Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scarlets vs Munster match thread, Sat 2nd March 5pm

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

mangobob wrote: »
    If I was a munster fan I would be absolutely wrecking the house now.

Your own house?

Why? Chill out, it's only a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Bringing on Cronin was always going to end badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Horrible game...took. the wrong option at times and tbh, the weather was a big factor..sweetnam, O'Mahoney, Scannell just couldn't get any ball their way... but overall, Scarlets deserved the win on their defense alone.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Your own house?

We could always go up and wreck his house?

nah

I could send my kids though. They can take a house from pristine to 'bomb hit it' in about 20 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

78th minute and the ref shouts “back foot” at a Scarlets player who’s standing a foot away from Cronin and he doesn’t even move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

I thought Sca were going to be a lot better than that. After last weeks performance, i'm not surprised that Munster played like that.

I have to admit, I expected a bit more from Alby today...he should have taken the lead a bit and helped Johnson out at times, he's the older, wiser head and could have been a bit more inventive with ball in hand.. but again...it was a tough game for inventive rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Your own house?

Can't help it. Its the pashun. Its too much sometimes.

Well over the course of the six nations this year its been progressively reduced to rubble, so I doubt anyone would notice the difference :P

I have to admit, I expected a bit more from Alby today...he should have taken the lead a bit and helped Johnson out at times, he's the older, wiser head and could have been a bit more inventive with ball in hand.. but again...it was a tough game for inventive rugby

When munster had almost all the possession and almost all the territory and the conditions are as bad as they were, the backs weren't the reason why we lost that game. The big boys up front couldn't get over the line. They had the platform, but couldn't breach a very tight and very disciplined Scarlets defense.

They turned down a few goal kicking opportunities in the first half but we were dominating up front and by any reasonable refereeing standard, there should have been a yellow for repeated infringements before half time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

When munster had almost all the possession and almost all the territory and the conditions are as bad as they were, the backs weren't the reason why we lost that game. The big boys up front couldn't get over the line. They had the platform, but couldn't breach a very tight and very disciplined Scarlets defense.

They turned down a few goal kicking opportunities in the first half but we were dominating up front and by any reasonable refereeing standard, there should have been a yellow for repeated infringements before half time.

and there's the nub of the issue, expectation that the forwards will win the game, when teams front-up then there isn't enough guile and creativity to play through the backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think that match can be discussed without highlighting just how smart Rhys Patchell was in the final 20 minutes. He absolutely tortured Munster with his kicking and positioning. Very impressive showing.

Munster will be disappointed. So much possession for so little return. Conditions were difficult but they still could have tagged on a couple more scores. Someone mentioned earlier that Botha has been poor in recent months and I have to agree. Once the pitches got heavy his influence dropped hugely. He's far more influential with good ball on a dry track which isn't great for rugby in this league.

Front five were very good for Munster I thought. They provided a perfect platform for their team to deliver. A few test players back in and Munster will still be the team to beat in that conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Also, Cassiem finished with 30 tackles and none missed. Serious performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

From reading the tread it seems Munster lacked creativity. Was Johnston poor or was it more a team issue? Would love to see Johnston get a run of games at 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Awful conditions, but we had more than enough ball and time in their 22 to win it. Credit to dogged Scarlets defence and some brain dead Munster attack. Haley is having a good season but a simple draw and pass had us a certain try and he butchered it.

We showed no inventiveness in the 22… even with a second string that was poor

Losing bonus is still a good result in what is arguably our hardest remaining fixture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

mogwai81 wrote: »
    From reading the tread it seems Munster lacked creativity. Was Johnston poor or was it more a team issue? Would love to see Johnston get a run of games at 10.

Thought he played for territory very well, some lovely vision at times.

But there was no creativity really. When you have that much possession and no real incision, you have to look at the outhalf.

Don't think Mathewson helped though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Johnston turned 22 last month and missed a lot of rugby due to two serious shoulder injuries. There's still plenty scope for development.

Mathewson was due a poor game, he's been brilliant to this point.

Such a frustrating watch tonight. On another night that could have been a TBP win with that possession and territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

nah

I could send my kids though. They can take a house from pristine to 'bomb hit it' in about 20 minutes

20 minutes? Pffft. Amateurs!

Bit of an ugly game, miserable conditions and quite physical. Munster threw an awful lot at that to not come away with the win. That one will really stick in the graw but they have nothing to complain about - Scarlets looked like the chasing team in the last 15 minutes.

