Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major issue with bedroom wardrobe I purchased

Options
  • 03-03-2019 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi, I purchased a new bedroom wardrobe from a company in Dublin. They have a website, Facebook page, store etc.. to confirm they are legit.

Agreed a price, they sent 2 workers to install it when I was at work. I left the money with the young one(18) who was in the house while they where there.

Got home to discover the sliding door doesn't slide open as it should. I have to force this open and while forcing it, the whole wardrobe is moving about and feels like it'll fall over if given anymore force. It's that bad. If I had items in there, they'd fall all over the place.

Not only that, there's plastic peeling all over it and looks very shabby! The last thing I want to do when I get home is start peeling this off. I could easily scrape it if not done correctly. I paid for it to be installed with no maintenance from me in the first few hours I seen it.

As well, I asked for 2 hanging rails on both sides for him and her sides and a section in the middle for sharing. The length is 2m long and roughly 2m in height for a perspective.

I have contacted them and they said it was all ok when their workers left. I mentioned I wanted a new one which they replied it can't be returned! They said they can't come to look at it for 3 weeks since I'm 3 hours away. They do an all Ireland service!

Legally where do I stand! This wardrobe is now a safety concern to me and my kids. I am very disappointed with this product plus the response I'm getting. This is not how a customer should feel. They ate making me feel as if the problem is mine to with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Images attached above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The plastic is a protective covering designed to be removed.

It looks like an Ikea wardrobe, is it? Did you pay them to deliver/install?

amcalester wrote: »
    The plastic is a protective covering designed to be removed.

It looks like an Ikea wardrobe, is it? Did you pay them to deliver/install?

The plastic isn't the major issue.i know this has to be removed however if I'm.paying for it to be installed, I expect the installers to remove this without scratching it. Theast thing I want to do after a hard days work is start peeling off plastic from this. They where paid for it. Of this was just the issue, I wouldnt be that to pissed, I'd have removed it, however opening it is very difficult and feels like it could fall on top of someone because there's alot of force needed to open it! The other side opens ok. Plus, I wanted a rail on both sides, they didn't do this. Just 2 hanging rails on the same side top and bottom. A his and hers side by side split in the middle. This isn't what was provided!

• Advertisement

It wasn't Ikea. Found them on Facebook and was expecting a good service!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They have to rectify in a reasonable time. While 3 weeks is a long time your only other option is to go down the Small Claims route which is premature at this stage. Bear with it and see if they rectify it would be my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It looks like a modular wardrobe, in that the internal layout can be designed to suit your needs so they should be able to re-fit the inside so you have his and hers rails.

I have an ikea one, slightly taller than yours but very similar looking, it seemed quite unstable when first built but once I added in the internal extras such as drawers at the bottom and rails at the top, it was sturdier. It also came with bolts to be attached to the wall and each side should be bolted to the other at the top, at the front and the back.

The door not opening is annoying but they should fix this, probably the runner is not on properly.

They have to rectify in a reasonable time. While 3 weeks is a long time your only other option is to go down the Small Claims route which is premature at this stage. Bear with it and see if they rectify it would be my advice.

What is reasonable time. 3 weeks seems excessive time to wait! With a safety concern, this should be sorted straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

kingbhome wrote: »
    What is reasonable time. 3 weeks seems excessive time to wait! With a safety concern, this should be sorted straight away.

On a practical level it doesn't really matter. Reasonable is not defined as it's dependent on the circumstances. The only way to enforce your consumer rights is through a court and that is going to take longer than three weeks. All you can do is complain and say you're not happy with a three week wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

3 weeks does seem excessive, but when you think about it most of their fitters are probably booked onto other jobs. They’d have to delay some other customer if they pulled someone to address your issues.

And while I get your concerns, it is really an urgent/emergency safety issue?

Get them to commit to a date to visit & fix. Otherwise you can look into the Small Claims Court, assuming it was under €2k in value.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Plus, I wanted a rail on both sides, they didn't do this. Just 2 hanging rails on the same side top and bottom. A his and hers side by side split in the middle. This isn't what was provided!
    Do you have the originally agreed spec that shows that this was included?

Do you have the originally agreed spec that shows that this was included?

Agreed through Facebook messenger

dudara wrote: »
    3 weeks does seem excessive, but when you think about it most of their fitters are probably booked onto other jobs. They’d have to delay some other customer if they pulled someone to address your issues.

And while I get your concerns, it is really an urgent/emergency safety issue?

Get them to commit to a date to visit & fix. Otherwise you can look into the Small Claims Court, assuming it was under €2k in value.

Not happy about the 3 week wait but if they come back and rectify it then all's good. All I want is a large functional wardrobe for my stuff and not having to worry about it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

filling it up will make it a lot more stable. a lot of the weight of these type wardrobes are on the front.

the door probably isnt in the correct track or the wheel isnt turning

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You might consider contacting them in writing ie. email so you will have a record of what is agreed between you.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Would this not be covered by distance selling as in contract was made online (Facebook message) ? Or does the fact " the young one(18)" paid for it affect the contract ?
    Just interested if maybe covered by this as you also have a cooling-off period

They came and fixed the sliding wardrobe so it opens and closes ok. Peeled back the plastic. They agreed on the phone and on msgnr that they would fix the rails side by side however they didnt do this, the workers they sent blunty said they wherent there to start moving the interior of it. . Both where foreign nationals who came to fix the issue and the girlfriend was very intimated by them with their tone and bluntness. For the record, i have many a friends who are from there so im in no way saying anything bad about them. Very hard working people but their tone and talking in their own language and both laughing wasnt very professional yet talked english every other time. Im am now going to start a small claims procedure but have never went down this road before. Any advice on what the process entails now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Mentioning them being foreign really doesn't do anything for your case. It's very, very irrelevant. Best of luck with your wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Mentioning them being foreign really doesn't do anything for your case. It's very, very irrelevant. Best of luck with your wardrobe.

Why not mention it? Its highly unprofessional to speak in different language and snigger whilst dealing with a customer complaint in full knowledge they wont know what you're saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

You should be able to move the rail yourself, if that's the only issue remaining.

Wheety wrote: »
    You should be able to move the rail yourself, if that's the only issue remaining.

Is not that simple. see pics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Is not that simple. see pics

is theree a pic of the inside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Plastic protecer should be removed by customer not installer.
    Set up can easily adjust on these type of modular wardrobe.
    As for the sliding door maybe your daughter knocked it off off the runner.
    It's an easy fix I'm sure the fitters would have ensured it was working before they left.

Plastic protecer should be removed by customer not installer.
    Set up can easily adjust on these type of modular wardrobe.
    As for the sliding door maybe your daughter knocked it off off the runner.
    It's an easy fix I'm sure the fitters would have ensured it was working before they left.

Daughter wasnt near the wardrobe. It was an installers fault. The piece at the top where the runner runs into werent in the correct place. The doors didnt even aline with the wardrobe. This issue has been rectified!

I do not expect to come home from work and start peeling plastic of the wardrobe after left like this in pics. Have you seen them? No way to leave a wardrobe after someone has paid for it.

You cant be sure, you werent there or seen the wardrobe. I seen it not long after they where finished. The fitters where from Dublin, they couldnt wait to get away from the job. Daughter heard them say this to beat traffic.

The issues mentioned above, have been rectified by this company. They sent new installers, they fixed the issues. The doors aline correctly. Open and close ok and they have removed the plastic covering. They agreed the issue with the rails, their new installers will sort this out. Read above about the new installers and the internal layout.

What we wanted was one rail on the left hand side, one on the left hand side split in the middle by box shaped areas for other stuff. There was an extra 50euro charge for an extra rail, we agreed, we mentioned we wanted it on the other side and ok is what we got back. What was left was one rail (rough measurements) 2 and half ft of the bottom of the wardrobe, the other 2 ft above this. This is not acceptable for adult clothes to be hung. Kids clothes yes but not adults.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Daughter wasnt near the wardrobe. It was an installers fault. The piece at the top where the runner runs into werent in the correct place. The doors didnt even aline with the wardrobe. This issue has been rectified!

I do not expect to come home from work and start peeling plastic of the wardrobe after left like this in pics. Have you seen them? No way to leave a wardrobe after someone has paid for it.

You cant be sure, you werent there or seen the wardrobe. I seen it not long after they where finished. The fitters where from Dublin, they couldnt wait to get away from the job. Daughter heard them say this to beat traffic.

The issues mentioned above, have been rectified by this company. They sent new installers, they fixed the issues. The doors aline correctly. Open and close ok and they have removed the plastic covering. They agreed the issue with the rails, their new installers will sort this out. Read above about the new installers and the internal layout.

What we wanted was one rail on the left hand side, one on the left hand side split in the middle by box shaped areas for other stuff. There was an extra 50euro charge for an extra rail, we agreed, we mentioned we wanted it on the other side and ok is what we got back. What was left was one rail (rough measurements) 2 and half ft of the bottom of the wardrobe, the other 2 ft above this. This is not acceptable for adult clothes to be hung. Kids clothes yes but not adults.

That's good it all worked out in the end.
    All's well that ends well

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Valfc5

It sounds like you bought it online. Citizens Advice is a good place to look and see what you legal entitlements are. I did think there was a cooling off period of 14 days after the goods were supplied. good luck and I hope you get it resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

VeVeX wrote: »
    Why not mention it? Its highly unprofessional to speak in different language and snigger whilst dealing with a customer complaint in full knowledge they wont know what you're saying.

Before the OP edited their post, they didn't mention anything about sniggering. Just that they were foreign. That was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Escapees

I can't help but wonder if this thread is a wind-up?!

I'd much rather peel protective film off new products myself than leave to an installer who might well have grubby hands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I would say the lesson here is don't buy services or big money items from Facebook. It is a haven for chancers of all description.

Advertisement