Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in parks

Options
  • 01-03-2019 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

What is the situation with cycling in Dublin parks, going back years I was approached very aggressively by a council employee and told to get off my bike from a distance I could hear him from without the raised voices or attitude.
    I dont know if this policy still applies as I cant tell from the entrance signs as they are either defaced/damaged. I know in Corkagh park there is a seperate track, but it seems ridiculous to cordon off an area where you can cycle around in circles, may as well not be in the park

I want to bring my son cycling, he is still using stabilisers but I cant keep up with him at walking pace, so wanted to buy a cheap bike to cycle alongside him.
    At this point if this ridiculous policy exists I consider contesting it, ie are there bye laws? or is it just locally enforced in certain parks.

Cycling is an enjoyable healthy activity, I think it should be encouraged, instead of banning things, they should probably put signs up to pay consideration to other park users, even having a seperate portion of the path for cycling. I have my doubts that the aggressive thug who approached me would approach a gang of drinkers or someone who was on a motorbike.

Are there initiatives to encourage cycling? whats being done about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in dublin city council parks, this is the relevant section from the bye-laws:
    No person shall cycle or use any skateboard, roller skates, rollerblades, or other vehicle in any park or open space except on such routes and in such places as may be designated by the Council for that purpose
    http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content//RecreationandCulture/DublinCityParks/Documents/ParksBye-Laws2D.pdf
    section 4.6a.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

To the best of my knowledge cycling is not permitted on the footpaths in public parks which I personally don't think is unreasonable! Having said that, the rule seems to be generally ignored in any parks that I regularly visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

Cycling is allowed in Fingal parks, though it wasn't always. Malahide Castle is the park I'm most familiar with and most of the paths would be suitable for what you are talking about.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/media/Parks%20Bye%20Laws%20User%20guide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Seems they disregard a significant number of these or are unable to enforce them, I dont see what the issue is with cycling with consideration for others (not all parks have a designated cycle track), I'll look up the SDCC version myself, the Phoenix park is in the DCC area also?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Plenty of bike lanes in the Phoenix Park. There's no need to go cycling on the footpath there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

DLRCC parks (I've cycled in Shanganagh and Kilboggett before) tend to be signposted as shared pedestrian priority paths, which just means don't be treating it as a racetrack and if anyone has to move out of the way it's the cyclist. The fact that you'll be there with a child says you're not going to be taking the p!ss with it though.

DLRCC parks (I've cycled in Shanganagh and Kilboggett before) tend to be signposted as shared pedestrian priority paths, which just means don't be treating it as a racetrack and if anyone has to move out of the way it's the cyclist. The fact that you'll be there with a child says you're not going to be taking the p!ss with it though.
    Exactly, no experienced cyclist is going to want to cycle (for a normal type of exercise spin) in a park given the limitations. But, they are ideal for teaching a child to cycle. Kids cycling to/from school are reasonable uses as well I think, and anyone just using it as a short-cut or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Marlay Park has a shared use walking and cycling path through it. There's also the Slang River way between Marlay Park and Dundrum, it cuts through the housing estates so exercise care at junctions but it is signposted.

The Corkagh Park track is used for cycle racing and training including youth training so don't diss it as a service. You may need it in years to come.

Marlay Park has a shared use walking and cycling path through it. There's also the Slang River way between Marlay Park and Dundrum, it cuts through the housing estates so exercise care at junctions but it is signposted.

The Corkagh Park track is used for cycle racing and training including youth training so don't diss it as a service. You may need it in years to come.

Most of the mentioned parks arent ads near to me, but its possible for me to get to them, it would be nice to be able to cycle to the parks nearby eventually too.
    Im not dissing the Corkagh park track, but it does look specifically for cycle training opposed to just cycling for fun. Cycling around that track you may as well not be in the park, Id go to the park to cycle to see/visit the park as much to cycle and for a bit of variety would visit different parks.
    It seems the attitude held by SDCC is more to do with how they view use/residents of parks, people will either be considerate or not regardless of the activity they participate in. Its extreme to ban cycling because some might ruin it for others, just have a pedestrian right of way rule, not that anyone follows the rules anyway, I dont see why they go nuclear on cycling, if they want to go OTT they should start with dog walkers (I collect my dogs waste), drinkers and other anti social behaviour and motorbike use in particular.

Where are you based, maybe we can offer more specific advice?

Asking generally about Dublin parks will get you general advice.

• Advertisement

Im near griffeen park and corkagh, theres another one nearby too but I dont vist that one as a lot of people are allowing their dogs to $hit everywhere, St Catherines park looks like a nice alternative, didnt know it was in the DCC area of responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

plodder wrote: »
    Exactly, no experienced cyclist is going to want to cycle (for a normal type of exercise spin) in a park given the limitations. But, they are ideal for teaching a child to cycle. Kids cycling to/from school are reasonable uses as well I think, and anyone just using it as a short-cut or such.

