Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes a Star Trek movie/tv episode "Proper Star Trek" for you?

• 03-03-2019 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at reactions to various releases there seems to be a bit of a divide as to what makes something "proper Trek" so I am going to open this thread to let you all define what it is that, to you, makes something worthy of the Star Trek name.
    I ask that you steer clear of ranting about how such and such is NOT and focus on what is.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Any trek where james Tiberius Kirk was born and raised in Iowa in a happy family environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Inviere

For me, the TNG episode "The Inner Light" is pure, unfiltered Star Trek. A well told, no unnecessary frills, human condition story. There are many others like it, but Star Trek for me was always great when it showed us how to be the best person you can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Techno babble nonsense :D

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Rawr

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Any trek where james Tiberius Kirk was born and raised in Iowa in a happy family environment.

I'd kind of go with this myself. For me, Trek is Trek if it has a relationship with the Trek I've grown up with over the many years.

JJ-Trek had some fun moments for sure, but it was essentially a "Do-over". The whole world of Star Trek that had grown in my mind didn't exist there, and so it did not feel like "real" Trek in my head.

Discovery is dancing about on the border a bit for me. It is playing fast and loose with TOS-era Star Trek while redesigning a lot of it. Some elements belong to the Trek universe I know...but a lot of it is completely out of place. Despite declarations of the show belonging to a "Prime" continuity, until they iron out more of the inconsistencies it doesn't feel like proper Trek....at least not yet. Until they pull that off, this still feels like a kind parallel universe Trek, that is very similar...but not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s not Star Trek unless Abraham Lincoln is in the viewfinder, floating in space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement