Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bone Spicules after extraction

• 03-03-2019 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Looking for dentists thoughts on the following.

Bottom left premolar extracted 3 weeks ago to make space as started invisalign treatment two weeks prior to extraction. Hasn't settled, still taking painkillers. About 10 days I had to go back to ortho, so got him to have a look before returning to dentist. He said there was a bone spicule causing the pain. Right enough, went home and managed to get two tiny pieces of bone out of side of gum below extraction side, it did settle down a bit after this and I thought I was going to heal properly. However yesterday is was very painful again and I got more tiny bone fragments out of side of jaw. I'm sitting here now, 3 weeks and 2 days after extraction and it is still painful, and there are still tiny pieces left in there. I know because I can feel them with the tip of my finger, but I can't get to them to remove. I think the dentist will just tell me that they will work their way out eventually but they are slowing down the healing and I still am waking at night taking ibuprofen, which I don't want to keep taking, for pain.
    Can any dentists out there advice as to whether a dentist can treat this or will he tell me to just wait it out? Initially I was thinking that the healing process was being hindered by presence of invisalign but it's just going on so long now.. any advice welcomed.. is there anything the dentist can do for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

This is an uncommon complication of an extraction- its rare but it happens to the best of us...

The reason generally is because the tooth is surrounded in the jaw bone by a pretty thin plate of bone to the lip side and the tongue side. In some cases, the thin plate of bone can crack on moving and removing the tooth. If the crack is small and the fragments immobile then it often heals itself with no issues. If the crack is big and there are many mobile fragments then it may cause a prolonged heal like you describe... You may also have ahad a dry socket (from your description...)

At this stage over 3 weeks from the extraction and if you are still seeing fragments then I would recommend some intervention myself.....

First I'd recommend an xray to make sure all appears ok....

then under local anaesthetic, clean and curettage of the socket....

Good luck,

OS

SlinkyL wrote: »
    Looking for dentists thoughts on the following.

Bottom left premolar extracted 3 weeks ago to make space as started invisalign treatment two weeks prior to extraction. Hasn't settled, still taking painkillers. About 10 days I had to go back to ortho, so got him to have a look before returning to dentist. He said there was a bone spicule causing the pain. Right enough, went home and managed to get two tiny pieces of bone out of side of gum below extraction side, it did settle down a bit after this and I thought I was going to heal properly. However yesterday is was very painful again and I got more tiny bone fragments out of side of jaw. I'm sitting here now, 3 weeks and 2 days after extraction and it is still painful, and there are still tiny pieces left in there. I know because I can feel them with the tip of my finger, but I can't get to them to remove. I think the dentist will just tell me that they will work their way out eventually but they are slowing down the healing and I still am waking at night taking ibuprofen, which I don't want to keep taking, for pain.
    Can any dentists out there advice as to whether a dentist can treat this or will he tell me to just wait it out? Initially I was thinking that the healing process was being hindered by presence of invisalign but it's just going on so long now.. any advice welcomed.. is there anything the dentist can do for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I really didn't want to have to go back but I guess I'll just have to ring the dentist tomorrow.

Thanks again
    This is an uncommon complication of an extraction- its rare but it happens to the best of us...

The reason generally is because the tooth is surrounded in the jaw bone by a pretty thin plate of bone to the lip side and the tongue side. In some cases, the thin plate of bone can crack on moving and removing the tooth. If the crack is small and the fragments immobile then it often heals itself with no issues. If the crack is big and there are many mobile fragments then it may cause a prolonged heal like you describe... You may also have ahad a dry socket (from your description...)

At this stage over 3 weeks from the extraction and if you are still seeing fragments then I would recommend some intervention myself.....

First I'd recommend an xray to make sure all appears ok....

then under local anaesthetic, clean and curettage of the socket....

Good luck,

OS

Advertisement