Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD Trip Switch

Options
  • 03-03-2019 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi. My RCD trip switch turned off affecting a number of appliances and it wouldn't reset. I unplugged the kettle first and it reset for me. However when I switched on the immersion it tripped again so I reset it again. Is it possible that both the kettle and immersion are faulty or am I looking at a bigger problem. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most likely it is just one issue. The chances of 2 problems occurring almost simultaneously is far less likely. Intermittent RCD issues can often be caused by an immersion when it fails. Switch off the immersion switch and see if the problem persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Kettle is working now so I switched the immersion back on to test it and the rcd trip switch went again so problem is immersion. Any idea what might be the problem with the immersion. Thanks again.

Also the immersion was turned off when the RCD trip switch went off. Not sure what to make of that.

Just found a leak coming from the top of the tank and some insulation appears to have worn away. Also pretty sure there is a water mark on ceiling in kitchen so guess I'll be looking for a plumber.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You may find that water is causing a short within the termination part of the immersion element. It would be best to turn the immersion off at the isolation switch as this disconnects the neutral as well as the live connection to the immersion element (completely disconnecting any fault).

• Advertisement
Advertisement