Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Preacher!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

There are some miracles not even a God could manage.

He's a United fan anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sevenshades

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    If that's his opinion what's the problem?

The problem is people have no choice but to hear it if they're in Red Square. I don't agree with anyone rocking up with an amp and mike whether its him, pan pipers or regular busking (leaving proper advertised performance/festivals out naturally). People should have the choice of whether they want to hear something or not on a public street without it being shoved down their throats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

He's a United fan anyway!

She's a Spurs fan. Always promising the Rapture is at hand, but always comes to naught in the end.

The guy is entitled to free speech, but not free broadcasting.

She's a Spurs fan. Always promising the Rapture is at hand, but always comes to naught in the end.

The guy is entitled to free speech, but not free broadcasting.

They (The Jews) crucified his son so he's definitely not supporting them!

He's a Red! A Manchester Red! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    If that's his opinion what's the problem?

Are you serious?

So it would be okay for him to shout racist remarks aswell as homophobic just because its his opinion?

Please think about what you just said....

• Advertisement

Are you serious?

So it would be okay for him to shout racist remarks aswell as homophobic just because its his opinion?

Please think about what you just said....

But he's not shouting racist remarks!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

As someone who regularly uses the Barronstrand Street Area for business I have to say I dont mind him BUT I dont like to see him being villainized for preaching.

Hes actually a decent guy whos quite witty and loves an intellectual debate on theology and modern culture, Plus hes a much better singer / musician than most of the monotones which haunt the area.

As for all the Pontious Pilates here wanting him crucified for preaching his beliefs would want to chill out and cop on to the real issues on the streets ie organised begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No hes not but a pp just stated that the preacher was shouting that gays will burn in hell.

Someone said above 'if thats his opinion leave him off' they cant be serious? So anyone can shout their opinion around town even if extremely offensive and sadistic?

No hes not but a pp just stated that the preacher was shouting that gays will burn in hell.

Someone said above 'if thats his opinion leave him off' they cant be serious? So anyone can shout their opinion around town even if extremely offensive and sadistic?

And maybe they will burn in hell! Who's to know?
    But there will be quite an amount of others that will be there with them!
    That's a definite certainty!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

And maybe they will burn in hell! Who's to know? But there will be quite an amount of others that will be there with them! That's a definite certainty!

If your gay, I wouldn't worry about it, there's a very good chance there's no hell

• Advertisement

Hes actually a decent guy whos quite witty and loves an intellectual debate on theology and modern culture, Plus hes a much better singer / musician than most of the monotones which haunt the area.

He can preach, debate, tell jokes, sing and play music anywhere he wants whenever he wants as long as he puts the microphone down.

He can preach, debate, tell jokes, sing and play music anywhere he wants whenever he wants as long as he puts the microphone down.

That's what I used to say about Billy McCarthy for years but old news now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 little secret 1987

People today shouting "shut up " at him! Now is there any need for that? He is obviously not well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As someone who regularly uses the Barronstrand Street Area for business I have to say I dont mind him BUT I dont like to see him being villainized for preaching.

As for all the Pontious Pilates here wanting him crucified for preaching his beliefs would want to chill out and cop on to the real issues on the streets ie organised begging.

Thanks for that The Preacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Here's my opinion on the matter. I've seen this guy in action in town and he can be quite annoying to be honest. But I've also been annoyed at the guy who constantly played lead guitar with an amp. It seems people want to apply a law to silence this guy because he uses an amp and mic so would this be applied this to other people? So maybe a ban on amplifiers?

OR are they trying to silence him for what he is saying? If that's so then that could translate to a ban on preaching, bit of a step backwards in my opinion. If you don't like him because you don't like what he's saying I think that's insufficient to ban him. John Stuart Mill believed in freedom of speech to the point that it didn't harm someone else. I don't exactly see any harm in what he is saying.

So maybe a ban on amplifiers?

Yes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No, he's shouting homophobic remarks.
    Unless you think such bigoted comments are fine?
    And maybe they will burn in hell! Who's to know?
    But there will be quite an amount of others that will be there with them!
    That's a definite certainty!

So applying your logic if he said all black people will burn in hell, its a case of who's to know so that makes it ok?
    :rolleyes:

I don't know about you, but Ireland has moved on from the closed minded, bigoted views pushed by religion on our citizens.

