Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Price will really be the potential issue but the VZ almost drives like it's a different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The official VZ acceleration is 0-60 in 5.7 seconds which isn't bad, VAG cars are usually a bit quicker than claimed. The 204hp is 7.3 seconds on paper but will do 7 seconds.

My two issues are price and weight. Being 79kWh probably adds €5k to the price right off the bat, you're probably looking at €50k easily. I don't want to pay for a battery I don't need. Plus with EV values on the toilet we're likely looking at a horrible cost to change.

Then there's the extra weight of the battery. They say they've upgraded the suspension but how noticeable will that be for the 58kWh owners? Unless they're taking notes from Porsche engineers on a Nurburgring track day it probably won't be a significant improvement due to added weight.

Proper buckety sport seats this time though. I'm still on the fence about even asking to have my name down for a test drive.

Prices apparently due in two months in parts of Europe with cars available September/October.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

This happened today while driving. Anyone else experienced this? I presume covered by warranty. The other side is loose too. Drive against a head wind it will likely rip off too

Just watched your review there and you're very enthusiastic about the car, I think I might need to pay closer attention to this coming out.

Not sure if you spent enough time in the car but do you think those bucket seats and DCC are enough to hide that weight when it comes to handling? Given all the fun cars you've driven and ignoring the power side of things do you think it's up to scratch?

My main complaint about the Born is the bodyroll, my missus has complained about being pushed side to side in everyday driving and when I get back into the Golf I push it a bit more in the corners because the better seats and it rides very flat through the corners.

I'm almost certain they said the suspension has been tweaked and from what I understand it's not just a matter of coming with DCC as standard, there's potentially some upgraded components. I believe the ID.5 GTX comes with a thicker swaybar compared to the rest of the MEB cars so there's hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Did that just crack down the middle? Thats a bit of a mad thing to happen, just looked at mine I have no idea how yours could have done that

• Advertisement

I presume the wind caught and just ripped it off. I heard a knocking sound. Thought it was a stick that got caught in the wheel arch, as the noise stopped very quickly

Waiting to hear if they cover via warranty. But I'm gonna kick up one hell of fuss if they don't. This seems like manufacturing defect.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭gossamerfabric

ID.3 got a 52kWh battery for entry model with 388km wltp range. Good chance Born will get one too unless Cupra is intent on positioning itself as a brand above Volkswagen.

It might be worth waiting a week or two to see if it comes before placing an order for your 251 registered car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Just updating this. They are going to fix it under warranty as expected. (both sides)

Cupra Born 3rd best selling EV in May, surprised at that.

Anyway,front collision detection randomly emergency braked my car yesterday, completely slammed on and almost came to immediate stop from about 50kmph yesterday, felt like I'd crashed actually it was that sudden.

Just thinking about what that would be like if it did it from 100 or 120kmph, not a nice thought.

Found out later in the day it can be turned off like the lane assist, it will be off from now on.

• Advertisement

Nudging the accelerator overrides any collision detection. I use ACC religiously and on occasions it will detect a car as a hazard and start to slow down until I intervene. I've never been in a position where it did anything other than begin to slow down though, no jamming on that I've experienced.

That said I have the collision warning beep set to early so maybe I'm in a good position to override any potential false braking by intervening before it really needs to hit the brakes.

I wasn't using ACC at the time, it was in the industrial estate where I work.

I didn't notice anything I could react to in order to override it, just a sudden harsh deceleration.

There was nothing in front of me at all, I don't know what it reacted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭derekreilly

The best CUPRA yet? My review and drive of the 320bhp Born VZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Rexell1

Similar happened to me in harsh sunshine, a strong shadow/flicker was the only thing I could think, might have set it off?

Made an enquiry about this car in my local Cupra dealer, the initial figure given was 10k to change from my Cupra Born. Same year, same mileage more or less.

Reasons I have is, its a bit bigger, possibly more comfortable although I have never driven one, warranty from Kia until 2029 whereas my Cupra runs out in 2025. More range, not that I really need it, quicker charging when I do need it, again rare. Nicer car overall I feel, I think I am done with the hot hatch thing now.

I also have the etron 55 for long journeys for comfort, with its fast charging but no more range then the Cupra, this will beat both for range.

So, I dont need it, I am not dressing up as money saving idea or anything, its a cost pure and simple, but I do like it. And I can afford it.

Am I mad to consider it? I will drive it tomorrow to see if I even like it, I do from the outside for sure.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ev6-kia-ev6-earth-low-rate-finance-kia-warran/36614742

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No, that's the end of that so!

Only spoke about it this morning.

Was a long shot of I'd even do it anyway but was going to have a look tomorrow.

It was just that a cupra dealer had one for sale I thought I had half a chance of a good deal.

