Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Unthe problem with the MY performance is that it's the slowest performance Tesla for sale. The LR M3 is nearly the same speed to 60.

That last statement didn't look quite right, so just checked 0-60 times (a reliable comparison website) and it states

M3P 3.2s
    MYP 3.4s

Very little in it as you would expect, the Model Y being just a bit heavier

Linky

And significantly slower:

M3LR 4.0s
    MYLR 4.4s
    My own MSP (2014) 3.9s
    Current base MS 3.9s

None of them particularly slow though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

unkel wrote: »
    That last statement didn't look quite right, so just checked 0-60 times (a reliable comparison website) and it states

M3P 3.2s
    MYP 3.4s

Linky

M3LR 4.0s
    MYLR 4.4s
    My own MSP (2014) 3.9s
    Current base MS 3.9s

In my test drive in the MYLR - it was plenty fast! More than enough acceleration for anyone I would think. You can also add on the acceleration boost for $2K if you want it to go quicker.

It's not just acceleration why I would want a Performance model :-)

Go test drive one yourself on the twisties in track mode and you know what I'm talking about.

M3P 3.2s
    MYP 3.4s

Linky

M3LR 4.0s
    MYLR 4.4s
    My own MSP (2014) 3.9s
    Current base MS 3.9s

You fond of the word "significant" as if 4.0s is "significantly" slower than 3.5

What was it that started you off there a couple of years ago ? oh yes, the Ioniq was "significantly" faster than the then old gen leaf :D

Going from the i3 Rex to M3P , now that is "significant" :D

3s is significantly and very noticeably faster than 4s
    8s is significantly and very noticeably faster than 10s

So yes ;)

• Advertisement

3s is significantly and very noticeably faster than 4s
    8s is significantly and very noticeably faster than 10s

So yes ;)

Unkel's new nick name, Mr Significant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Am I strange in that I find my 5.5s MS plenty fast. But then it's twice as fast as any car I've had in the last 15 years. In my youth I had a 2l petrol sports convertible which was plenty fast.

Like you say it depends to a large extent on what you are used to and what you are expecting. I'm a petrol head. Well I was until the world moved to EVs anyway :D Several of my family cars were V8 petrol powered and I've owned a few Porsches too. For 99% of the people 0-60 in 5.5s is plenty fast, personally I like it a bit faster than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

5.6 in my SR+ is plenty plenty fast......

Especially coming from a 163hp BMW tractor... (well it was 163hp when it was new in 2006, surely it lost a few by the time I picked it up 6 years later!!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

garo wrote: »
    Am I strange in that I find my 5.5s MS plenty fast. But then it's twice as fast as any car I've had in the last 15 years. In my youth I had a 2l petrol sports convertible which was plenty fast.

Especially coming from a 163hp BMW tractor... (well it was 163hp when it was new in 2006, surely it lost a few by the time I picked it up 6 years later!!)

They are plenty fast. Especially if coming from normal cars.
    I’ve had M3’s before, S3’s and V8’s so while the SR+ is fast it’s not “fast” :)

I currently have a 161 MS85 loaner from the SC, it’s plenty fast but noticeably slower than my P85.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    I currently have a 161 MS85 loaner from the SC, it’s plenty fast but noticeably slower than my P85.

The brown one? I had that too, was stuck in chill mode while I had it. Plenty slow :(

Especially coming from a 163hp BMW tractor...

Diesels are slow as hell. I schmoked a good few Audi and BMW diesels in my 118BHP Ioniq :p By the time their engine had started* I was usually near the other side of the junction already

* one of a million tricks applied to diesels near the end of their product life cycle trying to improve emissions / efficiency / performance of that obsolete technology. All failing of course, EGR, DMF, start stop, DPF, ad blue, emissions test bypass cheating software...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The brown one? I had that too, was stuck in chill mode while I had it. Plenty slow :(

Diesels are slow as hell. I schmoked a good few Audi and BMW diesels in my 118BHP Ioniq :p By the time their engine had started* I was usually near the other side of the junction already

* one of a million tricks applied to diesels near the end of their product life cycle trying to improve emissions / efficiency / performance of that obsolete technology. All failing of course, EGR, DMF, start stop, DPF, ad blue, emissions test bypass cheating software...

*Diesels* are not slow as hell.
    Some diesels are slow as hell, inherently. The same as some EVs are.

The good era of diesels for performance was in the mid to late '00s, with the likes of the BMW m50d range, the VAG V10 and V12 TDi models etc.

The second gen X5 m50d would smoke (in every sense of the word) most cars on the road including EVs off the line, given the quad turbo setup. The m550d (only sold in LHD markets) was quicker again.

Then again, some of the best diesels (IMO) are not about speed, but power. The 6BT, the OM606, the XUD series, and the ford/IDI series are four of my favorite diesel engines, none of which have mega HP, but would tow down a house. Especially the first and the last. Then getting a bit newer, the 6cyl twin turbo diesel in my e61.

I was a bimmer fanboy before being a Tesla fanboy, and certainly was (and remain) a dieselhead.

The good era of diesels for performance was in the mid to late '00s, with the likes of the BMW m50d range, the VAG V10 and V12 TDi models etc.

Yeah. Or in Ireland where we had the Audi 2.0l TDI / BMW 520d. Slow as hell, but you heard them coming from miles away :rolleyes:

Glad that sh1t will soon be gone from our roads.

