Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatic driving test

• 01-03-2019 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm just wondering if anyone here has done their driving test in an automatic transmission car?
    I'm due to do the test within the next few weeks and am just wondering what are the stats for first time pass rates in an automatic.
    any tips?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm not too sure those stats are published. I've certainly not seen them. But it's not important either way, stats are irrelevant to the test! Just get as much practise as you can and make sure your car is all prepared for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Concentrate on what you’re doing and what’s going on around you and forget about stats. They have absolutely no bearing on YOUR test. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I echo the sentiments of both moderators. Just as a side note, you are aware that by sitting and passing your test in a vehicle equipped with automatic transmission you are restricted to that type only, so you won't be able to drive anything with manual transmission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Presumably the pass rates are higher as you are not judged on your ability to control the gears, or make a free wheeling mistake.

But, as you know, the licence gained is not the same. Unless, like my sister in law, you end up receiving an unrestricted licence anyway. Not that it matters in her case as she's incapable of driving a stick shift. But, I digress. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Presumably the pass rates are higher as you are not judged on your ability to control the gears, or make a free wheeling mistake.

But, as you know, the licence gained is not the same. Unless, like my sister in law, you end up receiving an unrestricted licence anyway. Not that it matters in her case as she's incapable of driving a stick shift. But, I digress. :)

I know someone who did their test on a bike some years ago, a Honda 125 with no clutch, therefore semi automatic, initially the restriction '78' i think it was didn't appear on the licence, he got a letter from the tax office a few weeks later telling him to come back with the licence to have it corrected. Not sure has it happened with the NDLS, but i have no doubt it possibly has somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DipDab93

I have a friend who received an unrestricted license too. I'm not worried about the restricted license because I've no intention of ever driving a manual :pac:

I'm just worried about the test itself because when I was doing my lessons I was taught about indicator efficiency however someone told me that you can get failed for over indicating. So while my instructor thinks I'm fine with how I handle the indicators and unexpected situations I've someone else telling me they failed because they indicate too much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Go with your instructor. If you start listening to everyone you'll get a hundred differing opinions on the same subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

DipDab93 wrote: »
    I have a friend who received an unrestricted license too. I'm not worried about the restricted license because I've no intention of ever driving a manual :pac:

I'm just worried about the test itself because when I was doing my lessons I was taught about indicator efficiency however someone told me that you can get failed for over indicating. So while my instructor thinks I'm fine with how I handle the indicators and unexpected situations I've someone else telling me they failed because they indicate too much?

Go with your instructor - why take advice from someone who failed their test. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Do you mean you are worried you indicate at inappropriate times i.e. when you're not turning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Your instructor is best placed to advise you here, they’ve seen you drive and know what you’re doing right and wrong. Stick with what you know and have been taught to do. Don’t 2nd guess yourself on the test, trust your instinct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

I passed first time in an automatic just recently.

Don't plan on driving a manual, and not having to worry about gears and clutch made me much more confident and allowed me concentrate more on the road.

Made it easier for me anyway.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

Would be interesting to see the stats, I'd say. On the one hand, driving an automatic is undeniably easier and it's one less area for potential marks and failure. On the other hand, I'd say it's likely that folks taking the test in automatics who first learned to drive around here (where manuals are still far more common) might have chosen to switch to an automatic because they are less confident (or less capable) drivers, which might make them more likely to fail the test on other categories.

Yes, it's possible to fail by indicating "too much", if by "too much" you mean putting on your indicator when it isn't necessary, or putting it on too early or leaving it on too long. That would be improper use of the indicator and it is dangerous because it can cause confusion for other road users as to your intentions. As long as your instructor thinks your indicator usage is fine, then it's likely not an issue, though.

Advertisement