Not to worry

That's a pity, maybe it's for the best, if you were thinking of VW finance you'd lose the 0% which is a good saving. I'm dreading how things will be when my PCP ends in 26, I could do a madlad on it and cash in and buy a Kia ceed 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭noellinnane

Hi all.
    I’ve been very interested in this car for a couple of years. The main things holding me were:

1. I lived in an apartment and couldn’t charge at home
    2. My current car is just too good, I’m currently driving an 181 Ibiza FR and love it.

I’ve bought a house since so can now charge at home and my car turned 6 years old so I think the 7 year itch is kicking in.

My dealer is offering a great deal on trade in and I’m tempted. I’ve read through this whole thread to answer most of my questions but there’s just a couple of things people have referenced that I’m curious about.

1. Tyres: a couple of you have said they’ve had to change tyres already after just 1 or 2 years. Is this common or is it just because you’re giving it hell ;)

2. Some of you have also mentioned windows not demisting. Did anyone raise this with the garages? And was there a solution?

3. As it’s rear wheel drive how have people been finding it on snow and ice?

I’m general people seem happy with the range from the 58kwh battery and it looks like it’s roughly on par with what I get from half a tank of petrol from my Ibiza. But do people have any hints or tips re getting the most out of it?

Many thanks

If you're buying new a set of tyres is included. I've almost 11,000 km on the continentals and they look perfect.

Never had misty windows, I just use auto and raise or lower the temperature if needed.

No snow or ice around here since last July so I can't comment, probably like all rwd cars, terrible.

Just drive it and charge it when needed, I can get the week out of 100% this time of year, it usually needs about an extra 20-25% in the cold winter.

• Advertisement

The car is good, I had the demisting problem at the very start but it's something to do with the manufacturing of a new car and it has not happened since. I wouldn't be worried about it if buying one again

Tyres didn't last asing as I expected but more down to the brand than anything I expect, you can put whatever tyres you want on it. And yeah I would have been doing some launches in it at the start, 2nd set are lasting much better.

It's a lovely good handling car so I expect you'll enjoy it if you like the Ibiza, it is far heavier though

In terms of tyres, it's a heavy car with instant power and torque so it will go through tyres quicker. I got 18,000km from a set of Continental EcoContact 6 that came with the car but they often struggled with grip as they're an economy tyre, a better tyre that doesn't struggle with grip will last longer.

My windows are misting as the 3.2.1 update seems to have bugged the climate software for me, it doesn't work as well as it used to. As Buddy Bubs mentioned on a new car in the first year you'll likely have a greasy windscreen from the "off gas" from adhesives used in manufacturing. You'll just need to clean the windscreen every month or two. Glass cleaning can be a pain, I find CarPro Clarify is easy to use for streak free cleaning.

I often drive to work in freezing temps due to going to work at 6am or leaving at 1am, temps as low as -4°C in the car so far and drove in snow back in March. No issues as long as you're driving safely. Traction control seems to be much better in an electric car due to how quick the software can control the electric motor, it's a bit more refined than in a petrol/diesel and I almost don't notice it coming on at times if it wasn't for the blinking light.

It's a great car. Lovely to drive, nice spec, nice build quality. No real issues other than a few minor niggles.

Someone in a Facebook group shared a picture of the price of the VZ in Switzerland, €50,400. No details on grants, standard spec, if that's including delivery/service pack but Pilot/Tech packs, HUD and Sennheiser sound system are optional extras. Standard model with wheels and seats added is €43,500 although not sure if there's a delivery cost there.

Before delivery the 80kWh Tesla LR AWD is €48k, the Polestar 2 LR is €44,5k and the MG4 X Power is €43k although that's only 64kWh. The Born really needs to come in under €50k delivered, no doubt there's a few options to be ticked too. A decent APR rate also makes the world of difference, if it's 3.9% it's probably going to end up being too expensive.

I got an ota update today. Pic attached, is this the latest version?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ev fan

Got the update and mine is the same. Possible further updates to 3.5/3.7 but I believe no noticeable difference. I see new production of the ID3 comes with 4.0 - I assume new Born production has the same with 59kWh battery. Good to see improvements happening.

In fairness I never had one problem with the car, software or otherwise, since I collected it last July, I think I've had three of these updates but haven't noticed any changes, maybe since yesterday's one the car feels a bit more responsive, could be the placebo effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

When is the new born coming?

All the reports are for the sportier model which I assume is not the same thing.

It only came out in 2022 so I doubt there's an all new one imminent for a while yet.

VW earliest EVs were id3, id4 and Etron from 2019/2020 and seemed to be on a 4 year cycle before a serious refresh

There has been an improvement in acceleration and consumption with the new update. I visited my daughter yesterday she lives in a nearby village, the car normally uses 13% for the return journey in summer, 15% in winter. Yesterday it used 10%. There's a particularly steep hill on the return journey and it definitely needed less foot to climb it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ev fan

Agree with Buddy Buds that facelifted model is probably sometime away yet. I think though they could go ahead with 4.0/59kWh as the changes would be internal software and some hardware ecu changes?

Advertisement