Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 amp adapter.

Options
  • 03-03-2019 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering can you plug a microwave with a 13amp 3 pin uk/Ireland plug and a micro oven with a 13 amp 3 pin uk/Ireland plug into an 3 sided fused adapter with 13amp max load?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Amprodude wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering can you plug a microwave with a 13amp 3 pin uk/Ireland plug and a micro oven with a 13 amp 3 pin uk/Ireland plug into an 3 sided fused adapter with 13amp max load?

This is like the adapter I am using.

https://www.google.com/search?q=3+pin+uk+plug+adapter&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiBppGbyubgAhUYTxUIHQwQBuUQ_AUoAXoECAwQAQ&biw=360&bih=631#imgrc=TVsPfmKlAiwjrM

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Hi

It depends. What is the amperage or wattage of both appliances? This will be written on the plate on the rear of the appliance. For your microwave, it won't be the same as the advertised wattage.

If the two added together come to less than 13A or 3,000W, you can, and can use both together. If they don't, you can technically plug both in, but you should not use them together.

danm14 wrote: »
    It depends. What is the amperage or wattage of both appliances? This will be written on the plate on the rear of the appliance. For your microwave, it won't be the same as the advertised wattage.

If the two added together come to less than 13A or 3,000W, you can, and can use both together. If they don't, you can technically plug both in, but you should not use them together.

This is the microwave I have. I couldnt see Watts on the back of it. It wasn't on it.

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-appliances/microwaves/microwave-only/nn-e281mmbpq.html

The micro oven I have says 1580-1920w on the silver plate at the back.

This is the microwave I have. I couldnt see Watts on the back of it. It wasn't on it.

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-appliances/microwaves/microwave-only/nn-e281mmbpq.html

The micro oven I have says 1580-1920w

I am thinking it short of 3000watts? 1920 +800?800w microwave could it be more than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

The specifications on the Panasonic website say that your microwave draws a maximum of 1000W or 4.35A, while your oven draws a maximum of 1920W or 8.35A.

That's a total of 2920W or 12.7A, which is less than the 13A your adapter is rated for, therefore you should be able to use both at once through this adapter.

As you're extremely close to the 13A rating of the socket, the adapter and the fuse inside the adapter, you should really make sure you're using a good quality adapter. Some very cheap adapters sold in pound shops and the like don't meet the relevant British Standards (despite claiming to) and really aren't suitable for the amount of current they claim to be rated for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sorry to bump this - but I'd rather do that than start my own thread.

Is it safe for me to plug a Microwave and Fridge Freezer into an adapter (and extension cord).

There is only one wall socket behind the fridge, but it's the only place I can plug in the microwave. Microwave is a 900W KENWOOD K25MMS14. Fridge is a fairly standard upright fridge freezer made by Zanussi. It is a nightmare to get it out to see the actual details, so I don't know model number or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

If your microwave oven does not have direct hesting elements (not a combination microwave)
    I would say ok to use in the way you suggested

uote="errlloyd;112176351"]Sorry to bump this - but I'd rather do that than start my own thread.

Is it safe for me to plug a Microwave and Fridge Freezer into an adapter (and extension cord).

There is only one wall socket behind the fridge, but it's the only place I can plug in the microwave. Microwave is a 900W KENWOOD K25MMS14. Fridge is a fairly standard upright fridge freezer made by Zanussi. It is a nightmare to get it out to see the actual details, so I don't know model number or whatever.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You'll be fine. There's no way a fridge freezer uses near 2kW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thanks folks!

Advertisement