Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading PC

Options
  • 02-03-2019 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Cooler Master Hyper TX3, alle Socke
    ASUS P8H67-M LE Rev 3.0, Sockel 1155, mATX, DDR3
    Intel Core i3-2100 Box, LGA1155
    Seasonic S12II-430 Bronze, 430 Watt
    8GB GeIL Green Series DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10660 CL9 Single memory module 1.35V
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA
    Xigmatek Asgard III Midi Tower - black, ohne Netzteil
    Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Retail
    TP-Link TL-WN781N, 150Mbps, PCIe x1

I was thinking of upgrading to a bigger SSD since they're so cheap now. And my question is just about what processor to upgrade to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can get an i7-2600 for about 70 euro 2nd hand, big upgrade and still a good processor even in 2019. Between that and an SSD you'd be sorted for general day-to-day use, if you're using it as a media PC you could forego the i7-2600 and instead get a GT1030 for a similar price that'd decode everything via card hardware instead of the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Thanks for the reply. I don't use it for media or gaming. Should I upgrade the MB to get the full use out of a SSD?

I've extra graphics card, so I don't think I've a spare pci slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What do you use the computer for?

You could get faster RAM as you only have 1333MHz at the minute. And I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that MB has SATA III already so SSD should work at full speed. Unless you are talking about buying a NVMe SSD then yes you would need a new motherboard. But you can also buy a PCIe adaptor and install a NVMe SSD that way but you would have to be using the on board GPU due to the low number of PCIe lanes available.

Advertisement