Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The missus was at Westlife at 3Arena last night and sent me this. Nice to see they're doing some form of marketing but in my experience when there was an Audi there concert goers would walk past it on their way in, probably better off being in Terminal 2 where the Porsche used to be!

I keep getting VW ID ads on YouTube. I think Cupra need to do a bit more marketing than just having Cupra on the boot of all their cars to get people to Google them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Has anyone used the SEAT easy charge app with an ionity charger? I got my card just before Xmas so going to give it a go in Kill today.

I've also linked it with plug and charge on the cupra app, it says it will recognise my car and my account when I plug in.

So, to get a charge from ionity, am I just going to need to plug in? Or am I going to need to present my card or my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Does this offer better prices at Ionity or it just a convenience thing ?

It's a tenner a month and 35c per kwh. Pays for itself after half a charge. I'd do a trip a month Dublin to Cork where I'd need to charge

• Advertisement

Cupra app still saying offline , even though says online in car , very annoying indeed , surely they can sort out this mess 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Has everyone so far received the premium car mats (https://www.seatmotorparts.co.uk/seat-shop/genuine-cupra-born-premium-black-carpet-mats-2021-onwards/) or has the dealer charged extra for them? Likewise, are they including the welcome kit?

• Advertisement

I got them in mine, also from McCoy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubhurler4

Does anyone know the current lead time on the Born?

There are some available from dealers according to their ads on carzone and donedeal. Will all be 58kw, I don't think the 77kw has made its way to Ireland yet.

Lead time for a specified order, I am not sure. I wouldn't go nuts speccing much on them, fairly well equipped as standard, and expensive enough as standard too!

Beats Audio is a must, the standard sound system is shite and only has speakers in the front - nothing in the rear.

I do miss the Bose system in my Audi to be fair.

The trim level we have seems to be in between mid and high spec in other countries, if you just picked paint and wheels you wouldn't be missing out on anything major.

I think if I had to recommend a single option it would be the Beats audio. The stock sound system isn't terrible like other cars I've driven but it's also only ok. I'll probably get rear speakers put in at some point.

Apparently the Pilot L pack is now available which has the 360 camera and blind spot monitoring, which uses two radars in the rear so it also has rear traffic and pedestrian detection for reversing but it's also more of a nice to have rather than essential. It's a small car with good visibility, there's a button on the reversing camera to give a wider almost 180° view and the parking sensors will emergency brake to prevent you reversing into something so you're still fairly covered feature wise.

Must be no new owners on boards, or anyone waiting for an order! I have still only seen 1 other out on the road.

I am just starting my 4th month with the Born and really starting to like driving it and looking at it. I enjoy the nimbleness of it compared to my old A6.

Everything in the touchscreen is not ideal, particularly the 3 presses I have to do to turn off lane assist at start of every journey but getting used to it.

Sound system I find OK, I listen to spotify a lot and it generates decent quality. I would potentially upgrade but when push comes to shove I probably won't bother. I am going to give the inside of windscreen a good degreasing today and clean the outside too.

But anyway, we bought a 530e 2019 bigger battery PHEV yesterday to replace a tsi Golf. With herselfs driving I reckon it will be about 50/50 driving on battery and petrol. I will have to be the one to make sure it gets plugged in though!

Remains to be seen which I take when I have the option!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 rodderss

Cupra born is not a hot hatch , whoever brings out a 300 + brake hatch with decent range will be the first to achieve ev hot hatch status.

I could see the Koreans coming up with a saucy N .

There's an Ioniq 5 N on the way, but that's a bit big to be a hot hatch. A Kona N would be nice.

Post edited by TychoCaine on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

If you are flexible on spec and colour they are available in stock now. Every dealer should have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Apparently my Born is at the dealer now. So I'm hoping I might get it next week.

Happy days! Interested to see the sales figures of the Born this year.

How do you feel about picking it up now that the Tesla Model 3 is the same price? ... Mine is still on the docks at Emden, and I'm considering walking away from my deposit.

Post edited by TychoCaine on

I don't know. I never really considered a Tesla. It was slightly outside my price range and I'm not a huge fan of the Model 3 look.

I'm 50:50, and my order is Emden right now so I gotta decide quick. My concern is that VW/Cupra will have to slash their prices to sell any more ID.3 or Born units. The Tesla is objectively the more valuable car. You may not like the looks or the brand, but it's bigger & faster; has better tech, free autopilot & glass roof, which are all options on a Born. It's the EV equivalent to a BMW 3 series, whereas the Born is the equivalent to a Golf. If a Golf and a 3 series were the same price nobody outside a hardcore VW fan would buy a Golf. I like a Golf, but I like a 3 series more. Cupra will need to make a *deep* cut to their prices (likely down to MG4 levels) if they want to sell any more Borns to people like me.

If Cupra slash the price of the Born next week or next month, then there will be a knock-on impact on residual prices when we try and trade our Borns in for new cars in 2026. If you're using PCP it'll wipe out your deposit for the next car. If I jump over to a Tesla then the worst that can happen is the price stays the same. It might go back up, which will serve to raise residual prices.

That's given me a lot to think about.

Tesla are a little bit like Apple, they will have fans of the brand who will not look at anything else and they have a figurehead Elon Musk who is the equivalent of Steve Jobs back in the day. But there are plenty who won't buy them and actively dislike them, rightly or wrongly. Good value now it must be said though

That's a good analogy. The Model 3 is definitely good power and range for the money but not everyone wants one. There's a bit of an assumption now the price has come down everyone will flock to them. Not the case, people want their Hyundai, VW etc or just don't want to spend more money than they have to. My sister replaced her Kona with another Kona today, she doesn't want Tesla or VW. Why spend more than €40k if she doesn't need more range or power.

Plus it's still €3,000 more, 6.4% APR and doesn't include a service pack so it's not quite the same price. If I was to buy again I'd still go for the Born. I want a VW Group car.

• Advertisement

I'm neither a VW or Tesla fan. I'm looking at it from a pure financial standpoint. If Tesla keep this low price point VW will have no option but to knock a lot off their price to continue to sell in big numbers to the regular (non-VW enthusiast) buyer. If the ID.3/Born drops from €44k to €37k, which is what they'll have to do to maintain significant price separation between C & D segments, the resale/trade-in value in 3 years is going to drop from €25k to €21k. That means I have to have an extra €4k on hand to have the same level of deposit on my next car. I'd have to put aside €111 every month between now and then, basically bumping the cost of my Born from €650/month to €760/month (assuming a €6.5k deposit and a €20k GMFV). At the same time a Model 3 standard range PCP only costs €630/month with the same deposit. Basically, when you look at the total cost, the Tesla ends up way cheaper than a Born.

Also, a service pack is pretty much worthless on an EV. An EV service is a brake fluid and screen wash top-up, and a set of wipers. The set of tyres they include are worth €800, which isn't nothing I suppose. On the flip side, My €44k Born has no glass roof, no e-boost, no heat pump and no travel assist. The M3 comes with all that that as standard, plus it's got 50km more range. Also, VW bank are charging 6.9% APR now, so Tesla finance is cheaper.

Advertisement