Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with LG TV purchased in Currys

Options
  • 02-03-2019 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

My LG TV has developed a fault that becomes apparent when the TV is warmed up. The TV will be 5 years old this November so obviously out of warranty.

It was bought from Currys. They have this on their website

Television Repairs
    Our fully trained engineers can repair most types of TVs – whether it’s an LED, LCD or Plasma.
    It doesn’t matter where you purchased your television, our experts can fix the problem at our state-of-the-art repair lab.

When you phone to book a repair, we’ll arrange a suitable time for our Team Knowhow team to visit your home to collect your TV. We ask for an upfront fee of €100 which is for labour and delivery costs. When your TV arrives at our repair lab we will let you know if there are any further costs for parts as soon as possible. If you want to continue with the repair, we take payment over the phone, or if you would prefer not to proceed we’ll deliver your television straight back to you.

If you go ahead with the repair and we cannot fix your TV, we’ll refund all your costs in full. When the repair is completed, your television will be thoroughly tested, boxed up and delivered back to your home at a convenient time for you.

We offer a 3 month repair guarantee for the fault we repaired on your television.

Can’t get your TV to work?

But what about this.

Statutory rights are provided for by legislation (Irish law and EU law as transposed in Ireland). ... Consumers may rely on their statutory rights regardless of whether an item has a warranty or not. Under Irish law, consumers have up to six years to seek redress for faulty or defective items (both new and second-hand).Mar 19, 2015

https://www.eccireland.ie/ecc-ireland-issues-advisory-on-consumer-warranties-and-statutory-rights/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Should I refuse to hand over any money and demand they repair the TV??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Antrim_Man wrote: »

The consumer rights you quoted entitles you to make a claim up to six years after you bought the item, it does not mean the item has to last for 6 years nor that the vendor has to refund/repair/replace for up to 6 years.

I suppose you have to ask yourself how much the TV is worth now, and whether it is worth paying the cost of repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Antrim_Man wrote:

Are you an antrim man living in the republic? The laws in Ireland work far better for consumers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts split out from older thread and moved to a new thread

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends on the TV. If it cost 2K when you got it 5 years ago then you'd have somewhat of a case if you went to the small claims court (or told Currys you would be doing same unless they agree to repair it).

If it was a more basic 500 euro model, at five years old a SCC action would be pointless, and even the cost of repair might not be worth it versus just getting a new TV.

• Advertisement

Im in Bray. Doesn't sound like its worth the hassle TBH. I might let them take it and if the repair is going to be say €200 I'll reject that and then theres no fee.

Edit, looks like €100 even if you dont want to pay for additional costs, so €100 just to examine it.

Any recommend someone who would look at the TV first before charging lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unless it's a very good TV I'd probably just get a new one, the cost of repair will likely be pretty high on top of the 100 inspection and carriage fee.

These days you can get pretty decent sets for 500 with a bit of research (a lot of crap in that price range too) and you'd have the benefit of a couple of years warranty as well. Richer Sounds have something like a 5 year warranty on all their TV's, to make it even easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Antrim_Man wrote: »

Any recommend someone who would look at the TV first before charging lol
    I would check it out online, make & model and symptoms. There is loads of info out there now, and many models can have a particular fault which may or may not be worth fixing, the failed component can often be replaced with a higher spec one. Even if you are not competent to fix it yourself you can see if it is worth looking into. You might know someone who could do it, but do the research yourself first.

Unless it's a very good TV I'd probably just get a new one, the cost of repair will likely be pretty high on top of the 100 inspection and carriage fee.

These days you can get pretty decent sets for 500 with a bit of research (a lot of crap in that price range too) and you'd have the benefit of a couple of years warranty as well. Richer Sounds have something like a 5 year warranty on all their TV's, to make it even easier.
    Yeah but I heard someone questioning that they might not last another 5 years themselves?

rubadub wrote: »
    I would check it out online, make & model and symptoms. There is loads of info out there now, and many models can have a particular fault which may or may not be worth fixing, the failed component can often be replaced with a higher spec one. Even if you are not competent to fix it yourself you can see if it is worth looking into. You might know someone who could do it, but do the research yourself first.
    Exhausted looking. I did remove and clean cables from the LVDS card but it made no difference. Console repairs in Bray will look at it with a €25 deposit. No fix no pay, that's spot on so I'll drop it into them.

If it is that card they are on ebay for 20€, beats €500+ for a replacement. I could have done this myself, even a psu is only about 40€

• Advertisement

The screen pulses between clear and lined as in the picture after its warmed up

Advertisement