Oh I agree completely. I used to use Shanganagh when I was just getting back in to cycling, as it was a handy location. Now that I'm capable of longer spins at higher speeds it's not as attractive, because of awareness of/courtesy to others. For someone just plodding around with a kid though, in most cases go for it.

There's always the Canal cycle path. Pretty wide and flat and with the opportunity to see swans and birdlfe. Ok you might need your wits about you for certain stretches.

1874 wrote: »
    Im near griffeen park and corkagh, theres another one nearby too but I dont vist that one as a lot of people are allowing their dogs to $hit everywhere, St Catherines park looks like a nice alternative, didnt know it was in the DCC area of responsibility
    St Catherines spans a few council areas, including Fingal. I'd say it would be a good location to try out.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/community-and-leisure/parks-and-open-spaces/find-a-park-or-open-space/st.-catherines-park-/-lucan-demesne/

There's always the Canal cycle path. Pretty wide and flat and with the opportunity to see swans and birdlfe. Ok you might need your wits about you for certain stretches.

He's not proficient enough, plus I dont fancy jumping into the canal to fish him out, probably when he is better and it means you get to be a long way from returning, ok for me but for him not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1874 wrote: »
    I'll look up the SDCC version myself, the Phoenix park is in the DCC area also?

PP is OPW instead of DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I cycled through Tymon Park a week or two ago, the footpaths are wide enough on the Greenhills side so once I rang the bell and went to the side or just went into the grass I was fine. The kissing gates give the impression they don’t want bikes, but there’s a large shared use path on the entranceway to the basketball arena which leads into the park. I saw an elderly couple with bikes too, looked like they were trying to get back “into it”.

Anyway, nobody said anything to me and I have no intention of stopping. I’m relatively new to cycling, and avoiding the park would leave me to go via Wellington Road and that massive roundabout... no thanks!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Plenty of bike lanes in the Phoenix Park. There's no need to go cycling on the footpath there.
    Too many people and pets on the cycle paths IMO!
    St Catherines spans a few council areas, including Fingal. I'd say it would be a good location to try out.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/community-and-leisure/parks-and-open-spaces/find-a-park-or-open-space/st.-catherines-park-/-lucan-demesne/
    It's nice there. You get a mix of surfaces: tarmac, gravel, flat-ish and steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Tymon Park also. I dunno if cycling is allowed or not.

I've seen no cycling on a lot of parks though.

Oh I agree completely. I used to use Shanganagh when I was just getting back in to cycling, as it was a handy location. Now that I'm capable of longer spins at higher speeds it's not as attractive, because of awareness of/courtesy to others. For someone just plodding around with a kid though, in most cases go for it.
    Didn't mean to sound dismissive of the various ways people cycle in parks, but I think you know what I meant. Just that allowing cycling in parks doesn't mean that vast numbers of lycra clad speed merchants, who pay no road tax, will start taking over the paths, knocking down grannies and small children etc :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Phoenix park has a few closed roads and cycle paths and dirt trail paths. Perfect tbh.

River Liffey mini-greenway plus Irish National War Memorial Gardens
    Along the south bank of the River Liffey at the Irish National War Memorial Gardens

Canal Greenway - Ashtown to Castleknock Station is also very nice. Stop in cafe either end.
    https://irishcycle.com/2014/06/27/images-royal-canal-greenway-from-castleknock-to-ashtown/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Too many people and pets on the cycle paths IMO!

It's fine for kids cycling though. If I'm on my own, I just go on the road. I wouldn't cycle on the path instead.

There's also the reservoir at Glenasmole in Tallaght. It's got a paved path far enough away from the water. Interesting enough and quiet enough to cycle along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

to file under general replies: I've never had an issue when cycling in St Anne's park with my son. we always give way / priority to pedestrians. loads of people cycle in that park with kids and once common courtesy is demonstrated I don't think any conflict can or should arise. I've met plenty of park employees when on my bike with the trailer behind, cycling behind my son on his balance bike etc and nothing has ever been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Cycling is allowed in Fingal parks, though it wasn't always. Malahide Castle is the park I'm most familiar with and most of the paths would be suitable for what you are talking about.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/media/Parks%20Bye%20Laws%20User%20guide.pdf

Often cycle here on the cx bike in winter when it’s closed with lights . There is one gate left open that everyone uses . Its fantastic and there is a nice gravel path around the park. Never any hassle and great training away from the cars . Malahide /swords traffic can be a nightmare at times for a cyclist

Advertisement