Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty points

• 03-03-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Do I have to notify Insurance company of 3 penalty points or is it time enough at renewal date which is next September.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you don't let them know and something happens you will be screwed.
    It can be easily checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

You're better off declaring them. I think most companies won't load a policy unless 4 points or over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

hillbloom wrote: »
    Do I have to notify Insurance company of 3 penalty points or is it time enough at renewal date which is next September.

When you took out policy you had none, I don't see why you would need to ring them now and say you have

It is 3 points, not 23

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    When you took out policy you had none, I don't see why you would need to ring them now and say you have

It is 3 points, not 23

Every insurance policy has terms that stipulate you must notify them of any change of circumstance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

fritzelly wrote: »
    Every insurance policy has terms that stipulate you must notify them of any change of circumstance
    Would penalty points be considered a change of circumstance though?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I had 3 myself, thankfully expired since last year. I didn't notify Aviva, but they contacted me by letter and asked me to fill in an enclosed form.

Funnily enough, I had asked the broker if I needed to contact them if I got points, they said if it's only three points notification wasn't necessary. :(

Contact them, all that will happen is a slight increase in your premium next year. Better safe than sorry.

Esel wrote: »
    Would penalty points be considered a change of circumstance though?

Will be up to the individual insurer - their clauses do not preclude anything, 3 points is neither here nor there - but why hide it and then get stung if something happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They'll say it won't make it increase but it will increase. Have to tell them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

They'll say it won't make it increase but it will increase. Have to tell them though.

A lot of insurance companies have a "No penalty points discount" meaning they will inadvertently charge if you have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I think they have access to database to check your driver number against PP now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RSA
    10.Disclosure of Penalty Points
    If you, or any driver whose driving is covered
    by this policy, are convicted of any offence
    under the Road Traffic Acts this is a material
    fact and the following information must be
    disclosed at the next renewal date of the
    policy.
    1. The type of offence(s)
    2. The number of penalty points
    imposed for the offence(s)
    3. The date(s) of conviction(s)
    4. The driver number, printed on the
    driving licence, of the driver on
    whom the penalty points have been
    imposed

AIG
    Material Facts
    If the details upon which this
    insurance was entered into
    change you must advise us as
    soon as reasonably possible.
    These facts are shown in the
    statement of insurance that
    forms part of this policy.

Just two examples.
    CHECK WITH YOUR INSURER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Insurance is a “contract of utmost good faith” meaning you need to notify them of anything that may be relevant to you and your insurance. Penalty points definitely count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

It may not be stipulated, but a key role of an insurance company is to use the letter of a contract to mitigate or remove their liability.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It may not be stipulated, but a key role of an insurance company is to use the letter of a contract to mitigate or remove their liability.

Couldn't agree with that at all. Insurers aren't perfect by any means but an essential part of their remit is to pay claims in an effort to compensate genuine claimants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ED E wrote: »
    RSA

AIG

Just two examples.
    CHECK WITH YOUR INSURER.
    For RSA is that just in the case of a conviction, i.e. when you've received them through court? Would fixed charge offence ones apply?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

TheChizler wrote: »
    For RSA is that just in the case of a conviction, i.e. when you've received them through court? Would fixed charge offence ones apply?

You'd really need to ask them directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Tomhammer

I notice they can cancel a policy if you notify them about something and they don't like it

If you didn't notify them about 3 points and then had 6 you might be screwed if you rang them

Tomhammer wrote: »
    I notice they can cancel a policy if you notify them about something and they don't like it

If you didn't notify them about 3 points and then had 6 you might be screwed if you rang them

Any insurer can cancel if there's blatant non disclosure.

Any insurer can cancel if there's blatant non disclosure.

What if you're late disclosing something, for example if you inadvertently leave it until renewal?

Tomhammer wrote: »
    What if you're late disclosing something, for example if you inadvertently leave it until renewal?

That's a grey area. The answer is to make sure your nose is clean. If it goes wrong no insurer will want to know you.

• Advertisement

That's a grey area. The answer is to make sure your nose is clean. If it goes wrong no insurer will want to know you.

That's what I figured , thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Couldn't agree with that at all. Insurers aren't perfect by any means but an essential part of their remit is to pay claims in an effort to compensate genuine claimants.

:D okay. But, I don't think we're disagreeing. An insurance company, if worthwhile, will look at the fine print to see if they can reduce their liability. They'd not be doing their jobs if they didn't. They are not a charity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement