Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIM800 GSM module - compatible SIM cards

Options
  • 01-03-2019 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi. I am using a SIM800L GSM module in a software development project and am wondering if anyone can give me advice regarding compatible SIM cards. This module allows a host computer or microcontroller to send / receive data via a GPRS network - and send text messages, etc. - once a suitable SIM card is used.

Currently I am using my main phone SIM card for testing and development - but am planning to get a new one as it is awkward to use this. The afore-mentioned SIM card which I am currently using is an old O2 SIM card. IIRC I have had this SIM card since before O2 were taken over by Three.

With this SIM card, I can send and receive data via the GPRS network successfully. I have not yet had success sending text messages, but that may be just due to programming / configuration error on my part.

My main concern is that the SIM800 is a 2G / 2.5G GSM module, while my understanding is that 2G networks are being phased out in Ireland. When I have inquired from phone retail stores regarding suitable SIM cards, none of them could guarantee compatibility with the device - stating that their networks all switched to 3G years ago.

I plan to borrow a (relatively new) Vodafone or Three SIM card from a friend or family member to test if they will work with the SIM800L, but am not sure how soon I will have an opportunity to do this. In the meantime ... If anyone could shed some light on the status of 2G networks in Ireland (which mobile providers support it - if any) I would appreciate it.

For anyone with the time and interest, the reference manual for the SIM800 (of which the SIM800L is a variant) can be found here: https://www.elecrow.com/wiki/images/2/20/SIM800_Series_AT_Command_Manual_V1.09.pdf .

P.S. The choice of the SIM800L was chosen by the person I am working for - it was not my choice, and can not be changed in the short/medium-term.

P.P.S. I realize in retrospect that this thread might be more suitable for the 'Midband' sub-forum. Moderators are welcome to move it if they feel the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is the right forum probably, this or mobiles. Building a product on a network thats going away is really quite silly.

There's no switch off date yet but if a 2G RRU goes dead I don't see the MNOs replacing it. Relying on 2G only could leave you with a very patchy platform.

Advertisement