Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Unfortunately it's worse than that - the price I'd agreed with them WAS the €8k less price, but they're getting cold feet about even that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry to hear it. The market is in chaos because of it.

And I honestly don't understand why Tesla did it. It seems an extremely aggressive tactic to increase market share, no punches pulled. Not really consistent with a company that is first and foremost interested in getting the world to move to electric cars, any brand electric car, not per se a Tesla.

And if more people are in your situation, it might even backfire somewhat. You were happy to do the deal with your own car worth €8k less than 10 days ago. But if it's going to be worth another €2-3k less again, you might not be able to do the deal at all, so will have to stick with your car for another year or two. So no sale for Tesla. I'm not in a dissimilar situation myself, I'd say the chance I will go ahead with my Model Y purchase is slim now.

In your case, maybe ring all the dealers like Zucar and the like first thing tomorrow morning and put your car up on DoneDeal for a few thousand under the next cheapest? You might get someone to buy it who is not yet fully up to speed on what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

With traders and private sales you have to act fast, take what you’ve agreed and get the deal done. Even if that means renting something cheap as a stopgap. People get cold feet/circumstances change etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Tesla is a market disrupter, the seems bang in line with that model and their goal to push EVs. Give them parity with ICE and the masses will buy EVs.

6.96kwp South facing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've left my Y order in play but the chances of taking it get slimmer and slimmer due to Tesla's impact on the used market, mind you if you have a banger and are getting a Tesla then you've won!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Not sure if I agree. There was already parity with ICE if you take into account the total cost of ownership. The masses were already buying EVs. 15% last year and 25-30% of all car sales in Ireland expected to be pure EV this year (before this Tesla price cut) and Ireland is behind the rest of Europe. 2024 probably over 40%. Rapid but steady progress. Disruptive, but manageable.

And I don't think Tesla has the production capacity to meet all the new extra demand caused by this massive price drop. I liked the pre-price drop situation better, where on the one hand Tesla are on a rapid growth path towards 10 million cars (thus the biggest car maker in the world even in number of cars, bigger than Toyota or Volkswagen have ever been) within about 7-10 years and others quickly change and do well out of the electrification too. Mainly VW, but also Kia / Hyundai and the German luxury brands too. Most others might survive if they turn around quickly enough. And of course enormous pressure at the bottom of the market from Chinese companies like BYD and more upmarket ones like Xpeng, Nio, etc.

Now a lot of those companies will be in trouble. The whole market might stagnate as nobody wants to buy overpriced cars and Tesla can't build their cars quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Hi Folks,

Qucik question – I’m considering a new Model Y Long Range. With the recent price drop it’s coming to e53,940 without any extras. If I add in Enhanced Autopilot it is coming to e63,026 – it no longer qualifies for the SEAI Grant. I’m assuming that Enhanced Autopilot is not worth an extra e9K? Thanks.

You can add EAP later, @Matt406. After you get the car. Then it will only cost you €3800

At the moment it doesn't add a lot of value in Europe unless you value summon and self parking. The experience on motorways is better. This could change at any point though. My car has FSD and the beta that all FSD cars in North America now have access to is awesome. It really is fully self driving now in all circumstances (with the caveat that the driver is still 100% responsible at all times)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭iknorr

I found the 3 to be a driving car. Definitely more sporty. I felt small inside it with that give front window. It's an amazing driver. That's purely down to the lower seating position.

The Y is higher and a bit more comfortable to get in and out of. Seats are identical as far as I can tell.

The left leg has more freedom in the 3 than the Y. Once you are in the car, the 3 is a better driver.

The Y is still better than 99% of SUVs out there based on driving. There really isn't a huge amount between them other than the height.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭iknorr

Douglas? White too.

He was very confident.

I'm driving a car that's 0-100 in 7 seconds. This car was much faster than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Price parity was indeed there with overall cost of ownership, unfortunately the masses still hadn’t twigged this and getting a bit more cash upfront was beyond people.

It’s no different to having a more efficient house will lower your bills, but will they spend big for the long term gain?

A car is such a large fuel expense when comparing to a house an EV vs ICE is better bang for your Buck than double glazed vs single glazed windows for example.

The mission statement is clear “to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass-market electric cars to market as soon as possible.”