Can't really fault Munster, it wasn't a lack of effort at all - just a lack of accuracy. Holland really dug in, some errors but led well and from the front. Great ref manager and all around critical Munster player. A home grown Scott Fardy. Halfpenny demonstrated once again why he is such a useful player to have available. Both sides fluffed late opportunities - game was very engaging but it's another disappointing away stat for Munster to have to account for. It's officially a trend at this stage so you would wonder what is breaking down in their match prep that they look so much more ordinary even against weaker teams away from home. Not that Scarlets are weak - they showed a lot of maturity and determination today. Big result for them against the backdrop of a Munster side who threw the overwhelming majority of the punches.

Munster 2019 remind me a bit of Leinster 2009. That season went on to define Leinster however. I think a piece of silverware will be a game changer for this group of Munster players and I'd love to see it. Won't do the World cup bid any harm regardless but a strong Munster will mean a larger player pool for Ulster to pilfer from :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Won't do the World cup bid any harm regardless but a strong Munster will mean a larger player pool for Ulster to pilfer from :pac:

That just means Munster then pilfer from Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    That just means Munster then pilfer from Leinster.

pilfer who ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Jewelers wrote: »
    pilfer who ?

Some people would be of the opinion that Leinster are themselves to blame for players leaving. Big Mike Ross was shown the door when he himself thought he'd at least get the soft landing of one more year.
    Jordi was the next to face the chop, playing away, turning in performances the told there's no contract there for him.

Joey seeing himself as a ten, subbing at 15 with Ross Byrne playing in his position and talk of a young Jordan Larmour making that shirt his own.

Sean o'Brien mister Leinster was surplus to requirements this year...

You can understand why some players feel like their career is passing them by if they stay at Leinster as second/third choice with the "conveyor belt" churning out such quality.

I doubt that the other provinces are courting players. It would appear to me that the other provinces are attractive to Leinster players, because they get to stay in Ireland and benefit from the welfare management model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Jordi was the next to face the chop, playing away, turning in performances the told there's no contract there for him.

Where are you getting that from, I’ve never heard that suggested anywhere except in your post?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from, I’ve never heard that suggested anywhere except in your post?

If anything the opposite was reported, that Leinster wanted to keep him, but as it was him who pushed for the move they didn't stand in his way.

He would never have been told there was no contract for him at Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah, that's a complete fabrication

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I have a bad feeling about this game.

Seems I was right. An awful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Munster lost that game by failing to think clearly when in good positions. For example, about half way through the first half they were awarded a penalty that they kicked to touch for a line-out close in. Scarlets were penalised again at the l/o. Kicked again for another, same result. Two line-out penalties on the five metre line. Instead of going again they took a tap penalty. Got turned over. Daft and lack of leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Some people would be of the opinion that Leinster are themselves to blame for players leaving. Big Mike Ross was shown the door when he himself thought he'd at least get the soft landing of one more year.

Mike Ross was 37 when he retired, hardly a player in his prime now

Jordi decided to move because he wanted to start every game. He was offered a new contract but he was not guaranteed his place and also Heaslip at that stage was on the way back from injury so the back row was full of players....it was Jordi decision, it just happened that after he signed that Heaslip retired

I would guess Joe had a conversation with Jordi as well, a few people mentioned that

Joey seeing himself as a ten, subbing at 15 with Ross Byrne playing in his position and talk of a young Jordan Larmour making that shirt his own.

Joey seen himself as a 15, it was only when the NZ guy came in and said he was a 10 and then with Ireland losing a 10 he was suddenly promoted.

Suddenly Joey wanted to play 10 and again was getting advice from Joe. It was the IRFU who made that move happen.

SOB was losing his central contract, Leinster wouldnt be able to offer the money he wanted or a 3 year contract at this age. With his injury profile he would be offered a pay as you play deal.

You can understand why some players feel like their career is passing them by if they stay at Leinster as second/third choice with the "conveyor belt" churning out such quality.

I doubt that the other provinces are courting players. It would appear to me that the other provinces are attractive to Leinster players, because they get to stay in Ireland and benefit from the welfare management model.

Not sure what Leinster would do different?

Munster do have the biggest squad, they need to move players on...Leinster seem to be better at keeping a happy squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

TL:DR - Leinster are a powerhouse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    ..Leinster seem to be better at keeping a happy squad

Yes indeed. Their smiles are 0.06mm wider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

wtf did I just stumble on :confused:

Anyway we were fairly poor last night, we could have had a BP win but somehow managed to leave a win behind us - the only thing Scarlets offered was good defence and that was enough once they got ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You what now?

At the beginning I hoped you were playing devil's advocate, wasn't so sure toward the end.

Advertisement