Those types of cars could be EVs in 99% of cases. No one cares whether your boring day to day car, like a 520d or the priest's new teeeyoooteee eventless is a petrol, diesel or EV.

I'm talking about interesting cars. Or interesting trucks. Have a commuter 5 series range of EVs but keep the M5, for instance.

"performance" diesels never sold here as they didn't have the chape tax people were dying for.

Used to be a BMW fanboy myself, but when there were no more petrol BMWs (or any other luxury petrol car with at least 6 cylinders) to be bought when I wanted to replace my E60, I was forced to go EV (would never buy a diesel)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Series production to begin in Berlin in January 2022. I thought that was always the timeline anyway?

It's a risky move by Tesla though. And perhaps a wrong choice, to supply the Model Y to Europe only from the Berlin factory. As you can see already, VW is earlier to market in this popular segment. They are clearing up the market for new EV owners with the ID.4. All those people won't now be buying any Model Y next year. Or the year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

At this rate Irish deliveries will be a mid life refresh.

Will they even get here inside 3 years from its announcement?
    Meanwhile VW are flogging ID.4’s as quickly as they can make them, €10-15k cheaper, and it was only announced last Sept.

people joked for years about the ‘mainstream manufacturers’ not able to catch Tesla - they’ve already passed them lads.

Beepbeep data is being updated as I type. I expect big numbers for VW in the EV market, considering how many I can nearly see from my sitting room window here in commuterland, most of them Tesla’s customers I suspect.

sk8board wrote: »
    At this rate Irish deliveries will be a mid life refresh.

Will they even get here inside 3 years from its announcement?
    Meanwhile VW are flogging ID.4’s as quickly as they can make them, €10-15k cheaper, and it was only announced last Sept.

people joked for years about the ‘mainstream manufacturers’ not able to catch Tesla - they’ve already passed them lads.

Beepbeep data is being updated as I type. I expect big numbers for VW in the EV market, considering how many I can nearly see from my sitting room window here in commuterland, most of them Tesla’s customers I suspect.

LOL.
    Can I have some of what you're smoking?

http://ev-sales.blogspot.com/2021/05/2021-q1-sales-by-oem.html

Tesla might finish 2021 as largest EV manaufacturer on the globe but beyond that they will probably be eclipsed by attacks on multiple fronts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Na, they will destroy the comp when we get the Tesla 2 from the Gigafactory

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

VW is 4 years behind Tesla, so said the VW CEO himself recently. Obviously the biggest car maker in the world, now firmly on this path to electrification, is going to do well. And fair play to them.

When you think about it, VW are coming out with 2 electric cars at the same time, Nissan released their first in 2010 and still only have 1 100% EV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When you think about it, VW are coming out with 2 electric cars at the same time, Nissan released their first in 2010 and still only have 1 100% EV.

To be fair VW were selling 2 EVs back in 2014 e-Up! and e-Golf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

most of them Golf, Superbs, Octavian, A4, Tiguan customers I suspect.

Fixed your post.

liamog wrote: »
    To be fair VW were selling 2 EVs back in 2014 e-Up! and e-Golf :D

Ha, yeah true, how could I forget ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

LOL.
    Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Tesla only account for 10% of the ev market so far this year, with their sales actually lagging last year, when everyone else is miles ahead.

My point was simply that vw announced their model Y competitor in Sept 2020 and a few months later its the top selling car by miles; which is what the big manufacturers do.
    Meanwhile Tesla yet again can’t deliver on their now 2 years old promise to send even one single Y here.

I genuinely don’t believe a word that comes out of Tesla any more, because facts and history tell us they’re simply lying.

I don’t drive my car in California, I drive it here. Tesla have been such a disappointment to 99% of the Irish market.

I put a deposit on a M3 in Apr 2016(!) and cancelled it when it was clear it would take years. Then the Y comes along and it’s ideal, right? Another deposit. Another cancellation.

Now VW have eaten their Irish dinner already and they won’t land a Y here until god knows when.

This sounds anti Tesla, but I’m genuinely just so disappointed.
    All promise and marketing. Zero delivery and substance (here in Ireland).

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Matqo

Tesla only account for 10% of the ev market so far this year, with their sales actually lagging last year, when everyone else is miles ahead.

My point was simply that vw announced their model Y competitor in Sept 2020 and a few months later its the top selling car by miles; which is what the big manufacturers do.
    Meanwhile Tesla yet again can’t deliver on their now 2 years old promise to send even one single Y here.

I genuinely don’t believe a word that comes out of Tesla any more, because facts and history tell us they’re simply lying.

I don’t drive my car in California, I drive it here. Tesla have been such a disappointment to 99% of the Irish market.

I put a deposit on a M3 in Apr 2016(!) and cancelled it when it was clear it would take years. Then the Y comes along and it’s ideal, right? Another deposit. Another cancellation.

Now VW have eaten their Irish dinner already and they won’t land a Y here until god knows when.

This sounds anti Tesla, but I’m genuinely just so disappointed.

Rant over!

Care to share how one would place a deposit for a model Y in Ireland?

I believe we should start seeing Y on Irish roads in about a years from now, though it will be interesting to see how much priority RHD will receive in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rant over!

Do Tesla actually have a marketing department?

Their production capabilities are pretty common knowledge their manufacturing base was minimal 3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You could say that VW announced their Model Y competitor in Shanghai in 2017. The I.D. Crozz was the concept car that came before the ID. 4.
    Tesla claim they don't do concept vehicles, realistically they do, they are just much much closer to the final production model.

Advertisement