Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Acer X3300 from Dual to Quad core

Options
  • 02-03-2019 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

I bought an Acer X3300 many years ago. At the time I opted for a dual core but was aware that there was a quad core available. I also installed Nvidia Gforce GTX 750 Ti graphics card (Best card I could find for the low profile case)... I also increased the RAM.

The PC has served me well. It still runs games such as CSGO, TF2, L4D2, HL2 between 60 and 100 FPS which I'm pleased with.
    It does however struggle slightly with the likes of Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1. Looks like an FPS of around 30-40.

I would like to upgrade this PC with a new mother board and processors (From dual core to Quad core) but I don't know too much about these things.
    I'm not really keen on spending too much as it's not a priority at the moment.

Can someone recommend the following:

1)
    A replacement motherboard that accepts quad core (Assuming that the current Motherboard doesn't).

Quad core processor that is compatible with the replacement motherboard.

Also: The PC runs windows 10. Will I be able to retain the windows license when fitting a new motherboard and processor?
    Are there any other issues I may run into?
    Will it be a matter of just swapping the motherboard and processor out?

Pictures of the motherboard, processor and system specs in control panel attached.
    I'd appreciate any advice... I haven't a clue where to start.

Current motherboard specs:
    DA078L-AM3
    08166-1
    48.3c401.011

Current processor specs:
    AMD Athlon II
    ADX2400CK23GQ
    NAIC AE 0935DFA
    9A19514I90895

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You could swap in a quad but that platform is so old its probably worth an upgrade. If it were Intel of the same vintage the Q6/9XXX are nice chips but Athlon2 hasnt held up as well.

Google says that board is M-ATX so assuming Acer didnt bodge in some custom PSU you can upgrade in situ.
    You will need:
    New CPU
    New Mobo
    New RAM

Windows may or may not deauthorize. Its a bit of a lottery when it does. MS will re-enable it if you call them though and explain the cause.

If you post a budget we can suggest a list of parts to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definitely need a new machine. Even the best quad core for that platform is hopelessly outdated, Battlefield 4 would see an improvement but stuff like BF1 would still chug on something like an X4 640.

750ti is not great for new games either, BF1 would really only run at low settings @ 60fps even with a good new CPU.

The cheapest option is to just get a 2nd hand machine on Ebay for 200E with an i7-3770, 8GB DDR3 and throw in your 750Ti, look at upgrading that at a later date. Something like a HP Z220 which has a six-pin power connector for full size cards that require additional power.

You could also get something like a Ryzen 1600, A320M + 8GB DDR4 for a bit more and re-use your old case/power supply/hard drive, but then you are still limited to low profile graphics that do not require 6-pin.

1050Ti currently the best but would set you back about 180.... but can get a 2nd hand full size RX570 that's way faster and needs six-pin power for about 110 2nd hand for example.

If you can spare about 500 you could get a whole new solid build, including new case and SSD, that'd run all the latest games at high settings effortlessly, Ryzen 2600, 8GB DDR4, RX570, 500GB SSD, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

Thanks for the advice.
    I hadn't quite realized that gaming PCs had become so cheap over the years.
    You've given me a bit to think about.

A friend suggested these two:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072DXLRDD/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_zbRECbGNN6R82

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072DXLRDD/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_zbRECbGNN6R82

Are they any good for what I need?

Advertisement