Nobody should have to walk down a street with some bigot shouting about how they'll burn in hell.
    People today shouting "shut up " at him! Now is there any need for that? He is obviously not well

Using TheQuietFella's logic it's perfectly fine for anyone to express their opinion by telling him to shut up. In their view, they clearly think he should shut up, most reasonable people would think the same when it comes to a person expressing bigoted and hateful views,

Cabaal wrote: »
    No, he's shouting homophobic remarks.
    Unless you think such bigoted comments are fine?

So applying your logic if he said all black people will burn in hell, its a case of who's to know so that makes it ok?
    :rolleyes:

I don't know about you, but Ireland has moved on from the closed minded, bigoted views pushed by religion on our citizens.

Nobody should have to walk down a street with some bigot shouting about how they'll burn in hell.

Using TheQuietFella's logic it's perfectly fine for anyone to express their opinion by telling him to shut up. In their view, they clearly think he should shut up, most reasonable people would think the same when it comes to a person expressing bigoted and hateful views,

Terrific character analysis of a guy doing no harm to anyone!
    He may be a little misguided but aren't we all at times!

The number for The Samaritans is 051 872 114 (local call charges apply)
    if you feel that you need to talk to someone about your issues! :D

Out of curiosity - does he drive every day and pay for parking? Would you ever see him in any restaurants or cafes for his lunch / dinner etc?

Out of curiosity - does he drive every day and pay for parking? Would you ever see him in any restaurants or cafes for his lunch / dinner etc?

Why would you ask such a thing?
    No ones business what he does!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I think that there should be a by law about amplifiers. The electric guitar fella does my head in just as much.

I’d be all for this. It’s particularly unfair when there are other buskers down the street playing acoustically, and you can barely hear them. I’d also do away with radio station blaster casters and the loud music they have during the summer. The main square of the city on a Saturday afternoon is not the place for it. Move it to the park by all means. Spraoi and other festivals should be the only exceptions. Convenient cover for getting rid of the preacher’s microphone!

Why would you ask such a thing?
    No ones business what he does!

If it's no ones business what he does why did you start the thread .

I'm merely curious if he ever takes a break or supports the business community around the city centre, also with the cost of parking it must cost him a fortune to be there 7 days a week from am to PM.

If it's no ones business what he does why did you start the thread .

I'm merely curious if he ever takes a break or supports the business community around the city centre, also with the cost of parking it must cost him a fortune to be there 7 days a week from am to PM.

I started this thread in order to try and defend the guy from idiots!
    Quite obviously then there are too many idiots out there! :D

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/02/27/84367/

Why are you so concerned or troubled as to whom he supports if at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence or responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Just out of curiosity how many people here actually spend regular time in the city.

How many of you have walked passed the black cubicle on the Quay and seen two or three individuals leave.

How many of you have seen people in sleeping bags on thr Quay, or been asked by young lady for a fiver for the "bus". The council may tackle this preacher, but when will thr stop the begging, the homelessness, they harassing.

This preacher isn't my top priority.

I started this thread in order to try and defend the guy from idiots!
    Quite obviously then there are too many idiots out there! :D

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/02/27/84367/

Why are you so concerned or troubled as to whom he supports if at all?

I am a believer in free speech, move with the times, theres are preachers of his style in every major city across the world.

I'm not overly concerned, I'm in fact impressed that the man can put in a 10 hour hour shift preaching without taking a break for lunch or dinner. Hes theres from very early in the morning to late in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Just out of curiosity how many people here actually spend regular time in the city.

How many of you have walked passed the black cubicle on the Quay and seen two or three individuals leave.

How many of you have seen people in sleeping bags on thr Quay, or been asked by young lady for a fiver for the "bus". The council may tackle this preacher, but when will thr stop the begging, the homelessness, they harassing.

This preacher isn't my top priority.

Exactly. Well said.

In the grand scheme of things the preacher is the least of the towns worries yet some here are acting as if he is ruining the place. I bet places like Dublin/Cork/Limerick etc would trade with us a million times over if they could have the preacher instead of the scangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

alta stare wrote: »
    Exactly. Well said.

In the grand scheme of things the preacher is the least of the towns worries yet some here are acting as if he is ruining the place. I bet places like Dublin/Cork/Limerick etc would trade with us a million times over if they could have the preacher instead of the scangers.

Who on here has "acted as if he is ruining the place"?

Just one example will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

What about getting rid of the junkies? The town is like Calcutta with all the hard luck stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

kuang1 wrote: »
    Who on here has "acted as if he is ruining the place"?

Just one example will do.

It was a figure of speech. People are going on about him as if he is turning people away from that area or that he is disrupting their workspace etc. I accept he may be annoying to listen to but as alluded to the town has worse problems and those problems are very much in sight and mind.

Advertisement