Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick ladies

• 02-03-2019 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

So International Womens Day is this Friday, March 08th but I would love to hear some names on who ye think are influential and inspiring Limerick women for whatever reasons...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Annie Fitz

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

First in with Dolores O'Riordan. International acclaimed for her music, synonymous with Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

So International Womens Day is this Friday, March 08th but I would love to hear some names on who ye think are influential and inspiring Limerick women for whatever reasons...

Oooooh there are so many! I think there are many Limerick women of a certain vintage that are the best! They literally don't give a flying f%&k about what anyone thinks of them and I love that about them.

Obviously there are the likes of Dolores O'Riordan, Catherine Hayes, Kate O'Brien etc whom were enormously influential internationally. I also find Anne Blake and Emma Langford hugely inspiring as Limerick artists. Joy Neville and Carolyn Hayes are two sports people I really admire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The history of Limerick Lace is something not too many people are aware of, at its height nearly 2,000 Limerick women earned a living (which was used to support a larger family), in the types of accommodation typical of the times...surrounded by poverty and all the associated issues...building an industry supplying a product that to this day are recognised as of the highest quality!!

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/limerick-lace-part-citys-social-fabric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Writer Kate O'Brien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Becky Lynch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

So Limerick Lass finally came back and none of you peasants welcomed her back in awe?!

This forum has lost its heart and class.

You're an inspiring and influential Limerick Woman Lass - Welcome home!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Vicky Phelan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

DoDo Reddan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Annie Fitz

Jaysus, haven't seen her in years, where is she now or is she even still with us?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jaysus, haven't seen her in years, where is she now or is she even still with us?

She passed away about 4 or 5 years ago, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

She passed away about 4 or 5 years ago, I think.

5 years this year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

5 years this year.
    I remember seeing Hermitage Green at a gig in the Róisín Dubh the day she died. They dedicated a song to her that night. Hard to believe that was all the way back in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

That Hermitage Green song about her is fabulous. Not much a fan of their music at all but that one's a beautiful tune

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

leakyboots wrote: »
    That Hermitage Green song about her is fabulous. Not much a fan of their music at all but that one's a beautiful tune

A song about Annie Fitz?

bigpink wrote: »
    A song about Annie Fitz?

"Misfits". Not entirely about her, but inspired by herself and people like her.

Advertisement