Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tesla wall connector is good but no PV integration so priced a little cheaper.

wallbox is 599 from easygo after the grant. Supplied and fitted.

zappi is 799 from easygo after the grant. Supplied and fitted.

any plans to install solar PV in the future?

1. any RECI if you want the grant. Easygo currently have the best officer.
    2. not really.
    3. yes.
    4. yes. Work out which ones you need before signing up and bombarding yourself with apps. I have none as I don’t public charge so it’s possible not to need any.
    5. yes, see my signature. Both you and the referrer get the same amount. 200 credits which you can purchase supercharging miles with.

Yes, I have one nearly 2 years in my father in laws. Neat charger with a good little app. No problems and is what I’d have if I don’t have a zappi.

It is indeed, but a lady went to claim the grant today and SEAI refused it. The tesla is not eee approved or it shouldn’t be as it’s not smart. The SEAI had a transition period for dumb chargers but that looks to have expired now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Is it possible to plug in charger cable at say 10 pm but set the car to delay the commencement of charging until say 2 am ?

id like to commence charging at lowest cost energy rate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes, but in order to get the car to stop charging at the end of the low cost period, you have to adjust the final SOC %age each night you charge. Which is not as much of a hassle as some think.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

State Of Charge, how much you have charged the battery.

State of Charge. It's how 'full' the battery is. If you have an RWD, it has a battery with a 60kWh capacity. If your SOC %age shown in the app/car says 25%, it means your car is a quarter full and you have 15kWh of charge on board.

Most home chargers can add 7kWs per hour into the battery, which in your case is 11.6% of the total battery capacity. So if you were on a 2 hour (2-4) Night Boost plan and your RWD was on 25%, that night you'd set the finishing SOC to be 25 + (2 * 11.6) = 48%.

Of course if you had a home charger with a timer, you could set it there and avoid doing the daily calculation and set.

• Advertisement

Ok understood , is having a meter installed essential ?, Bord Gais told me I have the smart plan but didn’t suggest I need to have a meter installed?

When you say 'meter', I'm assuming you mean 'charger' ? The charger is what pumps the charge into the car, a meter only measures things. It wouldn't be up to BG to decide if you want/need a car charger, they won't know anything about your specific situation: what kind of car you drive, how many kms you drive etc.

It's possible to charge the Model Y from a domestic socket. This is called granny charging and as long as your socket is properly wired and safe it's ok to do so. It is 3 times slower however than using a car charger. So in the 3 hour BG window from 2-5, you'll only be able to add 11.6% to your battery in total. That's the equivalent of around 30-35km of range per day for a RWD MY. That might be enough for you. Only you can decide.

A meter displays information with respect of usage, I briefly thought I needed a meter to partake in the cheapest plan for charging, I know the difference between a charger and a meter

I spoke to Bord Gais just now and I am signed up to the best plan for EV owners , between 2 am and 5 am is extremely cheap for charging so I’m thinking of charging more often now but only charging for three hours at a time, not sure if that’s damaging to the Tesla ?, I.E , charging the car from say 70% to maximum on a frequent basis?

Could I not just set the Tesla to commence charging at 2 am and cease charging at 5 am ?

Sorry if it seemed I was 'mansplaining'. BG couldn't put you on a smart plan unless you already had a smart meter and they'd know that from your MPRN.

Absolutely no problem to keep your car constantly at 80-90%. But it's best not to leave your car at 100% for long periods. No problem to regularly charge to 100% if you always start driving shortly afterwards.

It's not possible via the car/app to set a start AND stop time for charging. You can do either but not both.

That’s something I suppose as we’re i to set the car to commence charging at 2am , it would have a lot done by 5 am if it was ( battery) fairly full starting off , once it hits 100% , doesn’t matter if cable is still plugged in at 8 am if full charge was hit three hours earlier?

Not a problem to have the cable in. Many owners will plug in the cable when they come home for the last time that evening and only disconnect when starting off on the first trip the next morning.

So provided you set the car to commence charging at say 2 am, doesn’t matter if you have it plugged in six hours earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Yes that's fine, If you're going on hols etc it's best to leave it plugged in.

Depends on your charger, on my old zappi I'd have to start the charge when I plug it in and then the car will actually start the charge as scheduled in the car.

I'm sure the newer chargers are a bit smarter, and might have an option to stop the charge at 5am for you

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

I don’t think frequent charging causes harm. I did a bit of reading (out of interest more so) and it seems the health of the battery is affected by what’s called the depth of discharge. This is the amount of battery used before charging. E.g 80% down to 60% is 20% DOD. The smaller this number the better over time if I’m reading it right. This means instead of going from 80% down to 20% and charge back to 80% (60% DOD) it would be better to do smaller charges more frequently (perhaps why Tesla say to always be charging). Also if I have it right while up to 90% is ok for charging limit daily use keeping it closer to 65-70% some say is even better.

im happy to be wrong but I think overall you have to find what works for you. These batteries and BMS are way smarter than you or I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 BlueUmbrella

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere back in the thread.

Does anyone have a good suggestion where to source a boot liner for a dog in the MY? One that will fit the shape well. Lots of generic boot liners on Amazon of course, but hoping to find a good fit for MY.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You can do it two ways...

• Set a timer in the car.
    • Set a timer on the charge point. Depends on what charge point you buy as not all have that capability but most do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭lau1247

Looks like there will be some kind of recall happening soon maybe?

It is not clear to me what the actual issue, very poorly described.

"The vehicles have issues that may increase the probability of drivers “mistakenly stepping on the accelerator pedal” for an extended period, which could increase the risk of collision and pose a “safety hazard,” the statement said."

Also ignore the Model "6", I took it as a typo for "Y" (journalist probably typing on the mobile).

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

God that's a badly written/researched article. Typical for CNN.

I wonder if its because if you have your foot on the accelerator in cruise, it flashes a warning saying "autopilot braking not supported while accelerating" or something like that. if the person doesn't see it but are expecting the car to slow then there could be a crash. It seems China is even worse than the US for expecting common sense to be legislated.

"Recall" of 1.1million cars for a software feature??

Edit: Sure enough, here's a slightly less FUDdish article from Reuters. Who also have a bias against Tesla, albeit not as trump-esque as CNN's

China regulator says Tesla to update software of more than 1 million cars | Reuters

The crux seems to be that regenerative braking could confuse people and can't be disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

When it's not really "news" always look for the article sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Hi all new to Tesla and the model Y

should I have Tesla vision on the car at this stage on software version 2023.12.5

thanks for any information

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

A good few of us have had to go through the Factory Reset process to enable it. After the reset you'll need to redo profiles and the autopilot system will need to calibrate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dlynes83

Have dis baby just a wk now 1000km on it and loving every bit of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Thanks for the reply silly question but I see there is a few reset types which one did you do to get it going.

Advertisement