Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon and warranty?

Options
  • 01-03-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I bought a HDMI Switcher

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019MJM2ZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

from Amazon in April 2017 and it stopped working in November, I was just so busy and things that I only got around to contacting Amazon about it today and they are refusing to replace it claiming that it only has a six month warranty and that after 22 months it is within its lifespan and that it is a lower priced item. They advised me to contact the Manufacturer which I have done, however considering it is an almost generic chinese product I'm not very hopeful of getting any satisfaction out of them. I paid £7 for it back in 2017 and it should have lasted alot longer.

I wonder what are my rights and how do I go about forcing Amazon to replace this under the typical Irish two year warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m not sure that you can expect a long lifespan from a €7 generic electronic part from China.

Any remedy via legal means, if there is one, would cost you a lot more than €7.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be honest, while it probably should have lasted longer, I don’t know if I’d invest any effort for a generic type £7 item.

And to be clear, there is no such thing as a two year Irish warranty. Under Irish law, you are entitled to expect something to last a reasonable lifetime, assuming no misuse or excessive wear and tear. It could be argued that 18 months is a reasonable lifetime for a cheap electronic item.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

General manufacturer warranty on electronic based components is usually 12 months, and that's assuming a strong named brand e.g. Samsung, Bosch, etc. There may be a (very) slim hope that there was something more written in a warranty card etc. which came with the part, but if it's a cheap Chinese part then I very much doubt it.

In general too I think you may need to manage your expectations a bit differently, 7 EUR electronics from China is very likely not going to work for ca 2 years, I would be happy myself if I got a year out of it (-:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

theguzman wrote: »
    I bought a HDMI Switcher

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019MJM2ZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

from Amazon in April 2017 and it stopped working in November, I was just so busy and things that I only got around to contacting Amazon about it today and they are refusing to replace it claiming that it only has a six month warranty and that after 22 months it is within its lifespan and that it is a lower priced item. They advised me to contact the Manufacturer which I have done, however considering it is an almost generic chinese product I'm not very hopeful of getting any satisfaction out of them. I paid £7 for it back in 2017 and it should have lasted alot longer.

I wonder what are my rights and how do I go about forcing Amazon to replace this under the typical Irish two year warranty?

They don't operate in Ireland so they won't entertain anything about Irish consumer law, check the consumer legislation for the country site you bought it from.
    But realistically you'll spend more time and energy trying to get satisfaction then the item is worth. How much do you value your time to spend time researching consumer law in another jurisdiction before you have to start dealing with Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Life isn't long enough to bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

L1011 wrote: »
    Life isn't long enough to bother.

I ordered a replacement for the old one as soon as it broke as couldn't be bothered with the replacement/repair/refund process back then. Was tidying up stuff today as was going to throw out the old one but contacted Amazon first incase I would be able to get a replacement as a spare would be handy. I'll just order an even cheaper one off Aliexpress and wait forever for it to arrive. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

theguzman wrote: »
    I ordered a replacement for the old one as soon as it broke as couldn't be bothered with the replacement/repair/refund process back then. Was tidying up stuff today as was going to throw out the old one but contacted Amazon first incase I would be able to get a replacement as a spare would be handy. I'll just order an even cheaper one off Aliexpress and wait forever for it to arrive. :D
    It'll prob be exact same thing.

Advertisement