Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Mondeo; metallic/tin noise happening when pressing & releasing the clutch

• 02-03-2019 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭

Have a Ford Mondeo, and during the last week, I'm noticing a metallic/tin noise happening when pressing & releasing the clutch. A mate said it may be the spring, but wondering if it could be anything else?

Also, how hard/easy would it be to replace the spring? Garage only job, or can I do it myself?

Finally, if the noise is there, how long before it fails? Would there be anything that could be causing this failure, or would it just be age? Car is about 11 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

the_syco wrote: »
    Have a Ford Mondeo, and during the last week, I'm noticing a metallic/tin noise happening when pressing & releasing the clutch. A mate said it may be the spring, but wondering if it could be anything else?

Also, how hard/easy would it be to replace the spring? Garage only job, or can I do it myself?

Finally, if the noise is there, how long before it fails? Would there be anything that could be causing this failure, or would it just be age? Car is about 11 years old.

Sounds like the dmf . Is it diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

DMF it could wobble on the idle to somewhere 2500rpm or up.

When you replaced the clutch, did you ordered the entire clutch kit or just the clutch? The kit are expensive but can save for you load of money, because every repair cost money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jamemid wrote: »
    Sounds like the dmf . Is it diesel?
    No. It's a 2L Petrol.
    w211 wrote: »
    DMF it could wobble on the idle to somewhere 2500rpm or up.

When you replaced the clutch, did you ordered the entire clutch kit or just the clutch? The kit are expensive but can save for you load of money, because every repair cost money.
    I have not repaired anything yet.

So first car owner? or already 2nd, 3th, 4th?
    Petrol, your mate told to you bs.
    The clutch "spring" name are the clutch pressure plate. Yes these can fail if the previous owners (if there was any) count the money and sis not bought the full clutch kit. It may damage your flywheel if there are loose parts on the clutch housing. Yes you can DIY but it is not easy. Not because it is difficult, sometimes there are so hard to access to the bolts/nuts.

DIY temporary garage!If you have access to excavator and the suitable land for digging, you can make a small trench. Long-long time ago nobody did not had a car lifts, only the trenches. Sure not that type more like concrete, wooden or metal. Only be careful, if your soil are loose you can make only very small one. Even that helps a load to get better access to under the car. Some timber and wooden blocks can make the gearbox handling easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Hi OP, sounds like you have a clutch pressure plate issue. The 2.0 engine isn't too bad to remove, no need to drop subframe. A couple of axle stands and a decent jack will suffice. Expect to pay around 350-400 in a garage for same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some posts not helping OP removed

People, be helpful to OP thanks

So first car owner? or already 2nd, 3th, 4th?
    At least 3rd. The guy who owned the car before me would've put money into the car.
    Petrol, your mate told to you bs.
    Said mate mainly buys diesels, so he could be thinking about things differently.
    The clutch "spring" name are the clutch pressure plate. Yes these can fail if the previous owners (if there was any) count the money and sis not bought the full clutch kit. It may damage your flywheel if there are loose parts on the clutch housing. Yes you can DIY but it is not easy. Not because it is difficult, sometimes there are so hard to access to the bolts/nuts.
    Not sure if owner before the guy I got it off spent money on it.
    DIY temporary garage!If you have access to excavator and the suitable land for digging, you can make a small trench. Long-long time ago nobody did not had a car lifts, only the trenches. Sure not that type more like concrete, wooden or metal. Only be careful, if your soil are loose you can make only very small one. Even that helps a load to get better access to under the car. Some timber and wooden blocks can make the gearbox handling easier.
    May have access to a shed that the car will fit into. Said shed has a few jacks. Also may have access to a lad my mates know who has a proper car lift. The lad who owns the shed knows about cars, so shall see if he'll assist.
    Waterson wrote: »
    Hi OP, sounds like you have a clutch pressure plate issue. The 2.0 engine isn't too bad to remove, no need to drop subframe. A couple of axle stands and a decent jack will suffice. Expect to pay around 350-400 in a garage for same.
    Cheers.

Because you deal by unknown condition of the clutch, be ready for surprises. Do not cut the corners as previous owner did. Order/buy entire clutch kit the clutch, the pressure plate, center bearings, slave cylinder. If your car fly wheel are bad, you need to replace that too.

Yes these can fail if the previous owners (if there was any) count the money and sis not bought the full clutch kit.
    Checked the booklet; services done every 9k, and previous owner said a new clutch was put in about 20k ago. I trust the previous owner.

Can the clutch "just be squeaky"? Previous owner said it was squeaky for him, but I have only noticed it within the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭XLR 8

the_syco wrote: »

Could be clutch release bearing or fork. Inexpensive parts but labour charges will be high. The gearbox has gotta come out. Put a whole new clutch assembly in if it is the bearing and be done with it forever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement