Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Collection Final Notice?

Options
  • 02-03-2019 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I received a letter today from Dublin City Council addressed to "Householder, Dublin 8" stating it's a final notice to provide them information about waste collection and I needed a statement from my waste provider dated within the last 28 days by Saturday 9th. I never received a first notice, though the letter claims I did on Feb 23rd.

My waste provider (Thornton's) only routinely provide annual statements. Between them, all I get is a lift charges section on their website, and my most recent annual statement came in September, so I'm not sure that meets the council's criteria, or if they'd accept a screenshot of the website. Given both the council and Thornton's office only work M-F 9-5, I'm not sure there's time to get a written statement from Thorton's posted to me then forwarded on to the council with the final notice form.

Has anyone else encountered this? As far as I can tell they seem legit, but I'm not sure what happened with the missing first notice and vague address. Going to call the council on Monday to verify this (and if valid) try get the time extended to something reasonable because of the missing first notice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I'd say they'd accept the last statement and a screenshot of the website as long as one or more of these includes the thorntons reference number.

I would send this to them and ask them what else they want.

The reason they are coming to you is most likely that they don't have a proper address for you. Once they have a reference number they will most likely check it with Thorntons and then leave you alone.

a.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Got the same letter, despite a conversation with them more than a year back, when I pointed out that those of us with bag collections, rather than wheelie bins, have no ability to provide evidence of waste disposal purchases. The bags don’t have any retainable tags, unlike the stickers of old, and the packs are bought from local shops that don’t provide itemised receipts. Ridiculous cack-handed approach to the problem of dumping by the city council.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

alastair wrote: »
    Got the same letter, despite a conversation with them more than a year back, when I pointed out that those of us with bag collections, rather than wheelie bins, have no ability to provide evidence of waste disposal purchases. The bags don’t have any retainable tags, unlike the stickers of old, and the packs are bought from local shops that don’t provide itemised receipts. Ridiculous cack-handed approach to the problem of dumping by the city council.

Just tell the council which shop you buy them in and let them go down and sort it out with the shopkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

alastair wrote: »
    Don't you need a card to buy the stickers?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Victor wrote: »
    Don't you need a card to buy the stickers?

The stickers are long gone, but you could buy them, and the current bags, without any card/ID. At least the stickers came with tags you could retain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement