Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop won't accept return of the special order

• 02-03-2019 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

We bought a few packs of laminate flooring from one of the stores in Dublin 18, following the visit to their shop. Now we want to return it as we changed our mind.

In the payment receipt we got from them it says - items can be returned within 7 days, subject to 15% restocking fee, except "special order" cases. I rang the shop and they told me that they can't accept my return as it's a special order.

The item can be seen and ordered in the shop - it's a regular flooring after all, but what it made it a special order is the fact that they had to order it from the UK as they don't physically stock it.

Question is what are my chances here, we paid circa 900 euro for it, and are happy to lose 15%, but not the full amount. Is there a point in contacting any regulatory body or I'm on my own here.

thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Shops are under no obligation to refund any product if you change your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Did you know it was a special order?

If it’s on their website and there’s no indication that it’s not a stocked item and that ordering it would be a special order I’d feel hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

<SNIP>
    You say you rang them. Maybe worth a try to physically go to the store as over the phone they migh be chancing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say there referring to the quantity, it's not much use to anyone besides you as it was to fit a certain space and ordered especially for you.
    They don't have to take it back. Maybe if your buying something else they might do something besides that it's yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭GalwayBmw

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    You say you rang them. Maybe worth a try to physically go to the store as over the phone they migh be chancing it!

I've been to the shop recently for a different reason, they are nice people indeed, they explained that they don't do returns due to the actual manufacturer won't be accepting them. I just thought it would be a case of having a higher precedent low protecting my rights as a consumer.

It's ain't no 50 quid purchase after all, be honest that makes me feel like a setup target, they had me, now all I can do it to absorb the damage. The laminate is still in the original packaging, I'm happy to pay restocking fee - what's the problem now?

• Advertisement

I'd say there referring to the quantity, it's not much use to anyone besides you as it was to fit a certain space and ordered especially for you.
    They don't have to take it back. Maybe if your buying something else they might do something besides that it's yours.

Sorry but makes no sense. How can factory boxes be made just for me? They just standard packaging, standard size, standard model of laminate available for ordering either in the shop or over the phone.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

You changed your mind though. The store can return it via goodwill, they're not under any obligation to take it back. Whether that's good business sense or not is a different story, but the fact they won't take it back suggests they know themselves they won't be able to resell it, and ultimately have the loss themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

eBay or donedeal may be your only option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

GalwayBmw wrote: »
    I've been to the shop recently for a different reason, they are nice people indeed, they explained that they don't do returns due to the actual manufacturer won't be accepting them. I just thought it would be a case of having a higher precedent low protecting my rights as a consumer.

It's ain't no 50 quid purchase after all, be honest that makes me feel like a setup target, they had me, now all I can do it to absorb the damage. The laminate is still in the original packaging, I'm happy to pay restocking fee - what's the problem now?

Well if they can’t get their money back then they are stuck with a specific amount of that particular flooring that may take years to shift. They would basically be paying for you changing your mind.
    Its a pain but I don’t think there is a lot you can do beyond just asking them again.

In that case, special order or not, they are under no obligation to return due to change of mind and its an offer to treat by saying they offer return/restock fee. There will be Ts & Cs somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Oops!

Was the product damaged or not fit for purpose? You say it was'nt and you just changed your mind... Sorry, as stated in the terms they are under no obligation to take it back.

What it makes you feel like is irrelevant.... It's a special order.... They don't have to take the hit

Donedeal.ie

Sorry but makes no sense. How can factory boxes be made just for me? They just standard packaging, standard size, standard model of laminate available for ordering either in the shop or over the phone.

The quantity of boxes you ordered in specially is only good for your job.

antodeco wrote: »
    You changed your mind though. The store can return it via goodwill, they're not under any obligation to take it back. Whether that's good business sense or not is a different story, but the fact they won't take it back suggests they know themselves they won't be able to resell it, and ultimately have the loss themselves.

I did. I'm sure no sellers genuinely like returns. It's always more hassle for a seller, but there's such thing consumer rights protection. If you buy a pair jeans you can return it, if you buy a freezer you can return it, if you buy laminate you can't - why? how is it different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Oops!

I did. I'm sure no sellers genuinely like returns. It's always more hassle for a seller, but there's such thing consumer rights protection. If you buy a pair jeans you can return it, if you buy a freezer you can return it, if you buy laminate you can't - why? how is it different.

A pair of jeans yes, 900 euro worth of jeans because you have changed your mind and dont like the colour.... no.

But if you simply change your mind about something you bought in a shop and decide you don't want to keep it, you do not have any rights under consumer law. Some shops offer to accept returns and give you an exchange or refund within a certain amount of time after the purchase.
    Changing your mind - The Competition and Consumer ...
    https://www.ccpc.ie › buying-goods › ch...

No you can't return any of the items you listed unless the shop offers a return on them.
    You have no right to return anything there is no fault with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-goods/changing-your-mind/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You don’t have the right to return these things unless they are damaged etc just lots of shops will accept returns but it’s not required by law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

No, sorry OP, that's just shop policy/goodwill if a shop will accept such a return. Consumer rights protects for faulty and mis-sold purchases, not change of mind.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I'd day that closes the dispute for me.

Consumer protection doesn’t apply here as it’s a change of mind. All that matter is whether this was a special order or not and as I said above it they advertise this product on their site and make no mention of it being a special order product I’d feel hard done by.

You could try the small claims court, your argument being that this wasn’t a special order and if it was you should have been made aware it was outside the shops returns policy.

Now you could go and politely ask them if they could give you a credit note as opposed to a refund?

Or you could put it up on ebay etc?

Thanks for that. I'd day that closes the dispute for me.
    This is what your your thinking of https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-online/if-things-dont-go-as-planned/
    If you bought them on their website you could return them.

Now you could go and politely ask them if they could give you a credit note as opposed to a refund?

Or you could put it up on ebay etc?

Looks like is's the only option. I've 25 sq.m. laminate for sale (suitable for usage in commercial premises), offers taken!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

amcalester wrote: »

You could try the small claims court, your argument being that this wasn’t a special order and if it was you should have been made aware it was outside the shops returns policy.

The OP will be wasting the money for the order and postage. It's a change of mind. Literally nothing that makes the shop liable for returning it.

This is what your your thinking of https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-online/if-things-dont-go-as-planned/
    If you bought them on their website you could return them.

I was in the shop, then I rang them and paid over the phone. Does it only apply to purchases made online via the website payment form?

antodeco wrote: »
    The OP will be wasting the money for the order and postage. It's a change of mind. Literally nothing that makes the shop liable for returning it.

The shops own T&C’s allow for returns except where it was a special order, unless the OP was informed this was a special order the SCC may decide in his favour.

For the sake of €25 it’s worth a try, he stands to gain nearly €800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

amcalester wrote: »
    The shops own T&C’s allow for returns except where it was a special order, unless the OP was informed this was a special order the SCC may decide in his favour.

For the sake of €25 it’s worth a try, he stands to gain nearly €800.

Aren’t change of mind returns totally at the discretion of the shop and not covered by the SoGaSA? How would SCC decide on something that is at the discretion of the vendor?

• Advertisement

I was in the shop, then I rang them and paid over the phone. Does it only apply to purchases made online via the website payment form?

Distance selling applies when your not physically in the store. So yes paying by card over the phone would count. Now I'm not sure what happens when the deal was done in the store and you simply called up to pay.

Advertisement