It doesn’t say it wants to manufacture every car in the world but by dropping prices it will force other manufacturers to sit up and take notice. It would be far better if the likes of VW reduced their production of ICE cars and invested heavily in the EV side, economies of scale would follow.

Agree there is a risk of stagnation but is that true or were the legacy car manufacturers EV production ambitions too low and is this the kick up the arse they need.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Yep that suits me. Have a banger worth little and can get new Y. However plan was to get a used model 3 in a year trading in my 520d. Will have to see how things move.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Thanks, that all makes sense and reinforces my thoughts on going for 3 instead of Y.

I always had in the back of my mind that it would be too much of a change to move from a GTI to a cuv / suv even though it's widely considered that the Y handles well. So to me the 3 is a 'safer' bet right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

You can add this feature after getting the car. It's just a software update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Tesla only cut their prices for 2 reasons:

1. increased competition
    2. rapid Q4 increase in unsold inventory

by all accounts (esp the Tesla fanboy a/c’s online), they’re saying in recent days that unsold US inventory’s are already starting to rise again, across all models, irrespective of price cuts.

if that’s correct, Tesla could still have an issue shifting unsold inventory for a long time, at a time when their strategic goal is to expand production and build new factories.

The UK market for Tesla is saturated with cheap lease deals on company cars, all coming to an end now.

car production lines don’t get turned up or down - they get turned on or off.

TLDR: Tesla are producing more cars than they can sell. the whole market is deflating quite quickly, both ICE and EV

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

US is different as there’s a recession scare.

re earlier points of price parity being reached so the public will go EV, you’re forgetting about the sh1tshow we call public charging and with all these newbie Teslas the city SuC in Cork and Dublin will be queues

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

Newbies 🥱 sorry, we'll be sure to make way for you so you're not inconvenienced!

@sk8board - "Tesla only cut their prices for 2 reasons:

1. increased competition
    2. rapid Q4 increase in unsold inventory

"

Not that old nonsense again. The only reason Tesla wasn't selling cars in the USA late last year is that the $7500 subsidy was starting this year. Why on earth would anyone buy a car if a few weeks later the same car cost $7500 less? Right, nobody did. Tesla did temp drop the price of the cars with $7500 but only for December deliveries, and only in the USA

@sk8board - "The UK market for Tesla is saturated with cheap lease deals on company cars, all coming to an end now."

Where did you hear that? It's the opposite, Tesla Model Y will likely be the best selling car in the UK this year. It was already the second best selling car over there in the last few months, before these price drops. Increased competition? Seriously where do you pick up all this nonsense from? The competition just got a devastating blow.

Note: I just observe, I was no fan of this price cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

I’ve 2 offers 1k below asking on the table. 1 dealer, 1 private on my id4 (it’s well priced to be fair)

was holding out for asking but after reading this I need to lock it in. Need a backup car though 🙈

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would be grabbing the cash asap.

One person posted in the Tesla group today that their trade offer to buy their ID4 was cancelled as they are not taking any EV until the EV market settles after the tesla bombshell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

It is, just the standard and long range under the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

What the likely hood of getting a Model y in Feb or March.I order in Jan did anybody get a estimate date.

RWD I’d say you will get one if ordered.

There will be cancellations but word of warning. People from all walks of life know about these price drops now, I know 2 people who ordered this week who I never in a million years thought I’d see in a Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Tesla’s own financial returns showed a huge increase in unsold inventory across all major markets - so what do you do? You slash the price and shift the inventory.

Another stock market example is Nike - their financial filings also showed a huge increase in inventory on the books in Q4, (they overproduced in China during covid thinking the supply bottleneck would remain a problem) - so they had a massive sale in Dec and Jan and shifted it all, much deeper sales than in the past.

Tesla isn’t any different. Slash the prices, shift the inventory off the balance sheet. Investors hate unsold inventory - it’s a forecast killer.

Edit: what I’m wondering is - if they can get back to a position of selling more than they can produce, or even matching it, I would assume they’ll increase prices again, even just a little.

Unsold inventory is the thing to watch over the next few quarters

• Advertisement

Talks of the US inventory stock going low. The price will increase in July when we reduce the grant but Tesla won’t see any difference there and all EV’s will suffer the same increase.

The question is, will the manufacturers reduce the prices then or keep them high.

Advertisement