Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Finally got around to using the CarPro Clarify glass cleaner the other day, working nights this week so it will be interesting to see how the glare is. The wipe on/buff off was easy enough anyway, wasn't fighting to get rid of any residue which is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Looks like i will be holding onto my Cupra Born for a long long time , just been offered 23,500 euro for it 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Was the trade in value from a Cupra/VW dealer?

How much were you hoping for.

• Advertisement

Yes it was from Cupra/VW dealer , car was over 40k new , i was expecting more than 23,500 anyway!

I had a similar experience with a VW/Cupra dealer recently but with a 2020 ID.3. The trade in value dropped 6k from the start of November to the start of December.

I was told it was due to recent price changes of the ID range. No updates to these on the VW site that I noticed but I assume if the ID.3 prices go down so will the Born prices. I seen a 232 no mileage Born for 33k last week.

New starting price for a born is 35k lads, that's your starting point. I paid 42k.

23.5 for a 2 year old (which it will be seen as in 2024) is probably about right to be honest.

We've all taken a hit along with owners of other brands, the whole market is falling

People are going to have to hold onto their cars. Dealers can't slash prices of new cars and offer crap trade-ins, it isn't feasible.

Unless someone genuinely needs a larger car* or just don't like the one they're in, going from a 2020 to a 2023 of the same car for more money doesn't make a lot of sense right now.

Yep its falling for electric cars more though, dealers are afraid to touch them , worrying times indeed for Ev owners

• Advertisement

Just have to figure out how to pick up your next car at these deflated values. I would be interested in the used EV market in the future, it sounds difficult to believe but a used etron GT or something could be affordable to many in the very near future, my beady little eyes are heading that way. The Born will become a 2nd car then, and we will keep it for a very longtime, luckily i have a partner that isnt thinking about her next car very quickly after buying current car like I do! I think the Born may be my one and only foray in the brand new EV market, I only ever did it once in ICE market too, everything else was used because the stuff I like is there.

Its all market correction though, without trade ins the dealers wont be selling new cars, it may take a while for the true market to display itself but it will.

It may even be overshooting on the way down at the moment and will stabilise or come back, or maybe it will get even worse. Nobody knows until it happens.

Is there a new price list available or is it currently just what the Cupra dealers are saying.

The prices on their website have always seemed very high, they start at 48k on the configurator.

Configurator prices exclude the SEAI grant and VRT relief, even when getting finance quotes you don't get the VRT relief as they don't quote that until the car lands. Maybe this has changed since I got mine last year but that seems to be the way they're doing things. Between grants and VRT you should expect €5k off the config price.

Even then, VW Group are bad at updating their configurator. PDF price list is the way to go, assuming 2024 would be live now.

There is certainly a lag in communication, I think they want to go about their price cuts quietly. The 2024 ones are still listed high but I dont think they are real prices any more.

Just look at that one above for example, 32950, I know its a 2023 but it looks like just a stock clearance

or this one below, its sometimes hard to tell from ads whether prices are pre grant or post grant, but once thing is for sure, a Cupra Born is not a 40k+ car any more

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cupra-born-58kwh-204hp/35058853

My sister would be fuming. She picked up a Kona 6 months ago for €40k, she wanted a Born but €45k starting price was out of her budget. Ignoring the price of new and secondhand at the moment, it's a nice car for €33k.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ev fan

As others have said you can get 2023 Borns now for eur 35k or less with no/ low mileage. Do I feel aggrieved that I paid euro 44k for mine at the start of the year? Not really, as in a few weeks time they are a Yr old anyway and with depreciation should be valued around the 35k mark. Just for interest I renewed my insurance for the Born for 2024 for eur 395 comprehensive. I think if you apply normal depreciation rates then the dropping values of ID3s' makes sense as supply is no longer an issue. I see also that ID3 pricelist has been revised down with well specced cars at eur 37k new - it is unclear though on the extras pricing and whether this applies to all new cars or is it a limited stock offer. Presumably Cupra will come up with something similar.

Well 222 Borns are valued at 23k , 2023 Borns will be lucky to get 30k i'd imagine

I could find very few 2022 Borns on donedeal/ carzone - the few there were asking over eur 32k. Where did you see Borns at 23k - were they private?

2 Cupra/Vw dealers offered me 23.5k for my 222 Born with only 10km done .

That's what you're offered Vs what they're being listed for so there's a difference in price, you do have to wonder why they're being listed for €32k but people are being offered €22k. Usually there's a €2-4k markup on what you get Vs what it's listed for in my experience with VW/Cupra.

• Advertisement

That was my experience also with VW/Cupra also , but not anymore ! I asked about the low offer compared to the asking price for 2 other 222 Cupras for sale online but was told thats all they could offer me right now . A few Vw dealers wouldnt even take my car in as a trade in. I can only assume they cant shift electric cars and are extremely wary of taking in trade ins as they are afraid they will be hard to move on .

We are starting to see the real market for used EVs appear now with early ID3s 2020 for 20k, I believe they'll sell at those prices. So about 50% after 4 years which is normal, or just below it based on new pricing

Earliest Born, like my own, are classed as 2 year old cars now so should be half way between new pricing and 20k, so 25-28k to buy a 2 year old, 23.5k sounds like a reasonable offer. That figure should hold up well into the new year though if anyone looking to offload

I paid 42k so not a hope will I trade it now but luckily, I still like it. I could see them holding at around the 20k mark for quite a while, depreciation should settle down. Loads of people will make jump into EV at around this 20k mark I feel.

I paid 41k for mine , so no way ill be taking that much of a hit , i've always changed every 2 years mostly Honda Civics and usually the cost to change was between 6-8k , so losing 17.5k in 2 years is a big shock to the system.

Your cost to change like for like wouldn't be 17.5k, it would be about 12.5k because the new ones have dropped since we bought.

What car were you looking to buy when you were made that offer?

It's a falling market with more to go. I think dealers are understandably very nervous about taking in 2nd hand EVS at the moment. Hence IMO you were lowballed by the dealers who want to establish a safe floor on falling prices. I think prices will stabilise by ,mid next year. If they don't then people will simply hang on to their EVS for longer and very few new cars will be sold in the meantime. At least that's what I will be hoping will happen.🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It's does feel like an extreme drop. I know the market is correcting itself but why would anyone touch a new born, ID3 etc if the risk is there that dealers selling them won't even touch them second hand in a few years.

I understand the price needs to drop in the second hand ones to sell them but it all puts people off buying new ones which surely puts the dealers in a no win situation. It also gives the cars a bad reputation when owners will be going around saying they lost their hat on them.

Kia Niro's, Hyundai Ioniq 5's, Kona's seem to be holding strong at the moment.

Last year when second hand ID4s were still getting over 40k in dealers my father was offered 23.5k. He nearly had a heart attack. Would be the biggest hit he ever took in a car in over 40 years of buying. It was towards a new ID4 also which at the time had gone up by about 12k. So a double hit.

So much for savings on fuel, servicing etc... all out the window in one swoop.

The real winners are people picking up second hand now and holding on for a good few years.

Agree 100% , anyone buying a brand new VW/Cupra EV, will have to be prepared to hang on to them for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Isn't it the price to change that really matters......

So if the price of the 2nd hand trade in drops by 10 k AND the price of the new car also drops by 10 k.

Then price to change stays the same

Advertisement