Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of new engine, 2006 Nissan Note

• 02-03-2019 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know approximately the cost of an Engine for a
    2006 Nissan Note?? And best place to have it fitted ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

Diesel or petrol? Little bit more info is needed for anybody to give you advice. Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Oops! wrote: »
    Diesel or petrol? Little bit more info is needed for anybody to give you advice. Where are you based?
    Sorry petrol 1.4 Acenta am in Co. wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Probably more than the car is worth unfortunately, putting a new engine in a <1000 euro car is not very economical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Reconditioned engine, fitted, €1,500 or so. New engine €2.2 - 2.5k

You would get a well kept 2006/07 complete car for that in Ireland or UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

What happens with old engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring local mechanics, they will give you quotes.

The used engine does not cost a load, but installation cost. It is not the rocket science, you can do it. Source the used engine, typically something 200-300eur for that car, buy(about 200-300eur)/rent the engine lifting tool and DIY. Only remember to check the clutch before the installation. If it worn out, replace entire clutch kit. The used engine needs the new timing belt, idler wheel, tension roller and the water pump too. The last one (the water pump) are not so critical, but it is easy to replace on same time as timing belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

w211 wrote: »
    The used engine does not cost a load, but installation cost. It is not the rocket science, you can do it. Source the used engine, typically something 200-300eur for that car, buy(about 200-300eur)/rent the engine lifting tool and DIY. Only remember to check the clutch before the installation. If it worn out, replace entire clutch kit. The used engine needs the new timing belt, idler wheel, tension roller and the water pump too. The last one (the water pump) are not so critical, but it is easy to replace on same time as timing belt.

I’m all on for encouraging people to get stuck in and do a bit of DIY but this is taking it to new levels..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Rennaws wrote: »
    I’m all on for encouraging people to get stuck in and do a bit of DIY but this is taking it to new levels..

Ha ha .....this is what I was thinking .... sure...what could go wrong...

Ha ha .....this is what I was thinking .... sure...what could go wrong...
    This is not the rocket science

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some base of reference around the OP's predicament:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057958515

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

This is not the rocket science

We all can do a bit of DIY, I can replace brake pads and other little things, but not a chance I would even attempt engine swap.

There are also random bits of tools needed, but sure Halford will get you sorted in minutes. Maybe another person to help out, if you have a kid you can ask him/her to give you a hand.

What else are we missing :)

Replacing fuses is not rocket science. Engine swap is for most.

Ok we are living on different planets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

100% agree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

I'm not sure there's too many people on here living on your planet!

ml100 wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's too many people on here living on your planet!
    That really hurts me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That really hurts me

Engine slip off the crane?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Engine slip off the crane?
    The note engine and gearbox are so tiny, no need the crane at all.

Do you know how I made my engine swap about 30 years ago? It sounds funny but 100% true story. By tree branch and the rope. The engine was heavier than nissan note one. These days are such a fancy cranes and still people struggle. I am sure that post can qualify the "funniest post of the year 2019".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm sure the OP like most of us, has all the tools and a hoist needed to swap an engine out just sitting at home but is too lazy to do it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Everyone, stop with the DIY discussion. It's not helping OP, just dragging the thread offtopic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP, this is simply not going to be worth it in the end. I can only presume you bought your note for quite cheap, if so the best option is to just go again and buy something else. Engine swaps are inherently messy, and you don't know the condition of the replacement engine nor the rest of the car you've just bought. You've been stung here, but I think moving on is the best course of action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

OP, this is simply not going to be worth it in the end. I can only presume you bought your note for quite cheap, if so the best option is to just go again and buy something else. Engine swaps are inherently messy, and you don't know the condition of the replacement engine nor the rest of the car you've just bought. You've been stung here, but I think moving on is the best course of action.

Agreed , plus the engine is only one of a number of critical components on a car that have a mileage limited timespan, and from op's other threads it appears 330,000 km on a Note is end of life territory/scrap only.

The note engine and gearbox are so tiny, no need the crane at all.

Do you know how I made my engine swap about 30 years ago? It sounds funny but 100% true story. By tree branch and the rope. The engine was heavier than nissan note one. These days are such a fancy cranes and still people struggle. I am sure that post can qualify the "funniest post of the year 2019".

I killed my dad's turboed Sierra's engine with some slightly enthusiastic driving back in 90's. Brother and myself lifted the heavy cast iron OHC block from the car using a birch tree trunk and rope after I had reduced the weight stripping down the Cosworth head and ancillaries from it. Those were the times. The next time I swapped an engine I invested in a crane though :-) As W211 says it's not rocket science but not suitable as a first project for a budding DIY hero either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

samih wrote: »
    I killed my dad's turboed Sierra's engine with some slightly enthusiastic driving back in 90's. Brother and myself lifted the heavy cast iron OHC block from the car using a birch tree trunk and rope after I had reduced the weight stripping down the Cosworth head and ancillaries from it. Those were the times. The next time I swapped an engine I invested in a crane though :-) As W211 says it's not rocket science but not suitable as a first project for a budding DIY hero either.

Old cars where easier to do swapping the engine is the easy bit, getting it going after is the hard bit. Modern cars are a pain that even some garages don't want to deal with. The risk of blowing the main ECU is the least of the potential problems when swapping modern engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

samih wrote: »

Used ropes around my body, trolley jacks, tractors, a Peugeot 406 etc to remove and install engines where I had no access to a crane over the years. A bit of engineering to get to that level, but incomparable to aerospace engineering ;)

You'd want to be a complete cabbage to suggest a newbie to DIY to complete an engine swap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Used ropes around my body, trolley jacks, tractors, a Peugeot 406 etc to remove and install engines where I had no access to a crane over the years. A bit of engineering to get to that level, but incomparable to aerospace engineering ;)

You'd want to be a complete cabbage to suggest a newbie to DIY to complete an engine swap

Especially as the op has stated she's a granny . (Elsewhere)

Advertisement