Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Extension

• 02-03-2019 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

Myself and my partner are looking into building an extension on to her parents home with the aim to have this as a separate dwelling. At the dreaming stage so just looking for some guidance/advice at this point.

Thinking of an approx size of 80sq m. We will need 2 bedrooms, bathroom & open plan kitchen/living area.

Will it be possible to get a mortgage/loan for this? Her name will be on the deeds I believe, but from my perspective would it be an issue to lend to jointly fund this?

As far as I can tell, first steps will be going to an architect to draw up plans in order to submit an application for planning permission? Then get quotes from builders etc? Not too sure where to start on this but will also be getting advice from family/friends.

This is a rural area, and there has been one similar extension done a number of years back so I believe the planning shouldn't be an issue. Does anyone know if you can deviate from the style of the houses in the area? I.e. a more modern look. This will be at the back of the house (there is no view from the main road but there is laneway access).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You need planning for a new dwelling, not an extension.
    Talk to a local planning agent as you may need to comply with local needs etc
    You’ll also have parking, open space and drainage requirements.

Pre-planning is a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

kceire wrote: »
    You need planning for a new dwelling, not an extension.
    Talk to a local planning agent as you may need to comply with local needs etc
    You’ll also have parking, open space and drainage requirements.

Pre-planning is a must.

An 80sqm extension will need planning permission.

Check requirements here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is there debt on the house already?

How can your partner's name be on the deeds if the whole site is owned by her parents.
    Are in fact building a separate dwelling on the site, using the word extension suggest it will be attached to the existing house, or is this just to try fool the planners?

If a separate dwelling, apart form what KC said, what about services, access, splitting the site, transfer of title, etc

You need to be clearer on what you have in mind

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

el_gaucho wrote: »
    An 80sqm extension will need planning permission.

Check requirements here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

Its not an extension.
    It’s a new dwelling the OP wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ggkoy

Is there debt on the house already?

How can your partner's name be on the deeds if the whole site is owned by her parents.
    Are in fact building a separate dwelling on the site, using the word extension suggest it will be attached to the existing house, or is this just to try fool the planners?

If a separate dwelling, apart form what KC said, what about services, access, splitting the site, transfer of title, etc

You need to be clearer on what you have in mind

No debt on the house & her name will be added as above.
    No it won't be a separate dwelling. It will be an extension.. linked to the original house in some way but essentially will have the extended part as a separate dwelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Ggkoy

kceire wrote: »
    Its not an extension.
    It’s a new dwelling the OP wants.

Sorry if it's unclear. Want to build on to the existing home - so it's an extension. Possibly linked by a hallway or something where her parents will live in the original house and we will live in the extended part.
    This was done by a neighbour in the past.

Ggkoy wrote: »
    Sorry if it's unclear. Want to build on to the existing home - so it's an extension. Possibly linked by a hallway or something where her parents will live in the original house and we will live in the extended part.
    This was done by a neighbour in the past.

Ok this changes the scope then.
    It’s a granny flat (ancillary family accommodation) that you need.

May not require the pre planning as there should be a section in the council development plan outlining this.

Advertisement