Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I hear some saying it's "ugly" , I've sat in it and don't think it's ugly at all

I'll test drive once it's on the ground but I've forfeited my 100 euro booking , couldn't chance the ride being too hard ,hope reviews are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wouldnt have cancelled the booking. You're bound to be able to test drive before you can buy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

Based on your 100 euro can we assume your car was manufactured and will arrive in ROI as an unsold car? That might work for some people on the fence before a test drive. Is the spec, options similar between UK and ROi, could car be diverted to UK, or presold to someone else?

I say this just because someone else might be interested in ringing Sandyford and enquiring.

Remember if car is made in china to specific colour and spec, it then needs to take a slow boat to Europe which takes months. They also tend to build in batches, particularly right hand drive UK/ROI/ with CCS possibly UK colonies/Japan meaning they may only make one batch every 6 months followed by shipping delays. Personally I would like to drive a car before buying, but cancelling for 100 euro may mean a 6+month delay if you do test drive and like it and reorder later.

SUV style tend to be have more body roll than saloon, so stiffer suspension may be intended to keep handling and roll down. As mentioned tyres can have a massive impact to ride quality. Low profile tyres ruin everyday handling for most cars, and EV tyres tend to be high pressure, high efficiency but less soft than normal tyres. Non standard tyres might impact on car insurance so check and you may be able to use standard smaller wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looks like Irish folk with orders have started receiving VIN's as per the Meta group!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I don’t mind the looks of the 3, nor what I’ve seen online of the Y - I’m very much a minimalist and it’s a plain/less complicated style, probably less build complexity too, but I can completely understand where the consensus view comes from - I wouldn’t call it good looking. In a similar way, I’m drawn to the i4 40 msport. The grill doesn’t bother me at all, but I wouldn’t call it good looking.

having said that, I’d spend €50k on the base white m3 long before I’d spend €65k on the i4 40, and that’s coming from someone who’s most recent new car was a bmw 4gc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I like the look of the Y , each to their own as they say ,3 is probably more handsome though, I've a duff back so low saloons don't suit me

• Registered Users Posts: 65,370 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Couldn't agree more. I would seriously consider a Model Y if they would bring in a base model. One made in Germany that would not attract import duty like the ones made in China should not cost much more than a base Model 3 now. And at that it would be good value for the package.

A RWD 'SR+' version of the Y would clean up here, priced around the €55k mark for a base white one, and a WLPT in or around 450km....

€70k for the cheapest one currently configurable is just too wide of the mark to get many bites....

As I said before, if I could stump up €80k for a Y Performance, I'd find the extra €20k or so and just get an S and the nearly 150km of additional range it brings...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Definitely be more interest in a SR+ Model Y at that price. If they're selling all they can make at 70k they mightn't bother though for a while 🙁

If I could stump up €80k, I'd find the additional €20k and get a Porsche Taycan 😁

(totally agree with your post)

• Advertisement

I'm sure it will eventually come, but in fairness why do it now. As @MightyMunster says, they are currently selling everything they produce, so why concede some of that production capacity to a cheaper version..

I'd say when Berlin gets fully up to speed, and if/when sales relax enough to allow production of a 'lesser' version, it will kick on from there. They'll do it, and sell a sh1t ton of them, and eventually production will adjust as required..

If they could get it in or around the entry level ID.4/Enyaq/Ionic5/EV6 price range it would absolutely clean up. It'll destroy it's competition in range, efficiency performance, technology & safety.

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

Indeed. Tesla have by far the highest margins in the industry. Around 30%, which is unreal, most others that do well barely come out of the single figure. Maximise profits is what the most important goal is of all companies. And that is exactly what they are doing. And the reason they have no immediate plans for any lower end models. Why sell a base Model Y for €55k when they can produce a car that costs just €2k more to make (LR AWD), that they can sell for €70k?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

Won't get an S for an additional €20k anymore, base price for one now is from memory €118k, or it was before they removed the price and order option on their site!

Taycan base spec saloon, in RWD, with no autonomous driving, only 4 seats, inability to charge at pretty much every HPC except Ionity (150kW charging at 400v is a paid option) is all you'll get for the 100k. You'd need to be spending realistically 140+ to get any decent spec Taycan AWD "estate" with equivalent spec. And for that 140k I'll have a new MX P (or a recent used one since you cant buy new) with some change over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you can find €80k then LR Model S used

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yeah I hear what you're saying. For me it would have to be the cross turismo which starts at €104k with solid paint colour and zero options ticked. And it's a bit slow. Pipe dream I guess. Lotto money.

