Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Lights PIR controlled

Options
  • 01-03-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Quick query ... I want to replace the light outside our front door with one with an integrated PIR (this light fitting is also switch controlled internally.) I also want to fit another fitting further down the side of the house.

I would like both lights to turn each other on (purchase two fittings with integrated pir) can they be connected to do this?

I will have an electrician out to fit but wanted to check before I buy the fittings.

If its not possible I suppose plan B is front door with integrated PIR ....side light no integrated PIR but turned on when the light at front door comes on (and/or via the switch). Is this possible?.

Plan C and least favorite is 2 standalone lights with integrated PIRs.

Probably soemthing along the lines of these... https://www.philips.ie/c-p/154793016/mygarden-wall-light

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭greenore

yes switch will be done away with sending a permanet feed to light fittings, so both light will work seperately on their own PIR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

greenore wrote: »
    yes switch will be done away with sending a permanent feed to light fittings, so both light will work separately on their own PIR

Grand thanks so no issue linking the two.

With regard to switch can we not use this to power on the lights? as in want the lights on steady bypassing PIR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Sadly not the pir fittings on them fittings are built into the fitting so unless it's hacked into it will work but then you void the warranty on the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If the PIR supply and switch wires are available inside the connection point of the fittings, then it can be done. Individual wall switches supply the lights direct. PIRs both connected to switch on a 2 pole relay. Relay contacts connect to lights or their wall switches to bring them on on PIR trigger. Relay enables them to be separately switched on with their wall switches when PIRs are not triggered.

It's a bit involved wiring wise. Better off with standalone lights and PIRs probably, if doing that.

Advertisement