Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway displaying different price than what they charged

Options
  • 01-03-2019 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

I know in supermarkets, "invitation to treat" means the price on the shelf doesn't always mean how much it will cost, and I'm wondering does this apply to takeaways?

A mixed donar kebab was advertised as €7 on the sign above the counter, but I was charged €7.50

Not much, but that sort of price gouging would add up fairly quickly I'd say after a weekend. Are takeaways allowed to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

<SNIP>

Probably recently highered their prices buy havnt updated their menu yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Was it nice?
    Only for the diet I'd mill one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

<SNIP>

Invitation to treat is for all retailers not just supermarkets. You could have easily said I'll give you €6.50.

The only possible issue is with advertising but I don't think the ASAI are a statutory body so a take away won't be too worried about a letter from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Was it nice?
    Only for the diet I'd mill one now!
    Oh, very much so! Chips, lamb, breaded chicken gougons, with garlic sauce and chilli sauce on top, layered with cheese.

Really hit the spot.
    how.gareth wrote: »
    Probably recently highered their prices buy havnt updated their menu yet
    I was thinking that, but when I questioned them, they referenced a really aged and tattered looking document on the wall next to them which had their "real" price, and said that it was the correct price.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Were the chicken goujons in the kebab itself?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Were the chicken goujons in the kebab itself?
    Sorry, forgot the word tray; mixed kebab tray.

Lamb, chicken goujons, cheese, chilli, garlic sauce & chips. Seems at the JustEat menu of the place is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the_syco wrote: »
    I was thinking that, but when I questioned them, they referenced a really aged and tattered looking document on the wall next to them which had their "real" price, and said that it was the correct price.
    did it sound like they had any intention of correcting their "mistake"?

Could well be a deliberate sneaky ploy to get people to order something and know people are much less likely to back out of it and refuse to pay as it was a "custom order", and that is "only 50cent".
    Seems at the JustEat menu of the place is correct.
    just eat menus often have higher prices than the actual price if you rang or went in yourself. I imagine it is still against their rules but it still goes on. Its a bit stupid as many will check the menus online when they intend to go in themselves. A chinese place near me has all their meal deals price 1euro more on justeat. I would not have bothered with them if I had not had the real menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

A lot of chippers put up their prices recently.
    One of my favourite purchases: A portion of Onion rings has gone up in 4 chippers I can regularly use to buy them.

Different increases however, All were previously €2.50 a portion. One chipper (the tastiest by the way) raised it to €2.70

The other three raised them to €3. Robbing feckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I would be more concerned by what the aforementioned takeaway classified as lamb tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Berberis wrote: »
    A lot of chippers put up their prices recently.
    One of my favourite purchases: A portion of Onion rings has gone up in 4 chippers I can regularly use to buy them.

Different increases however, All were previously €2.50 a portion. One chipper (the tastiest by the way) raised it to €2.70

The other three raised them to €3. Robbing feckers

The local one put up single to €3 from €2.70 recently. An extra 20c on the garlic sauce as well.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The take away are probably waiting on a new menu board since the vat increase which would explain the 50 cent
    When did the VAT increase come into effect?
    magentis wrote: »
    I would be more concerned by what the aforementioned takeaway classified as lamb tbh.
    This scene perfectly describes how I feel about the brown meat that I get served; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeyC52zeSGA :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Vat increase for the hospitality trade was at the start of January

Only 4.2%. But I believe the wholesale price of potatoes has increased

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If the sign above the counter says 7 euro, then 7 euro is all they are entitled to charge.

No two ways about it, don't mind the old tattered hidden sign or vat increases or we're waiting on a new sign or the price of potatoes.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the sign above the counter says 7 euro, then 7 euro is all they are entitled to charge.

No two ways about it, don't mind the old tattered hidden sign or vat increases or we're waiting on a new sign or the price of potatoes.

This isn't correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I got the latest menu from a local in the letterbox this morning. I went to replace the one I have in my folder in the kitchen and was stunned by the price increases. Up to 50 c difference on some stuff between the two. The original menu is no more than 6 months old.

L1011 wrote: »
    This isn't correct.

It is.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It is.

Care to share the statute that cancels and supercedes the invitation to treat concept enshrined in contract law?

Care to share the statue that cancels and supercedes the invitation to treat concept enshrined in contract law?

If I had a statue to share you could have some but I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If I had a statue to share you could have some but I don't.
    The statute will do instead.

You are wrong.

The statute will do instead.

You are wrong.

God bless your ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭locohobo

4.0 Difference between offer and invitation to treat.... "An invitation to treat is when a client invites contractors to make him/her an offer." ... Making an invitation to treat, rather than an offer, protects the client from finding him/her self agreed into a contract he/she cannot fulfil.Feb 2, 2018.....

Did the takeaway guy expect you to make him an offer of what you were prepared to pay for the kebab...No!!....Then it was not an invitation to treat.....

God bless your ignorance.

You are trolling - do not post in this thread again.

locohobo wrote: »
    4.0 Difference between offer and invitation to treat.... "An invitation to treat is when a client invites contractors to make him/her an offer." ... Making an invitation to treat, rather than an offer, protects the client from finding him/her self agreed into a contract he/she cannot fulfil.Feb 2, 2018.....

Did the takeaway guy expect you to make him an offer of what you were prepared to pay for the kebab...No!!....Then it was not an invitation to treat.....

All price tags/price signs are offers to treat in Irish law - random UK copy/pastes won't change that.

Its shady business practice to not fix it once aware of it, but that's a separate problem.

Its shady business practice to not fix it once aware of it, but that's a separate problem.
    It's a damn good kebab, so I'll be going back.

Is there anything I can quote to incentivise them to correct their signage?

It's a damn good kebab, so I'll be going back.

Is there anything I can quote to incentivise them to correct their signage?

CCPC, Consumer Protection Act 2007; believe it allows fines for misleading information including prices - but it doesn't require the item to be sold at the price shown (for the benefit of other posters, not you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

The retailer is allowed to inform you of the price is wrong before you pay, and offer you the product at a different price. If they charge you more than is on the sign they have overcharged you.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭locohobo

All price tags/price signs are offers to treat in Irish law - random UK copy/pastes won't change that.

Short reply....See post #29

None of them force the provider to sell at the advertised price or get you a refund postfacto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't see how that is a reply to his post.

my reply in many consumer threads is to simply think of extremes. If legally required to sell at an advertised price some scumbag would get his mate to walk into BMW dealerships and put 10euro signs on all the cars, then 10mins later he snaps them all up. Hell they could even put ads in the papers and hand out flyers! Why is this not happening?

People have been asked to quote the actual laws, none have as per usual. I want something off www.irishstatutebook.ie

Advertisement