previous Golf it would clear the mirrors quickly. On other days it worked fine though, the first day was 14-15C and other days slightly cooler. Not a big deal, it will be the colder, darker Winter days when you'd need them most and they'll probably be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dubsphan

Just wondering if any other owners have a heat pump?

Got one with mine but wouldn't have a clue how to locate it under the bonnet. Nor would I know how to evaluate if I was getting any benefit from it.

Was out this morning for about two hours with the heater on and one seat warmer on. Never exceeded 100kph and battery level went from 62% to 37%. Did about 50KM. Was parked with heat on for a good while too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Sounds high consumption for 50kms driving, giving full range of 2000 if that was the norm. But it could have been incredibly inefficient leaving seat on for 2 hours, I am not sure. I turn it off after a few mins.

I dont have a heat pump but I had a short 5km spin this morning, outside temp was showing 6 deg and my consumption was 30kwh/100km at the end of it. Thats what yours would have been approx going by battery stats and distance travelled. There was a bit of stop start driving but nothing at speed, then did a 12 km journey and average was 21kwh

I have just over 2200kms on it now in 5 weeks and long term average is 17.1kwh which would indicate to me full range has been about 340kms since end of Sept, I am fully expecting this to rise over next 3 to 4 months of colder weather.

Plugging in twice a week, use work charger so try to have it at 100% leaving on a Friday anyway and dont let it drop below 20%

I did 13km this morning and it recorded 19.8kWh. Cabin set to 20C, both heated seats on full and steering wheel set to 1. Outside temp was 4C. Same drive this afternoon at 10C without seat heating was 17.5kWh/100km.

I think a heat pump works best below 7C or so but efficiency improvements are 5-10% real world, in a car with 300km+ range you probably wouldn't even notice the improvement. My commute 28km uses about 9-10% battery at the moment, if that was then 8-9% I probably wouldn't notice it when charging each week.

• Advertisement

One of the perks of the car having a SIM card I guess, driving into Dublin city to pick up my girlfriend and the car told me there was heavy traffic on my route, didn't have any navigation on. Loaded Google Maps to see the N4 was gridlocked from Lucan/Woodies all the way up to the M50, so I took an exit just before it.

I usually have Google Maps on for journeys I do regularly just for traffic updates/diversions but this was handy to have for the one time I didn't have navigation on!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

I wouldn’t worry too much dubsphan, if anything your consumption will be less than owners who have no heat pump.

We are all looking at a 20% drop in range once winter properly arrives and that’s just life. Your heat pump will indeed have to work a lot harder once the temperature starts to drop, particularly below 4/5 deg Celsius. It will find it harder to scavenge the latent heat, that said it’s good to run well into minus figures, the new refrigerants being used have amazing performance characteristics. It will just need to work harder. Same as the electric heaters, except they will need to work a lot harder than your heat pump.

Your 5-10% efficiency gain could be the difference in having to stop at a potentially busy charger or make it home without stopping, that and scaling it back to leaf speed 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Up to 17.4 kWhr/100km now, expecting it to climb as winter sets in. Which is fine.

I have the Goodyears so hopefully they'll last a decent amount of time. I'm still having occasional issues with the charging routines, the car wants to charge immediately despite me having it set to charge at preferred times only. This caught me out once already where I charged during all evening at the higher electricity rate...oh the horror.... I have to keep a close eye on it now getting out of the car or via the app.

A couple of more frivolous points...

• the horn sound is rubbish
    • it's annoying how you have to scroll up every time you want to pick a radio station from the favourites list

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Desjpotoole

Delivery Question - deposit put down in May. Am happy with a 223. Still waiting on update regarding delivery from dealer. Anyone else out there with a similar wait time?

Im up to 17.4 long term too.

The only thing really annoying me is if I forget to sign in to my profile in 1st 30 seconds or so and start off by accident, most of my functions in the screen are disabled apart from the essential safety ones. Can't seem to re-enable them until the car switches off and I start up again. But for this car it won't switch off fully unless I physically get out of the car!

Anyone know any solution for this which doesn't involve getting out of the car? Annoying since its the only profile set up and I still have to select it, the odd time I forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm the same, ordered in May. I have no idea when it will be delivered. I'm just assuming May '23.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Desjpotoole

UK lead times dont seem to be as bad and plenty of borns on uk autotrader for sale now.

Hold the power button for the screen for several seconds and press it to turn on again and you should get the profile selection again.

Anyone get strange charging settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Good video here on Born from Jonny Smith

https://youtu.be/CSc_yAx9ebA

I wonder would a factory reset help the issues you've been having?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Not quite. Got into car today and the infotainment screen showed a first use tutorial, the preset radio stations were all gone, the clima had reset and all the small settings push buttons on the screen are gone except the music and the map. I've emailed the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Was parked with heat on for a good while too.

That would do it. 2hrs of that will affect your consumption.

Great review. Not gone on that colour though (in addition to my own🙄).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Saw my first one in the flesh today, first thing I'd do is remove that front bonnet badge. Other than that a nice looking car

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

And yet for me that's what draws the eye to the car. I'm a fan

Not something I was familiar with, if you charge over 80% you lose a lot of regen. Charged to 100% last night and the brake bar on the driver display was at 50%. You have basically no regen all the way down to below 90% and the brakes feel a bit funny. Obviously you can't regen into a full battery but 35km drive got me down to 88% and only then did it start to come back a bit.

Similar to how you'll see a reduced power bar when it's cold or around 20%, but just be aware the brake pedal feels weird.

I got the Aurora Blue, which can either look stunning or can look a box of After Eights depending on the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Its my favourite colour too , thats why i picked it lol......

All the press releases and video reviews were in aurora blue but they used southern European sunny climates in the summer and the reviewers raved about it! Not as stunning in an Irish winter but plenty have told.me they love the colour even on dull days

Same as mine. I agree with you. I got it due to the fact that it was their poster shade but it turned out to be a bit of a Marmite colour. Some days I love it and others I hate it. Overall though I'm underwhelmed with it

I'd say even on a dull day aurora blue stands out just because it's not white, silver or black!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Izzy77

Hi all. Hopefully this link will work - 😔just as we start to get a bit of value..

Advertisement