Back in the real world, my next car will also be a Tesla Model S (second hand)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They have.

People in the Tesla Ireland FB Group received texts over the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

on the subject of ride comfort, Tesla UK have some RHD Y’s available to test drive (on 20” wheels) and having read some of the test drive reports I’d summarise it as firm but not harsh, so if you’ve been put off by the reviews I’d definitely wait for a test drive before looking at an alternative.

The ride comfort matters more with the Y than the S or 3 as it’s clearly a family/kids car - cleaning out vomit from the back isn’t fun.

we’ve had various bmw msport suspension cars on 19” run flats (without the dynamic suspension) for about 10years, but now that we have a family I won’t be getting another one. I can completely understand peoples apprehension to wanting to wait to test drive a Y first.

I don’t live in a city thankfully, but you’d nearly lose teeth driving over or around every single manhole cover - I definitely wouldn’t expect to do that in a family suv, and 65% of teslas are sold in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

Aside from the firmness of the ride, I’m just as interested in handling generally which is a potential issue with Tesla/Y.

Some of the more in-depth reviews eg Autogefühl describe the Y as the Tesla with the best-ever driving dynamics. Due to new chassis design and materials.

I’m looking forward to test driving the Y having found previously Tesla test drives (mainly an S, for about a week in total and I freely admit I’m no motoring expert) a little wooden.

If it feels agile, I’d settle for a little firmness.

Plan B is still an I-pace, despite the lower efficiency and range.

The EV6 also looks great.

• Advertisement

are there any deals on the iPace? I’d completely forgotten it, it’s feels a bit old now, which just shows how quickly things are evolving

The iPace is depreciating very quickly in other markets, very few for sale here though. It's (fast depreciation) due to being outdated already. 90kW peak charging is pretty slow. That and the non MY21 cars have an awfully laggy screen

It's a nice car though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve had MSport BMW’s since day 1.

Even with 3 kids, all m sports. 19” RFT, 20”’on some of them too. Never had an issue with kids vomit or anything like that.

There’s always going to be people that suffer this type of thing. It’s very subjective I suppose.

It’s a similar argument about big wheels that you see posted in boards over the years.

I have 21” wheels in my car and it’s more comfortable that the 19” wheels (normal tyres) that’s on the 5 series.

Same. I had 2 e60/1 bmw 535d m sports and people cautioned me about the harsh ride. Allegedly harsh ride, as I found it a lot more comfortable than other 5 series equivalent models

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

Not really. And it’s an expensive car to buy new, no doubt! Especially as you add options.

Anyone on here with experience of driving a Model Y in other markets?

same here, bought my 2006 320d M-Sport in 2012, and immediately put RFT's on it (17"), and always had them on since....

You certainly feel the lumps & bumps in it, and junior was a back seat passenger from birth to Tesla over a 5 year period, and it never once made any of us feel queasy or anything!!!

I'm guessing the Y will be slightly harsher than the Model 3, but not as harsh as the M-Sport on RFT's

We’re all describing our car-guy feelings of msport bmws though lads - the Y is a family suv.

many Y buyers are middle aged drivers in €60-70k suvs like Lexus or BMW X3 or whatever, and are looking to ‘go electric’. Ride will matter to those folks.

doubtful anyone will be upgrading their qashqai to a Y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Autogefühl

This is our in-depth review of the 2022 Tesla Model Y

a strange review, worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Delivery dates confirmed for UK orders. With some handover event on the 19th of Feb

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-united-kingdom-uk-deliveries-event/amp/

• Advertisement

He’s been doing in-depth reviews for years, as we know - the suspension review is 2mins long from 31:30.

He loves tesla generally, but jeez is he scathing about the suspension.

compares it to a Fiesta ST over the portion of road they use for testing ride quality (you can see how jarring it is just from the camera jitter - and he’s on a pretty normal Irish-looking road I would say).

also says it’s one thing Tesla can’t fix with a software update, they need to throw it out and get a German supplier locally to provide and tune the suspension.

Post edited by sk8board on

Advertisement